Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    The Conscious Mind in the Void

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Conscious Mind in the Void
 Login/Join

posted
I was given your name as the speaker of this quote or writer I might say. Is this true and where might I find it.

Rohn Federbushrohn@comcast.net

Posts: 4 | Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan | Registered: 05 April 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Rohn, and welcome. Ray Bradbury doesn't visit this message board personally, but maybe someone will recognise the phrase. It doesn't ring any bells with me, I'm afraid. In fact, a Google search just leads me directly to your own web page!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I read this post title, a metaphor jumped out of F451!

Recently, while reading aloud (for the final seminar of RB class) of Guy Montag's final plunge into his new world (brought about by the torching of his home and ultimately Capt. Beatty), I found myself marveling at this passage. I literally stopped and re-read the narration so as to highlight what I thought was a perfect Ray Bradbury moment, as far as style, character, and plot developments were concerned:

"And then he came to the parlor where the great idiot monsters lay asleep with their white thoughts and their snowy dreams. And he shot a bolt at each of the three blank walls and the vacuum hissed out at him. The emptiness made an even emptier whistle, a senseless scream. He tried to think about the vacuum upon which the nothingness had performed, but he could not. He held his breath so the vacuum could not get into his lungs. He cut off the terrible emptiness, drew back, and gave the entire room a gift of one huge bright yellow flower of burning."
F451, "Burning Bright" p117

So, what do we have, the Conscious Mind in the Void!?

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did Ray Bradbury ever read a translation of "On the Nature of Things" by Lucretius?

Rohn Federbush

Posts: 4 | Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan | Registered: 05 April 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do not recall an essay or comment on the ancient work of Lucretius, but this may shed some light on his philosophy of being and living:
http://www.raybradbury.com/inhiswords02.html

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post