To ALL Christians: Pray Ray Bradbury into Heaven

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1001093901/m/6011019013

06 June 2007, 10:42 AM
Braling II
To ALL Christians: Pray Ray Bradbury into Heaven
Humankind is part of Nature.
It's all created.
Now what we, the part of Creation that can willingly affect the rest of creation, decide to do; ah, there's the rub.
06 June 2007, 10:48 AM
Nard Kordell
Doug Spaulding:
Nature may reflect some of God's glory, but scripture still says it's under a curse. So is everything else. I always am fascinated by that scripture passage that says that the animals, against their own will, were placed under subjection of man's curse. Go chew on that one for awhile in theology studies.
06 June 2007, 12:30 PM
fjp451
BrII and Nard: Yes, indeed, "...perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub!"

Because on days when the sun is late spring-warm, the sky perfectly bright blue, the air carrying a slight coolness to comfort all of one's senses, I distinctly see my dad sharing a very gracious visit with God.

Leaning against an old favorite hoe, my father is in a garden of recently transplanted and all encompassing types of new growth. Now, this is no 10'x10' backyard corner of the yard, mind you! We are talking about some acres here, with moist, dark, loose, soil in which you will sink down to the ankles as you work. It is so rich and ready for producing, my dad simply has to give God a quick bit of advice on the importance of getting things in at just the right time. For in gardening of all-natural produce, "Timing is everything!" And I see God nodding in agreement, with a smile in appreciation of the signficance of this basic, yet powerful, philosophical statement.

When their exchange is about to come to a close (and it may well have become a rather involved traverse through many topics beyond the scope of the garden, but always metaphorically connected - a day's hard work, plenty to go around for everyone, getting others involved, keeping things simple yet productive, or a story that everyone should read on this or that), a firm handshake is my dad's sign that he is thankful for the time and honestly pleased to have expressed his (always) keen ideas with Someone who truly cared to listen.

But before God is allowed to move on to His next visit, ...or recognition of that which is spiritually good in humanity, as the case may be... my dad has Him pause for just a few extra minutes, for He can not leave empty handed. Dad sets up some really nice, green young plants (in those ever-present moss pots), hands them to God, and reminds Him to be careful with them as he carries them along. They are quite fragile and will need to be transplanted as soon as possible and, of course, watered well. Then they will be on their way and bearing fruit in hardly any time at all.

God promises He will do just that (though really God doesn't need to promise, since He always follows through with his Word), and tells my father he will see him soon when the acres are in full bloom. It will be magnificent! He is sure!

Dad say, "Yes, it will!'' He waves, humbly moved by the gift of being in God's eternal presence. And to actually have the opportunity to give Him some seed grown plants to put into His own garden!

It doesn't get any better than that and ... that's the rub!
06 June 2007, 12:32 PM
Doug Spaulding
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
...ah, there's the rub.

By coincidence, this very thing can also be found in good massage parlors!

"Live Forever!"
06 June 2007, 01:02 PM
Braling II
Beautiful, Butch, just beautiful.

I'm reminded of this quote (source unknown to me):

Grandfather had a farm.
His son had a garden.
His grandson has a can opener.

(My, how we do digress on this board!)
06 June 2007, 07:05 PM
Priory
Out of curiosity, how many writers are/were deeply religious, but swore that their works were not intended as any sort of religious works? I know Tolkien was one. I suspect that Chesterton's and Lewis's fiction works might have been so. Well, maybe not Lewis. But the topic was brought up to Tolkien, certainly, and he found it preposterous. And yet, if you read with such an eye, it is clearly there, this vision of God and His relations with man.

Priory
07 June 2007, 01:45 AM
philnic
Related question: how many writers are deeply non-religious, and yet have write some very religious works? Arthur C. Clarke springs to mind.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
07 June 2007, 09:21 AM
Nard Kordell
Priory:
Where did you get your info on the Tolkien bit about not intending his works to be religious. That's pretty odd, considering that JRR Tolkien was the editor for The New Jerusalem Bible, a 1960's or early 70's new edition of the Roman Catholic Bible.

philnic, PHIL:
You don't have to be religious to write about religious themes.
07 June 2007, 10:18 AM
Braling II
Nard, perhaps Priory was thinking of this Tolkien quote, which I believe was a response to his books being referred to as allegorical:

"I cordially dislike allegory in all its manifestations, and always have done since I grew old and wary enough to detect its presence."
11 August 2007, 08:20 PM
Phil Knox
Are the faithful still remembering to Pray for Ray Bradbury?
With his birthday just around the corner, let's even thank God that Ray has been around coming up on 87 years!

16 August 2007, 09:21 AM
Nard Kordell
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:

...._______________________________________________________________
.......______________________________________________________________________
..........________________________________________________________________________________

..................Touching Base with all Christian believers who
..............have been influenced by or simply enjoy reading
..........Ray Bradbury.

If you are one, asking here that thruout the week we spend time in prayer to God the Father on behalf of Ray Bradbury; asking that the Holy Spirit open the eyes of Bradbury's heart to see the great mystery of faith in Christ, and the unmeasurable strength of grace.

Pray as you will for him, but in partricular that God open the way for Ray to experience that great love of God's gift, his Son Jesus Christ.

....In 2nd Corinthians, Chapter 5, verse 18, it reads:
"All this newness of life is from God, who brought us back to himself through what Christ did. And God
has given us the task of reconciling people to him."

....And when you have your Bible open,
read over the context of the above verse: 2nd Corinthians 5, verses 11-21.

................~Thanks to everyone on this important prayer request

THIS posting is for Christian Believers.
If you find this offensive, switch the channel.
Otherwise, thanks for upholding Ray Bradbury in prayer.

AND...
A HAPPY 87th YEAR to RAY!!!

26 August 2007, 09:52 PM
blackdog
Hey Nard,

I've been praying for Ray for years and will continue to do so.

"We burn them to ashes and then burn the ashes That's our official motto."
27 August 2007, 11:44 PM
Nard Kordell
blackdog:
By all means, Thanks for your prayers.

Ray has the metaphoric language, and the poet's heart. Is it that he hasn't understood who Christ is...yet!? Kinda. Christ undertakes all the things we can't do, will never be able to do. Letting Christ to let you look into His face, one finds that there is no end to the depth of understanding something new about love.
28 August 2007, 09:40 AM
Doug Spaulding
Maybe he understands the Christ even better than we do - we just don't know.

He's a Unitarian, and they're usually pretty intelligent.

"Live Forever!"
28 August 2007, 10:22 AM
patrask
Well, in the spirit of Ray Bradbury and his works that question the societal constraints that confine us to more and more control by the state, I would but challenge all to watch the movie ZEITGEIST. Do not stop in the middle or beginning, even though it may upset you if you are a believer, but continue on to the very end and then post here what thoughts have been running through your head after the questioning has begun. A truly interesting movie with very unsettling issues that you will not see on the mainstream media.

http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/