Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Did anybody get any Ray related gift(s)?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did anybody get any Ray related gift(s)?
 Login/Join

posted
I'll start. Santa brought me a copy of The Martian Chronicles with watercolor illustrations by Folon. This book was produced by Olivetti (the typewriter guys) in a limited edition of 100 in 1979. The book was never offered for sale but was a gift to special customers. This was a coffee table book, 13x10. I have attached a photo of the cover.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

ImageFolon.jpg (53 Kb, 20 downloads)

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only indirectly. I got a library card.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
More indirectly, I got a book about Orson Welles.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ballantine Books Fahrenheit 451 (signed, BofM 2001) from M&I Bookstore folks. It was from his 90th BD Celebration, which unfortunately we were unable to attend, though strove to do so until just a few days before...

Usually we are plentiful with our book present-ations at Christmas. After I unwrapped the book (arriving just yesterday), I realized another metaphor of sorts had befallen me. My only book for the season was one well-waited for, arriving to end one year and to bring in the New - Fahrenheit 451!

I especially like the Mugnaini classic cover, the Burning Bright (1993) foreword, and then its Introduction (1966) by Mr. Bradbury. Familiar words with a different twist on the process of F451 through the years of the stories that brought the novel to jump out of the typewriter in the UCLA Library basement. Some previously unread visits with the books characters and a brief allusion to the making of the FT movie are also included. Finally, the signing card enclosed with the Celebration materials was, so appropriately, #90!!

Health, Good Spirit, and Many Fine Pages Turned in 2011!
f

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Only indirectly. I got a library card.

You win. You got ALL the books.

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a present, I received the Easton Press Edition of Dandelion Wine. This beautiful book is bound in leather with gold trim. It also includes one color Mugnaini plate. It looks too beautiful to read! Easton Press really does a great job with their issues. This one really puts ebooks to shame. Maybe I'll think twice about getting that Kindle!

Posts: 189 | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greenray:
Maybe I'll think twice about getting that Kindle!

You mean you were thinking once?!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought my 11 year old nephew the Dvd "Something Wicked This Way Comes". He was very excited because it had "Disney" on the cover.

Oh lordie...where did I go wrong...

"Oh, death!"

Posts: 176 | Location: The Forest of Aokigahara, Japan | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nephew not impressed?

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just received this belated gift. A marble bookend with three special numbers engraved.

John King Tarpinian

Image451Bookend.jpg (99 Kb, 25 downloads)

posted Hide Post
What does it say at the bottom of the "spine", jkt?

...and why is the Lone Ranger lurking behind..?

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Hi-yo Silver - away!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi-yo is a good word.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:
Maybe I'll think twice about getting that Kindle!

You mean you were thinking once?!

Dear Doug,

I bought a Kindle for my wife on her birthday. The few times I've played with it, I've gone online and played music. Amazon and Barnes and Noble now sell more digital than regular books. I hope these devices do not signal the end of the bricks and mortar bookstores, as MP3 digital downloads contributed to the demise of music stores.

Posts: 189 | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I bought a Kindle for my wife on her birthday.

Don't like her, eh? Big Grin

I'm just pickin' at you cause I'm a lover of books. They may be good from a marketing standpoint, but I've always had a big distaste for those things.

"Live Forever!"