Ray Bradbury Forums
Best actor to portray Ray

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1001093901/m/6541067901

18 September 2003, 08:23 PM
Green Shadow
Best actor to portray Ray
Food for thought: If ever a movie comes out about the life and times of RB, what actor should portray him?
19 September 2003, 05:41 AM
dandelion
DEFINITELY Charlie Mount, who played a character based on Ray in the stage play version of "Banshee." No contest, had Ray's looks and mannerisms down perfectly. Also, the fact that he's a screen unknown would be a big plus: people would "buy" him as really being Ray, rather than Leonardo DiCaprio (well!) or some other Hollywood hunk simply dressing up for another role, and, he is already in the L. A. area, so perfection.
19 September 2003, 02:13 PM
douglasSP
An actor who is already in the L.A. area? Gee, thanks for narrowing it down, dandelion!
19 September 2003, 03:29 PM
fjpalumbo
RE: October Country (is this current?) http://www.charliemount.com/stage.html
20 September 2003, 04:38 AM
dandelion
That picture is from the play to which I referred above, so it's current as of June anyhow. "Banshee" was one of three acts in "The October Country." Yes, there are actors outside of the L. A. area. I could have named someone from New York, or, what the heck, even from my own area.
20 September 2003, 08:39 AM
Green Shadow
What about Steve Martin? Stunning white hair, prankster, smart, funny, creative, and a writer himself. He was master of ceremonies a couple of years ago when Ray got his big book award. I was impressed with Martin then and, of course, Ray's acceptance speech.
21 September 2003, 09:09 AM
Green Shadow
Or Mel Gibson??!!
30 September 2003, 12:04 AM
Nard Kordell
At best...
...the best actor to portray Ray is probably not born yet.

Look! It's going to take another 30 years plus before recognition of Ray Bradbury reaches the very broad audience called mainstream. Regardless of his influence, he arguably reaches nowadays a rather small circle of readers who are aware of who he is and what he has done.

Per a FIlm about His Life:
Get your eyes off the economics at the income window, and think in terms of less than wealth-producing 'poetic' film-making. Present Ray so as to know him from the earliest years, with the light from those of marvelous talent who take the undertaking of great and honest film writing as a sure need to 'live', as Ray himself takes writing as a required action in order to live just one more day.

I think you can produce great human interest and excitement from the life of a corner Baker, or the neighborhood Roofer, as well. For the depths of human interest is unfathomable given the proper insight and magic of wonderful story telling art. But in perhaps more pertinent terms for the moment, the great love and rhapsodies of living that Ray insists upon and demonstrates in his craft, would be truly 'fun fare' in film. But THAT film must take Ray from his youngest years to the oldest. So, unless there is a great advance in film making magic in the forseeable, one would have to use a variety of actors to produce the different ages of Mr. Bradbury. Imagine a scene where he steps out into the night air, upon the ocean shore with his wife, and comes to discovers the story of The Foghorn, and insists he go home quickly to write his way into the hearts of minds of future readers. The drama inside his noggin', the passion in his heart, to demonstrate all these things and ten thousands more on film, and capsulate it into 120 minutes at the most, and throw in all the struggles of turning story and poetry into film making and working with less talented and difficult directors and producers, and all the family life, the very intimate personal struggle of being highly creative, yet very human, would spotlight a life in this generation far more exciting than one average Hollywood Joe writer can possibly imagine in a lifetime....
11 September 2006, 02:08 PM
embroiderer
Sam Weller ! Enroll Sam in some acting lessons now.
11 September 2006, 11:05 PM
fanboy
Anthony Hopkins.
12 September 2006, 11:01 PM
Robert M Blevins
To do a film about his life, you'll need an actor for the Young Bradbury, and another for the Mature Bradbury. My favorite scene in the film might be Ray whipping out 451 so quickly... Cool
13 September 2006, 09:31 PM
FH 451
NO ANDS IF OR BUTS,
DUSTIN HOFFMAN. WITH SOME SHOE LIFTS AND BLACK RIM GLASSES, AND YOUR IN.
LOOK AT THE NOSES.
LAST YEAR, THEY WERE STANDING NEXT TO EACH OTHER, AND I ALMOST HAD A HEART ATTACK.

"RAINMAN" "RAYMOND"

LATER
PATRICK
25 September 2006, 07:16 PM
Walloon
Ray in his 20s: Jonathon Lipnicki
27 September 2006, 12:57 AM
philnic
I've always thought that the father in the TV film of The Electric Grandmother looked like Ray. Not just his face, but the Bradbury specs they put on him.

His name is Edward Herrman. Oh, and he's a terrific actor, as well.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
27 September 2006, 08:28 AM
Doug Spaulding
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
I've always thought that the father in the TV film of The Electric Grandmother looked like Ray. Not just his face, but the Bradbury specs they put on him.

His name is Edward Herrman. Oh, and he's a terrific actor, as well.

I have never thought that Mr Herrmann (or anyone that I can think of) actually looks like RB, but you are right to say that he is a fine actor - he was particularly excellent as FDR in the marvellous 1976 miniseries "Eleanor and Franklin".

"Live Forever!"