Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    January 20, 2009 - A Brand New Day
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

January 20, 2009 - A Brand New Day
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Q: Why would the Beatles never have been invited to play the Inauguration or the Super Bowl?

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 15 seconds of fame was through my daughter! Raise a smart kid and that's your reward.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
Q: Why would the Beatles never have been invited to play the Inauguration or the Super Bowl?

A Beatle played the SuperBowl a couple years ago, but I don't know why the group could not have done.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The grandest reward, Mr. Dark!!

Watch the video again!! The answer should become obvious...

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Watch the video again!! The answer should become obvious...

Re-watched. Alas, no clue.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm having trouble downloading that video. LIkely missing some software for that particular kind of download.

But I'd answer this way:
Beatles, when they first hit the international scene, caused a lot of people to think the world was ending. Their appearance was a shocker. Songs like 'Strawberry Fields Forever', 'The Walrus', and many others, were directly connected to a drug culture. To have them sing at a Super-Bowl would be like Marilyn Manson saying Roman Catholic Mass at Saint Peter's in Rome.

You have to remember the working fellow back then was still extremely conservative. Everyone still had to wear white shirt and tie to work. Not an off-white, or even a grey colored shirt, but white. And that tie! And hair trimmed around the ears and no longer than your shirt collar in the back, etc etc.

Nowadays the world, our Western culture, is mostly going mad of sorts, wouldn't you say!?

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK.

The Beatles played in the cold and in real time. On the other hand, the recent Inauguration's musical interludes, though marvelous, and Bruce "The Boss" Springsteen (ticket price$ snafu, et al) were both Millie-Vanillied!!

I saw the Beatles perform in the old Montreal Forum when I was a kid. What an event! I recall there was a whole lotta' screamin' going on! I was quite displeased. (I actually thought I was going to hear them sing and play their instruments.)

posted Hide Post
quote:
The Beatles played in the cold and in real time. On the other hand, the recent Inauguration's musical interludes, though marvelous, and Bruce "The Boss" Springsteen (ticket price$ snafu, et al) were both Millie-Vanillied!!

Right. The Beatles probably would have never agreed to Milli Vanilli their performance.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted:
Doug Spaulding ~ You would pick a pro gay-marriage fellow who did benediction as "terrific".

10 Reasons why gay marriage shouldn't be legal

1) Being gay is not natural. Real Americans always reject unnatural things like eyeglasses, polyester, and air conditioning.

2) Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall.

3) Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets because a dog has legal standing and can sign a marriage contract.

4) Straight marriage has been around a long time and hasn't changed at all; women are still property, blacks still can't marry whites, and divorce is still illegal.

5) Straight marriage will be less meaningful if gay marriage were allowed; the sanctity of Brittany Spears' 55-hour just-for-fun marriage would be destroyed.

6) Straight marriages are valid because they produce children. Gay couples, infertile couples, and old people shouldn't be allowed to marry because our orphanages aren't full yet, and the world needs more children.

7) Obviously gay parents will raise gay children, since straight parents only raise straight children.

8) Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are imposed on the entire country. That's why we have only one religion in America.

9) Children can never succeed without a male and a female role model at home. That's why we as a society expressly forbid single parents to raise children.

10) Gay marriage will change the foundation of society; we could never adapt to new social norms. Just like we haven't adapted to cars, the service-sector economy, or longer life spans.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Doug Spaulding! Do you know the date and time when your brain turned to crap?

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So you think gay marriage should be legal!? For shame.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Very funny, Doug!

Posts: 232 | Location: The Land of Trees and Heroes | Registered: 10 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
TAKE THY TONGUE FROM THY CHEEK.

SO THE ONLY THING YOU AND I SEEM TO DISAGREE ON IS THE CORRECTNESS OF ALLOWING ABORTIONS IN THIS CONUNTRY. I THINK THAT ISSUE WILL BE VERY MUTE IN A WHILE ANYWAY AS TECHNOLOGY HAS PASSED THE ACT OF SURGICAL ABORTION INTO THE ASH CAN OF HISTORY. WHAT NEXT YOU FELLOW HATERS OF HUMANITY AND RESTRICTORS OF HUMAN RIGHTS TO LIVE AS WE CHOOSE? SPEAK UP THAT WE CAN GET READY FOR THE NEXT ONSLAUGHT OF HATERED IN THE NAME OF RELIGION.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speaking of The Beatles, did anyone see the movie Across the Universe? I thought it was very well done and the performances were terrific. Ihave now watched it three times and it always makes me feel like the '60s are still with us.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patrask:
Speaking of The Beatles, did anyone see the movie Across the Universe?

No, but I may do so on your recommendation.

Thy is a good word.

"Live Forever!"