Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wow!!
 Login/Join

posted
I, like most people that come on this board, am a huge fan of almost all of Bradbury's work. Everyone who seems to have posted on this board has come into contact with him atleast once, and that really blows my mind. how can i contact him? they have an e-mail address here on the site, but is there anything else? Addresses or Phone numbers? Please reply, or E-mail me at ikilledpikachu@gundamwing.org

Posts: 8 | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is incredible. See the thread "Writing Mr. Bradbury."

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
on which board is this thread?

also, does anybody know if mr. bradbury is religious? Religion has had a huge effect on me, both good and bad, and i think i would understand his works better if i know about his religious beliefs. He makes many refernces to the bible in stories like "The sound of Thunder". In one of his stories "Touched with fire" from October Country, i can't tell if he's poking fun at christians or if he is promoting them.

posted Hide Post
found it. thanks dandelion, youre a great help ^-^

posted Hide Post
Mr Bradbury's stories seem to be more spiritual than religious. Some stories, though, do have clear Christian connotations. 'The Man', a wonderful story from THE ILLUSTRATED MAN, is an obvious example.

[This message has been edited by crumley (edited 03-23-2002).]

Posts: 79 | Location: Tomerong, NSW, Australia | Registered: 16 February 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Pyro!
I definitely think it would be interesting to meet Bradbury and find out the source of his inspiration. On another subject, I really like how another junior member has a great enthusiasm for Bradbury, however different a writer he may be. What are some of your favorite books anyway? Bradbury writes best when the subject is more science fiction. *< ) I don't know if you'll reply to my post, because you put up this board a couple of months ago.

[This message has been edited by TygerSun (edited 05-01-2002).]

Posts: 13 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: 13 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oops! Sorry, I just wanted to add another note about spiritual references. There was one story, I think called "forgive me father, for I have sinned" or something along those lines, that shows some Christian and surreal mix. Also "A Medicine for Melancholy" the story is directly about a saint, so it shows Bradbury's Christian beliefs. Thought you might like to know. Have a good day

[This message has been edited by TygerSun (edited 05-01-2002).]

Posts: 13 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: 13 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read this in interview of Ray Bradbury. Exactly what is one to think of this?

"As for God, my own conceptualization of Him is ancient and convenient--that we are God and are responsible for ourselves, which is great."

Page 51, Conversations with Ray Bradbury, University Press of Mississippi, Jackson, Mississippi

Posts: 5 | Registered: 06 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bradbury is a Unitarian which is not Christian since Christ is not considered God by Unitarians. A vital point, since only God can forgive sins, and Christ did this. Unitarians accept a great cross-winds of ideologies. Ray's comment fits into a Unitarian framework.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
Ray's comment fits into a Unitarian framework.

From the UU website:
There are many ways to learn more about our faith tradition and its historic roots. Unitarianism began centuries ago in Transylvania and western Europe, and Universalism became popular in America in the eighteenth century. Yesterday and today, Unitarian Universalism has drawn a remarkable number of world-reknown scientists, political leaders, historians, and artists to our congregations and our spiritual practices. This group includes Thomas Jefferson, John and Abigail Adams, Christopher Reeve, Ray Bradbury, Pete Seeger, Henry David Thoreau, Kurt Vonnegut, Albert Schweitzer, Tim Berners-Lee, T. Berry Brazelton, M.D., Susan B. Anthony, and hundreds more.

http://www.uua.org/programs/congservices/uncommon/nyc/

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rod Serling doesn't deserve a mention? A gross oversight!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug Spaulding:
I think you can pretty much get a good picture of the Unitarian/Universalist church in general by taking a look at their views of sexual matters within the church:

Official tenets of the church welcomes the gay, lesbian and bisexual people to the Unitarian/Universalist Church. They are expressly given the freedom to participate fully with the emotional and sexual experiences of their sexual preferences. If a given relationship is not by mutual consent, or may bring harm to another individual, the Church cannot condone such a relationship.

And then there is this list:
•They do not believe there is a Hell.
•They do not accept the story of Adam and Eve
•They do not believe moral evil is inherent in human nature
•Life after death includes existence of individuals in memories and lives of those who knew and loved them.
•Most are evolutionists.

As long as you really don't believe in anything, wouldn't you say that it's a pretty safe environment to belong to?

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Someone once said, "If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything!"

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it's more of you'll just fall for anything at this church! Bradbury obviously shares at least that 4th item on the list.

Doug Spaulding, are you into promoting this church?

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, could we give peace a chance?

I need a break from church............

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post