Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    To ALL Christians: Pray Ray Bradbury into Heaven
Page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 23

Moderators: dandelion, philnic

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
To ALL Christians: Pray Ray Bradbury into Heaven
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
If someone tells me they don't know what midrash means, then I know that they have no idea how to even begin to read the Bible.

Why, it's between a highrash and a lowrash.

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug Spaulding:
Nonsense!!

They were NOT stories handed down. Where the heck do you get this nonsense? It irks me to no end when you read this kind of stuff and other people who know nothing about the Gospels take it as fact.

MATTHEW wrote the Gospel of Matthew around 49-50. HE wrote it. Not handed down. He knew Christ. First hand. Personally. No hand me down story.

Gospel of Mark was written by MARK! He wrote it after the death of Peter. He also knew Christ personally. He ate with him, talked with him. No hand-me-down story. Based on the death of Peter, Mark wrote the Gospel of Mark probably around the year 67 or thereabouts.

LUKE was written by Luke!! Again, not a hand me down story. It was written by Luke likely around the year 60, and Luke was also the writer of ACTS. Now confusion might start up for some because some of the Epistles are dictated. Like Ray dictated the entire story, Let's "All Kill Constance", to his daughter Alexandra. THAT does NOT mean the novel was written by Alexandra, or that it is actually a hand-me-down story.

The Gospel of JOHN was written when John was an old man. He also wrote The Revelation (of Jesus Christ) when he was thrown onto the island of Patmos. He wrote it. NOT hand me down stories.

(...as to midrash, now I take it you're into heavy duty JEWiSH STUDiES, tittle, dash dot.. ' '' " . )

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nico:
Why, it's between a highrash and a lowrash.

Roughly. But seriously, no, it's not a Jewish skin condition. It's a way of understanding how the scriptures were written, and is very enlightening.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
...as to midrash, now I take it you're into heavy duty JEWiSH STUDiES...

Heavy! The only way to read the Bible is through Jewish eyes.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug Spaulding~

Well, DUH!

Who do you think Jesus was? Lithuanian?

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
Doug Spaulding:
Nonsense!!

MATTHEW wrote the Gospel of Matthew around 49-50. HE wrote it. Not handed down. He knew Christ. First hand. Personally. No hand me down story.

Gospel of Mark was written by MARK! He wrote it after the death of Peter. He also knew Christ personally. He ate with him, talked with him. No hand-me-down story. Based on the death of Peter, Mark wrote the Gospel of Mark probably around the year 67 or thereabouts.

LUKE was written by Luke!! Again, not a hand me down story. It was written by Luke likely around the year 60, and Luke was also the writer of ACTS. Now confusion might start up for some because some of the Epistles are dictated. Like Ray dictated the entire story, Let's "All Kill Constance", to his daughter Alexandra. THAT does NOT mean the novel was written by Alexandra, or that it is actually a hand-me-down story.

The Gospel of JOHN was written when John was an old man. He also wrote The Revelation (of Jesus Christ) when he was thrown onto the island of Patmos. He wrote it. NOT hand me down stories.

We differ slightly in our understanding of history.

Matthew died in the year 34, yet the gospel attributed to him was written in about 80-85.

Mark died in 68, and his gospel was written in 70 (at the earliest).

Luke died in 84, and his gospel was written in 80-84, so this one is a possibility.

John died in 110, and his gospel was written in 90-100, so another possibility.

What is far more likely is that midrash happened.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Knox:
patrask!

"You must be like a child to enter the kingdom of heaven!"
-Jesus Christ-

You sound all too grown up!

The gospels were written by people with first-hand experience with Jesus. They ate with him, they spent days, weeks and months with Him, and, like his brother James, spent a lifetime.

Scripture is all about Pride, and free-will that went astray and turned in on itself. The way for those that went astray to have their free will restored is to be given back their original free-will. We were originally made in the image of God. It takes God to give it back. By accepting Christ, you are invaded by Jesus and your mind and soul are thus restored to the original condition of free-will. Because that's what Jesus is: God!

It's a life long struggle. Pride loves the spotlight.

Phil: I am an enternal child in search of the wonderment of the universe. I have opened my heart to the giver of life and asked to be shown the light of truth. My sources are ever changing and are dropped when proven to be wrong or false, to be replaced with new and better information that collaborates other sources to weave a stronger fabric - THE TRUTH.

Now, Since you are on such good ground with all of this, please prove to me that what you say above is valid, regarding the Gospels, MMLJ, which are the only source of the story. Where is the collaboration, from non-Biblical sources which should be abundant, since any of the things that are discribed in the Gospels would surely have been noticed and become the Top Ten of the day. And yet, No collaborating sources. Then, if you watched Zietgeist, how do you explain the correspondences between other stories, from the Egyptian on down, that so resemble the things that are noted in the four Gospels? I am to become as a little child and believe what is written in one book, while not even acknowledging conflicting books or similar stories. It sounds like mind control to me, get the children early enough and I will have them forever someone famous once said.

Faith is one thing, Truth is quite another. Let's not hurt each other over words that cannot be supported by facts. Just say my Faith tells me .... and I will say my research and reading has shown .... and we can still be friends.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
First, I'm not an apologetics major. Or even a minor one. So I'm certainly not going there.

I will say that this particular "Pray for Ray" posting was ONLY for Christians!! Somehow that point went totally astray.

This posting was for people who know the truth found in Christ, and have been saved from their own selves by Christ's death! I was asking pray for Ray from people who can discern eternity because of their relationship with God, thru Christ. All this falls silently on the ears of the unregenerated. I was one, once, and know how aggravated and argumentative I would have been reading this before I was born again. So, for those that this applies, don't debate this. Please.

So, again...
Please Pray for Ray Bradbury to come to saving knowledge of Christ. He writes about Him, but his understanding is human, humane and cultural...a sinner's best effort to discerning the unknown.

When we permit ourselves to be captured by the cross of Christ we, as it is written in the book of Ephesians, chapter 3, "...begin to be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width, the length and depth and height of the love of Christ which passes all knowledge..."

~Thanks

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patrask:
Then, if you watched Zietgeist, how do you explain the correspondences between other stories, from the Egyptian on down, that so resemble the things that are noted in the four Gospels?

I assert that the majority of evidence for this in Zeitgeist is either wrong or nonexistent or taken out of context.

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Midrash, shmidrash!
St. Patrick, even in Heaven, must weep over all the stuff that happens on his day, including some of the posts on this board.

Nard, I physically ache every time you have to respond to those who keep hijacking this thread! I say let 'em get their own pistic shmistic shmidrash thread! Or their own website! But perhaps the idea of a captive audience is too irresistible.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Shmidrash is a good word.

I doubt Saint Patrick reads this forum.

I have offended Mr Kordellll. I shall not speak of truth any longer on this thread, only on the orange crop thread. It all started because I replied to Mr Knox's ideas on the gospels, ideas which I could not in good conscience just ignore.

Pray, accept my apology.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Nard,

I remembered to pray for Ray yesterday!

I hope that Ray will one day be "Onward!", "Forgiven", "Redeemed!" and "Sealed" by the blood of Christ Jesus!

In case I forget, Happy Easter to all the Christians out there!

BH

Posts: 83 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 11 April 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
THANKS! Blind Henry. Really not blind at all.

There happens to be a Christian working in Ray's home. She is a young black girl. I never met her. But she met evangelical leader Rick Warren on his way from spending an hour at Ray's home.

posted Hide Post
Hmmm! Remember Naaman's servant girl?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II~

YES! I found that passage in 2nd Kings 5, starting with the first verse. The reading gave a thrill thru my heart. Naaman, stubborn, but eventually yielding and healed. And the servant girl, stolen from the land of Israel, now a heavenly spokesperson

( I received an email 'Easter Card' from Ray today. He writes why he believes in God. I'm debating if I should post it. Has anyone else received the same Easter message from Bradbury?)