Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    To ALL Christians: Pray Ray Bradbury into Heaven
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 23

Moderators: dandelion, philnic

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
To ALL Christians: Pray Ray Bradbury into Heaven
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
God always takes the initiative.

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
Perhaps even letting go this notion of man discovering the universe for a blinded god, being HIS eyes and ears as he travels into deep space.

What is wrong with that notion? Was not the first command to man "Name the beasts"? So what are the astronauts, rovers, space explorerers of all shapes and forms doing but naming the giant celestial beasts, bearing witness to creation and thus glorifying it?

It seems that you disapprove of anything that changes not the biblical description of god, but the commonly accepted one. Everything is not cut-and-dry for Ray Bradbury, and that's just damn fine. Every man should avoid dogmatism.

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
nico
My suggestion: Go back and actually read in entirety what I posted so you don't have to sound like you didn't. Look at it as one of the nice things you do today!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Nico,
"...the commonly accepted one."
???
That's a joke, right?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Nico,
"...the commonly accepted one."
???
That's a joke, right?

Maybe you misunderstood me there.

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Nico:
I'll go along with Braling II on this one!

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post

...._______________________________________________________________
.......______________________________________________________________________
..........________________________________________________________________________________

..................Touching Base with all Christian believers who
..............have been influenced by or simply enjoy reading
..........Ray Bradbury.

If you are one, asking here that thruout the week we spend time in prayer to God the Father on behalf of Ray Bradbury; asking that the Holy Spirit open the eyes of Bradbury's heart to see the great mystery of faith in Christ, and the unmeasurable strength of grace.

Pray as you will for him, but in partricular that God open the way for Ray to experience that great love of God's gift, his Son Jesus Christ.

....In 2nd Corinthians, Chapter 5, verse 18, it reads:
"All this newness of life is from God, who brought us back to himself through what Christ did. And God
has given us the task of reconciling people to him."

....And when you have your Bible open,
read over the context of the above verse: 2nd Corinthians 5, verses 11-21.

................~Thanks to everyone on this important prayer request

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Knox:
Nico:
I'll go along with Braling II on this one!

I'm not saying that Bradbury's view of God is the accepted one, notice the "not" I threw into that sentence.

posted Hide Post
Nico:
Accepted one?
By whom?
Accepted by you?
Accepted by the Mormons?
Accepted by Catholics?
Accepted by the Enlightened?

Bradbury was a Baptist. Are you talking about the accepted tenets of the Baptist faith?

God is a word with ten thousand definitions... and more.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
Nico:
Accepted one?
By whom?
Accepted by you?
Accepted by the Mormons?
Accepted by Catholics?
Accepted by the Enlightened?

Bradbury was a Baptist. Are you talking about the accepted tenets of the Baptist faith?

God is a word with ten thousand definitions... and more.

I am saying that you seem to adhere only to literal scripture, and see Bradbury's theory as a deviation from the correct path. That's all.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robert M Blevins:
The Creation Myth is a cute story and nothing more. It was written by ancient people who had NO WAY of actually knowing how the world came to be. In any event, astronomy has long established how planets are formed...and seen it in action through deep-space photography.

According to the Creation Story, Earth was constructed by God only a few thousand years ago. Impossible. Even sharks have been around for about seventy MILLION years. Other forms of life much longer than that. These are well-established scientific records, not myths. We've been through this before. But this is what happens when people of today blindly accept every word of the Old Testament as Absolute Truth, forgetting that the people who wrote it were good-intentioned folks, but had not a clue about the history of the Earth. So, like many people of ancient times, they made up some myths to explain their origins. It's not like the ancient Hebrews were the only ones to do this...most ancient civilizations have one story or another to explain their beginnings.

Other than those Creation-busting facts, I still send a prayer out for Ray. I don't believe he needs any intercession, though. Cool

Well I see the creation myth as a parable, just as Jesus (and indeed holy men and prophets of many religious deliniations) taught in parables. The point of the creation parable is that God is the creator of the universe.

Also, I'm not usually a bible quoter, but I once read a line that stuck with me, because I think it shows that the book of Genesis supports evolution:
Genesis 1:24 Then God said, "Let the earth produce every type of living creature"...

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
May I reiterate that what is today called evolution is really meliorism?
Entropy rules!

...unfortunately.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
But you see, I surely hope I am not simply a random spirit amongst all of the long-forgotten debris floating out into nothingness for the past several billion years. What a waste of time and effort all would have been on my part.

When considering this option of being just a non-related speck of microscopic existence, I much rather have faith in the knowledge that all I have been, seen, gained, lost, sensed, wished, and prayed for was for a better purpose. One that was handed to me by my parents and to them by their parents. Today, I am responsible in doing the same for our two ruffians (No broken windows, yet, this baseball season! So far so good.).

So, BrII - meliorism may have a significant role in the Grandest of Schemes! "Do unto others..."

(SD: BTW, I just addressed those students lined up for the course I mentioned earlier. This theme of their responsibility for a better tomorrow (through reading, writing and speaking) was presented. So...I may have a "homework" assignment for you! Sharpen your Ticonderoga.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
May I reiterate that what is today called evolution is really meliorism?
...unfortunately.

I agree. I'm an advocate of Apologism myself - leave it alone! Nature's way is the best way.

Humankind is what screwed it up!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Ticonderoga is a good word.

(So is ruffian)

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Report This Post