Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Ray referances,star wars, and ?'s
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray referances,star wars, and ?'s
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
You make a good case for Matheson being a huge name in Science Fiction and I agree. Some of my favorite stories and films have been by him. But may I point out that Damon Knight, not Matheson, wrote “To Serve Man”. -- Best

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Richard Matheson is one of my favourite writers, too. LordShen has most of the details correct. Matheson was also the author of I AM LEGEND, which has been filmed several times (best known version being The Omega Man starring Chuck Heston) and which, in my view, is the definitive "zombie" story, far better than any zombie movie I have ever seen.

Matheson wrote the short story and screenplay for DUEL.

Unfortunately, Matheson also wrote the teleplay for THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES. I say unfortunately because it is one of the dullest adaptations of Ray Bradbury's work (Ray himself said it was boring). However, I like to blame the director rather than Matheson, since the script was quite closely based on Ray's book, with some clever alterations to try to make it all hang together as a continuous narrative.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Scoring, editing, scripting, production design and directing. The best material can be made dull. And material with seemingly little potential can be nurtured into something memorable. Consider Philip Van Doren Stern’s “The Greatest Gift” made into the film “It’s A Wonderful Life”, and on the dull side, both versions of “Dune”.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chapter 31:
You make a good case for Matheson being a huge name in Science Fiction and I agree. Some of my favorite stories and films have been by him. But may I point out that Damon Knight, not Matheson, wrote “To Serve Man”. -- Best

OMG Chapter 31, you're right!

How could I have ever made such an error? And I've read the original short! I mean, in some respects I suppose it can be argued that Matheson and Knight are similar, but not the same. I know better than to have said that. Oh well.

On that note Damon Knight is also a HUGE name in SF.

Free sci-fi mag online at:thelordshen.com

Posts: 178 | Location: Currently Flint, MI | Registered: 28 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Right again.

posted Hide Post
Gary,

You may very well get an opportunity to meet Ray. He is hoping to attend a special week of festivities in Mt. Dora next July. Keep watching the web site and more info will be coming out.

I have talked with Ray about this event and he is planning on attending. I can assure you that I will be there since I missed seeing him last year at his home.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: biplane1,

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gary~~A Sound of Thunder was released in September 2005 and is going to DVD soon, or is already out on DVD.
Ray and Frank Darabont are working on Fahrenheit 451 now.

Nard!! Gorgeous site--your artwork rox. And the old photos of Ray...charming.
Oh, the actor whose name you didn't catch in that first photo in the "Bradbury: Mars Landing" section, the man with Ray and John Rhys-Davis, is ROBERT PICARDO. He portrayed the holographic doctor on Star Trek: Voyager.

Posts: 52 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: 07 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hi,

its been a while so i know this reply is quite some time from my first post, but things have been pretty hetic on my end.heh.

sound of thunder was pretty good in my opinion, or at least as good as a movie adaptation of a short story could be i guess.

mentions of richard matheson have peaked my intrest, as im a big fan of his work as well.

i own the movie, i am legend, with vincet price which in my opinion is the best adaptation of the book i am legend.

also i own the book i am legend(and other short stories), and the graphic novel of i am legend adapted by steve niles, and i can't remember the other man's first name but his last name is brown. but in either case it is a good graphic novel but then again i am a fan of steve niles myself.

Posts: 22 | Location: Winter Springs,Florida | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post