Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    government
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

government
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Don't go away, jiminut. Sometimes things get very emotional on this board. I myself have decided not to participate in any more political or religious threads because in the past, some people put words in my mouth and just generally rant hysterically at people who disagree with them (not you, Mr. Dark), and then I just wind up taking it too personally. That is silly, I know, but I'd rather leave those debates to others. I came to this board solely for the purpose of learning more about my favorite author and his work and discussing him with other fans. Therefore, I am sticking to Ray and only Ray. As long as you are a fan of Ray's, you will always be welcome here.

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lana:

I agree. I am trying to be good. Sometimes it is so hard for me! But I am trying. Bradbury is so much more fun, interesting and enlightening.

While I try to state my perspectives in calm, non-accusatory tones, I know I don't always succeed. Better to just stay with the topic. I've got to believe that Bradbury and his writing will give us plenty of food for thought and discussion.

By the way, Jiminut, every one of your claims is disputable, and arguments can be made either way. As a quick example, I disagree with the claim that Iraq had nothing to do with terrorism. It seems reasonable to conclude it had no direct causal relationship to 9/11; but 9/11 is not the only terrorism we should be concerned about. Hussein's open funding of Palestinian suicide bombers against the innocent in Isreal promoted the very instability in the middle east that drives terrorism. But that is all fodder for another board.

Dang! My bad. (

Jimenut. I'm with Lana on this point, also: We are eager to share perspectives on Bradbury and his work with new participants in the board. While I'm getting older and have been a Bradbury devotee for a long time -- longer than many young fans on the board have been alive -- I always enjoy persons' new perspectives on Bradbury and his work. Some of the questions HS kids ask have made me look at parts of the book(s) I've read before with a new slant. Also, I love sharing in the enthusiasm of new Bradbury fans. I find it infectuous (in the best possible way) and it rekindles me and brings alive memories of first readings.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Dark (edited 12-15-2004).]

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark--I am not criticizing anyone on this board who wishes to debate politics, religion, war, Michael Moore, etc. I am just saying I'm not going to do it. I take it all too personally, which I recognize as one of my many character flaws, but that's just me. I think you, on the other hand, are very good at it and seem to be able to do it without getting nasty or hurt. It's probably even one of your talents, so don't hold back when the urge strikes. Lana

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Lana. I just know that people have very strong feelings about it, and when I particpate in these kinds of discussions, I contribute to detracting from Bradbury and his life, work and influence. I feel guilty about it. It is hard for me to let some political claims go when they seem very one-sided, stated in absolute terminology, and seem to have been divined without any historical context (not saying that happened on this thread, but it certainly did happen on many of the Michael Moore postings), and it is hard for me not to wade into the fray. Nevertheless, when I do it, I know I am contributing to the diminishing of the purpose of the board. While I try to be as objective as possible, we all see things based on our life experiences, and I know mine aren't the only views that are valid. Politics, like religion, is a very complex part of the human condition. Even if I assume I'm right in my views, I sometimes contribute to posts that veer away from Bradbury, and I feel badly about it. I feel like I'm trying to break free of an addiction to post . . .

Help me! Help me!

The horror! The horror!

I hope you are all having a great holiday season! I've seen many get laid off in the last few weeks, and am very grateful for work and health and family. I hope you are all doing well this season!

[This message has been edited by Mr. Dark (edited 12-16-2004).]

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just succeeded in having my ex-spouse ordered to submit to a hair follicle drug test and one of my dear friends is back to work after missing four weeks due to AIDS fatigue/low T-count. Yes, things are looking good for me and mine. Those are two of the best christmas presents I've ever received.

Merry Christmas Everybody.

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everyday is a gift. Grasstain, pleased to know things are flowing with more of a sense of peace in what you do.

As for the poli-religious strife some feel, at times, they need to bring here, I have kept at arm's length as well. (Some will recall) For several months an especially vitriolic poster visited who seemed to tap in for (what I charged and stand by still) were egotistical and strongly agenda driven spews. Many first time visitors were attacked with name-callings and sarcasms. The comments of many of us were twisted around and insults added to each successive post. Personally, after calling it as I saw it, I stated I would no longer respond, so as not to add "fuel." This seemed to get the goat and rile even more. Curious!

Seldom, if ever, did topics relate to the board's theme of "RB!" Not that there is no room for disagreement or contested exchanges. Agreed! It makes things interesting and allows us to research a bit deeper and learn from a different perspective.

When the "I'm right" and "you are wrong" volleys begin, it more oft leads to something unpleasant for someone on board.

So, jiminut, stick around. The previous posts of Mr. Dark, Imskipper, & Biplane, hopefully, will give you an idea of what this board tries to be about (most of the time). To Dandelion's fine credit, she has moderated extremely well throughout. She allows people to have their say in an even-handed manner. Any "soaps" needed were consistently justified. Censorship was not the issue in those cases. Civility was being upheld. (Juris prudence not withstanding.)

As for the News update, Phil! It's nice we can still remain friends across the big pond!! Having your input really adds so much to the site (and no taxes attached).

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 12-16-2004).]

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post