Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Waukegan Library receives Ray's books
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Waukegan Library receives Ray's books
 Login/Join

posted
According to this article, Ray bequeathed his personal collection of books to the Waukegan Library:

http://www.dailyherald.com/art...0617/news/706179846/

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil: Great...amazing...befitting...generous...inspires a summer journey!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
According to this article, Ray bequeathed his personal collection of books to the Waukegan Library.

Well, I used to pull them off his shelves and read them to him; now I can go to the Green Town Public Library and see them again. I think I will.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DS, do tell some of the titles, authors, collections that graced Mr. Bradbury shelves. I have always wondered at the fantastic items that must have been resting on his shelves!!!!

http://wednesdaysheroes.com/wp...-office-wideshot.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-gie2...obit-03.grid-6x2.jpg
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-i...laskirklandco460.jpg
http://cdn.mhpbooks.com/upload...486H5127-572x727.jpg

...Amazing, indeed!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is amazing! Ive been thinking about how I would like to make my way over to Waukegan at some point. Even more of a reason (as if I needed any more!)

Also, DS, I'm new to the board so I don't really know your story. I'm curious as to how you knew Mr. Bradbury...I hope you don't mind me asking!

Posts: 20 | Location: Toronto | Registered: 04 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How do I get a US library card? Smiler

Posts: 109 | Registered: 23 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...maybe an August 22, 2014, celebration should be considered for a grand tour of the Waukegan Library RB book aisles and then a crossing of the Ravine!!!

Fireballoons, lemonade, dandelions, new sneakers, and lunch baskets filled with fresh made sandwiches, and - of course - some dessert at the soda shop. We could all sit on the library's front porch and visit until dusk arrives.

posted Hide Post
Ohhh that sounds so good. I would really love to do that. I would very seriously consider doing this.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Autienne,

Posts: 20 | Location: Toronto | Registered: 04 May 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They will have to sell some of the more valuable volumes to build a wing to house the others.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
DS, do tell some of the titles, authors, collections that graced Mr. Bradbury shelves. I have always wondered at the fantastic items that must have been resting on his shelves!!!!
...Amazing, indeed!

Do you know, I don't think I paid much attention, or at least didn't retain what I learned - I was usually directed to pull a certain volume of his own work which is where I focused. Alas!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Autienne:
Also, DS, I'm new to the board so I don't really know your story. I'm curious as to how you knew Mr. Bradbury...I hope you don't mind me asking!

Well, I had meet him briefly a few times at events and signings, but I really got to know him through a common friend - Forry Ackerman. I was making a film with/on 4E and I once drove him over to RB's house to interview them both for the film. I got to know him and he started inviting me to plays and out to lunch and supper and sundry. Then one day he needed a filmmaker for a project he was developing, and he and jkt recommended me to his guy. The film is in post-production and was one of the final projects he was working on when he passed (he was juggling several). During his twilight years I would go visit and read his stories to him as his eyesight wasn't up to snuff. Reading the Master's own words into his ear as he laughed and cried as the stories so moved him was one of my great joys.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
...maybe an August 22, 2014, celebration should be considered for a grand tour of the Waukegan Library RB book aisles and then a crossing of the Ravine!!!

Fireballoons, lemonade, dandelions, new sneakers, and lunch baskets filled with fresh made sandwiches, and - of course - some dessert at the soda shop. We could all sit on the library's front porch and visit until dusk arrives.

I can put this on my iCal now and be there barring any unforeseen event. Who else will sign up for this? I think it's a fine idea.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
August 22 would be a fine date for a raybradburyboard.com gathering!!

Mapquest indicates: Via I-90 E 843.19 miles
14 hrs 8 mins... Not Bad!!

f

posted Hide Post
quote:
August 22 would be a fine date for a raybradburyboard.com gathering!!

Ok. Well, let's put it out there and start sign-ups. We can meet during the afternoon of 8/22 (Friday) at the Green Town Tavern for supper, adjourn to the porch for lemonade (and perhaps cigars, if that's your thing) and conversation, and then those braver souls amongst us can take an evening stroll thru the Ravine on the way back to their rooms at the boarding house. The next day we can meet for breakfast, have a walking tour of the town, spend some time in the library (maybe arrange with the library ahead of time for a Bradbury event there to commemorate), walk down to the riverside where the Carnegie Library still sits, wonder where the carnival might have been, check out the graveyard which holds some Bradbury relatives, walk over to Washington/Saint James Streets and see Ray's and his grandparents' houses, hold an afternoon picnic in Ray Bradbury Park, share some readings and personal stories, and then those less brave souls amongst us can have a daylight walk thru the ravine, get permission from the police to set aloft some fire balloons at dusk and slowly make our way back to our rooms with our hearts full.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
...maybe an August 22, 2014, celebration should be considered for a grand tour of the Waukegan Library RB book aisles and then a crossing of the Ravine!!!...

Marvellous idea! Although... we don't know yet whether the Bradbury books will be catalogued and shelved by that date, or even if they will be on open shelves. (Valuable collections like this are often accessible only by special arrangement; identify the items you wish to view, and somebody will bring it to you in a special reading room.)

One of the reports said something about creating a Bradbury exhibit at the library. I'd vote for waiting to see what they create, and then start making plans to visit (i.e. build the wings before leaping of the cliff Big Grin )

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post