Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    collaboration project
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

collaboration project
 Login/Join

posted
We have many very creative people here, and obviously we have similar literary interests, so I think it's about time we become a little more productive.
The idea sprang up on another thread (I forget which) that we regulars on this forum should collaborate on a project together, be it a book, recording, film, or multimedia.
While a book might be the obvious choice, given our cyber-relationship to one another, I think it might also limit our degree of collaboration. For example, it would be easy to compile short stories from each of us into an anthology, but that would not require any collaboration.
A film might be a better approach to collaboration because although most of us would not be able to be present in person to actually shoot the picture, there would be more ways to collaborate as far as story, concept, production design (including costumes, props, etc.), storyboarding, and various other stages of preproduction.
Dandelion mentioned the possibility of multimedia, which I hadn't thought of, but now think might be a good approach, at least from a creative prospective (whereas the book idea would probably be easier to market) because we could easily take part in creating the actual content while collaborating in an online environment.
Of course, I am not saying we have to do multimedia, I am definitely open to any ideas that anyone has at this point.
I know that several people, including myself have already expressed interest in doing a collaborative project of any sort, and would like to see if and who might seriously want to undertake such an endeavour. Just let me know your thoughts and ideas (as far as content and which medium to use, as well as any other ideas) and post them right here on this thread!
Once again I am open to all opinions, as this is a COLLABORATIVE project. Hope to hear from y'all soon.
-Groon!

Posts: 411 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
groon:

Are you saying that this creative project should be done by...committee? HORRORS!!!

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard, don't be scared! I don't think groon used the word "committee"; he said collaboration, which isn't necessarily the same thing. Think of all the great movies - created by a collaborative group. Think orchestras, operas, football teams!

groon, multimedia would probably allow for a greater diversity of content, viewpoint and approach, but we could end up with a camel rather than a racehorse (to return to the committee metaphor).

How about taking a central metaphor from one of Ray's stories, and the collaborators then produce something around it. The one that sprang into my mind when I was typing that last sentence was "Kaleidoscope" - different characters, part of group, different identities (good metaphor for successful collabotation), drifting off in different directions (not such a good metaphor...)

- Phil

Posts: 406 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It seems to me that we already have some continuity of thought with each individual thread on line. We have each reviewed, raved, or ravished an issue of Rays work. Like the Martian Chronicles we have written a litany of psyber passion, about 1 great Author, and how he has affected our lives. This forum could well be performed on stage as a readers theater. Then filmd/or audio recorded with the involved partys reading from thier responses with those that contrubuted to that thread. Kind of like an old radio show where everyone hears the voices of the bb members. It is late.
uncle

Posts: 248 | Location: Utah, U.S.A. | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Groon,

My vote is for a screenplay but that might limit everyone's ability to participate. A book of short stories/poems/essays inspired by Bradbury might be better.

But Uncle has touched on an excellent point: this entire board is a work of collaborative art! And what a cast of characters. You have the regulars. Those that come and go. The lurkers. All with a unique point of view. One buzzing beehive of activity.

Way to go, Uncle!

Best,

Pete

Posts: 547 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course, a book of stories written by those who were influenced by Ray has been done. 'The Bradbury Chronicles' http://www.geocities.com/tsinniger/Bradbury.html

Multimedia? Well, we sure could kick that one around. Good kick, uncle.

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A book, a book! Let someone write the first page, pass it on to the next one, etc...A max of 3 days per person...It will be fun...
Cheers, Translator

Lem Reader

Posts: 626 | Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, THIS is EXACTLY what I meant by collaboration! Perfect! Obviously it's up to all of us, and I'm loving what I've just read!

Uncle, your idea is amazing. I'd never have thought of it, but it's true. I've tried to explain to a couple of my friends about the goings on around here and the odd assortment of characters, and how strange it is to have all of these friends that I've never seen. Definately an interesting direction.

Philnic,
Camel is the right word. I agree.

Nard,
Yes there have been compilations of tales inspired by Ray, but not one by us, the online fan community!

I do think the book idea is good. How about if we come up with a theme or subject and create a bunch of semi-interconnecting short stories based around the theme? Kind of like Martian Chronicles (subject) or October Country (theme). We could write our stories separately, then figure out the order and then do any necessary rewrites or minor changes to the individual pieces to create a more comprehensive book as a whole.

I do think Uncle's idea warrants more discussion and brainstorming too! Let's keep this thread going!

Posts: 411 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry, double post.

[This message has been edited by groon (edited 07-23-2004).]

posted Hide Post
Groon,

It seems we're heading towards a book. That get's my vote. Of the two you mentioned, my preference is Martian Chronicles.

What do the rest of y'all think?

Best,

Pete

Posts: 547 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If a collection of stories/poems is produced, perhaps the finished product could be printed and presented to Ray?

I'm sure he'd be honored, and he'd get quite a kick out of it.

Posts: 32 | Location: Provo, Utah, USA | Registered: 09 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Martian Chronicles idea is much the better one. Who's in this, then? And what should the theme or topic be?
Cheers, Translator

Lem Reader

Posts: 626 | Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree, the Martian Chronicle-ish book seems like the best route, and the one we're headed down. I guess all we need is a head count; see who's in it, and then we'll start tossing around theme/topic ideas.

posted Hide Post
I'd prefer a movie of all the love stories of Ray's, linked together... like
'The Tombling Day'
and 'Death and the Maiden'.
Or 'Sailor, Home from the Sea'.
And 'The April Witch'.

Goodf grief there are others. OTHERS! The Scythe. Same wheat -field as in 'Sailor'...

'The Martian Chronicles' was done. If anyone is going to do it again, let a Spielberg do it. Someone go over to ''The Milky Way'' restaurant on Santa Monica Boulevard, in LA, where Spielberg's mom owns and works daily, and tell her..."PLEASE ask your son to re-do 'The Martian Chronicles' in his unmistakable style...

Other than that, I am a loss for ideas for TMC.

posted Hide Post
Nard,

Okay, what I referred to in my last post was not a book related to MC in any way, but a book of short stories which (like MC) was a series of short stories built around a similar topic in which the stories link together to form a cohesive whole, in the same way as MC. The question was what the topic would be. Obviously not the colonization of Mars, but some other topic, completely new.