Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Best actor to portray Ray
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best actor to portray Ray
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I agree - Anthony Hopins for the older Ray, and Aiden Brody for the 1940's, 1950's Ray!

Posts: 36 | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug Spaulding, I, too, was thinking of him as FDR. Very believable. Also he did a series of commercials for Dodge.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I almost had a heart attack laughing at your post regarding Dustin and Ray standing together. Too funny Patrick! By the way, thanks for all you do, not only for Ray, but posting here and keeping us informed on things. Now, whom to play John Huston???

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now, whom to play John Huston???

At least THAT has been tried: Peter O'Toole played the Huston character in the TV version of Ray's story 'Banshee'. A good performance, but of course nothing like Huston at all.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, I forgot about that, that was a good episode too. We need a real s.o.b. for the role. What's Gibson doing?

kiddin...

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray Bradbury would be perfect to play John Huston. D'ya ever hear Ray do his impersonation of John Huston?

Comic George Gobel would have been a great younger Ray Bradbury. But he's long gone. Today, Drew Carey, if he cleaned-up his act, has the charisma of a young Bradbury, but NOT the class! But either of his sidekicks (the one's on Whose Line Is It Anyway?)...could possibly be frontrunners. Ray was always explosive, fun, quick, super-fast, mind always working, a hyper rabbit in perpetual curiosity.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually, based on the young RB photos I've seen, how about Brad Pitt? And Patrick's choice of Dustin Hoffman is perfect; a gifted actor to play a gifted writer, and I do see the resemblance.

Part of the joy of having those two exceptional actors in the same movie would be watching them interact--maybe a scene of Ray writing the poem "Remembrance," with the younger and older Rays speaking to each other through thought and time?

Posts: 195 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenswake:
Actually, based on the young RB photos I've seen, how about Brad Pitt?

What a coincedence - While interviewing Forry Ackerman for my documentary, he suggested Brad Pitt when asked who should play him!

By the way, that clip can be seen in the eight minute "short edit" that I threw together to screen at Forry's birthday bash a couple weeks ago.

A technical question: I want to put up the edit on iFilm or Youtube or some such site so you all can enjoy it, but I've never compressed video for such a purpose.

Here's what I have: An eight and a half minute, five hundred and something MB dvd-r. The limits for these sites are ten minutes (no problem there), and 100 MB (problem). Can anyone counsel me on how I can compress this and upload it. Go step by step and use small words - I'm technologically inept!

Thanks for your advice, and maybe one day I'll be ept!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd like to see if Alec Baldwin could pull it off. You ever see him do Charles Nelson Riley? Umm... I mean do an impersonation of Charles Nelson Riley.

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug Spaulding:

What computer system do you use ? I use MAC exclusively, and use iMovie, which has a compress program. With iMovie I've had no trouble uploading to YOUTUBE. I use a simple 5, sometimes 8 megapixel camera in movie mode. There is a refining image capability on iMovie, but have not learned how to use it.
Type in:
netcinema
...in the YOUTUBE search box and you'll find my list of videos.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grasstains: You ever see him do Charles Nelson Reilly? Umm... I mean do an impersonation of Charles Nelson Reilly.

Thanks, grass - you made me chuckle, then cringe.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
What computer system do you use ? I use MAC exclusively, and use iMovie, which has a compress program. With iMovie I've had no trouble uploading to YOUTUBE.

OK, thanks. I'll have a look. A Mac man, eh? I thought you had an intelligent look about you!

I use an eMac 700 (I know - three years old!), but am buying a new iMac this spring as soon as the new OS comes out.

I've never really done video stuff so I've never messed with iMovie, but I'll give it a try. I did have to delve into Final Cut Pro for this edit, and holy smoke! what a complicated program! It does work rather nicely, tho. Wonder if Final Cut has compression capability (for fifteen hundred dollars, it should!)

Do enjoy working (playing) with iTunes and iPhoto - great programs.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Doug,

you should be able to use Final Cut Pro for the compression - you'll just need to export your clip using some different settings. You should probably resize the video first (YouTube etc will do this anyway, so you might as well do it yourself , as this will reduce the file size), and then choose MPEG1 or MP4 as the video format.

You can probably do the above in iMovie as well, and probably in Quicktime.

I'm a PC user myself.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
I'm a PC user myself.

I think you're intelligent anyway!

Thanks for the info.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
I was just talking to my sone today about the problems Ihave been having with my Dell PC. He highly recommends the imac Mini. So I shall giver consideration to this idea which has been reinforced by your comments Nard and Doug.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post