Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    January 20, 2009 - A Brand New Day
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

January 20, 2009 - A Brand New Day
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
Are we not a nation of freedom of religion, allowing for all beliefs?

I was never much into running with the salmon. Still feel compelled to express my personal beliefs. My God has a large letter 'G', specially Jesus Christ, who, because of Him, the calendar was started back to year 1. He must have been pretty significant.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Knox:
quote:

I was never much into running with the salmon. Still feel compelled to express my personal beliefs. My God has a large letter 'G', specially Jesus Christ, who, because of Him, the calendar was started back to year 1. He must have been pretty significant.

Yesterday was the Chinese New Year. March 21st is the Persian New Year. Grab the shofar when it comes to the Hebrew New Year. When it comes to food, I'm all inclusive.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There now, jkt - you see why you never get involved with the politics or religion threads here?

Isn't this fun?!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Knox:
quote:

Let us remember that there are those of us who do not count on the Catholic Church's imposition of their calander, but instead, count their days from a more ancient source:
it is the year 5769 in The Jewish Calendar. There are others of course who use older calendars, such as the precsession of the equinoxes and the wobble of the Earth's axis to count many thousands of years backward. There are many such counting places in the world that still survive today. Stonehenge might be the most famous of these. Read Uriel's Machine by Christopher Knight and Robert Lomas for one examination of details.

I often marvel at the bumper stickers that I see from time to time that say "Jesus is Lord" and wonder why they don't say, more correctly, "Jesus is My Lord".

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They do say correctly, "Jesus Is Lord".
But you're free to wonder.

FYI, most Orthodox are on the Julian calendar; still reckoning from year one as Jesus' birth, though. It's just that we didn't go along with that ol' Bishop Gregory robbing us of 10 days (now 13) back then...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
jkt,

Afterprom?

Posts: 194 | Registered: 06 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
They do say correctly, "Jesus Is Lord"

I always thought the George Harrison Album was "My Sweet Lord."

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I always thought the George Harrison Album was "My Sweet Lord."

No, the album was All Things Must Pass, featuring the song My Sweet Lord.

I always thought that album was as good as anything The Beatles ever did as a group!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was a great group and a great album. My favorite Beatle album, however, is probably "Abby Road", though their talent and enthusiam was boundless.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
According to the Mayan calendar, it's all over in 2012, so enjoy all the New Year's parties you can!

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One theory is that they just ran out of space...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another theory is several other cultures predict some major shakeup, all on the same day...December 21, 2012.

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Dark:
My favorite Beatle album, however, is probably "Abby Road"...

Mine too.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Remember that the Beatles last public concert was on that rooftop in London? My daughter recently got to tour that. She cited me as a fan of the Beatles on CNN on the roof where the last concert was performed on the 40th anniversary of the concert. Pretty cool, huh?

http://edition.cnn.com/video/#...cnn?iref=videosearch

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very cool! Mr Dark, you're famous now!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post