Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Diseased Meteor Will Kill Us All?
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Diseased Meteor Will Kill Us All?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Dick's show was "The Dick Van Dyke Show". Jerry (his brother) appeared on that show a few times, but Jerry's show (which didn't run very long) was "My Mother, The Car".

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://epguides....0%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, I only knew him as Luther Van Dam on COACH. So, that's what they mean by "veteran television actor".

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He was also offered the part of Andy's deputy after Don Knotts left the Griffith Show in 1965. He turned down the role, which might not have been a bad idea - look at what happened to poor Jack Burns .

You just can't replace Don Knotts!

Am I right? Huh? Huh? Huh?

But I digress. You were speaking of meteorites.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
He was also offered the part of Andy's deputy after Don Knotts left the Griffith Show in 1965. He turned down the role, which might not have been a bad idea - look at what happened to poor Jack Burns .

You just can't replace Don Knotts!

Am I right? Huh? Huh? Huh?

But I digress. You were speaking of meteorites.

I heard that Don Knotts is alive and well and living on a meteor much the way Pecos Bill done rustled him up that ternader.

And you're right... Don Knotts cannot be replaced.

Free sci-fi mag online at:thelordshen.com

Posts: 178 | Location: Currently Flint, MI | Registered: 28 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I posted this story on 9/18/07. Here's a follow-up:

"On what started as a normal Saturday night one week ago, residents of a small, remote Peruvian town saw a bright light streak across the sky, heard a resounding bang and suddenly found themselves at the center of a media frenzy.

Initial suspicions of an airplane crash quickly spiraled into widespread reports that a meteorite had plummeted to Earth and left a smoking, boiling crater whose supposedly noxious fumes were reported to have sickened curious locals who went to peer at the hole.

Despite doubts expressed by geologists that the crater was actually caused by a meteorite and firm explanations that a meteorite would not even emit fumes and that the "sickness" was likely a case of mass hysteria, numerous onlookers far and wide were fascinated by the idea that this event could be some real-life "Andromeda Strain" (the 1969 novel by Michael Crichton), where a mysterious rock falling to Earth from outer space made anyone who went near it ill."

SOURCE

Mass hysteria seems to have caused the 'illness'. A sort of mass psychosomatic reaction.

Free sci-fi mag online at:thelordshen.com

Posts: 178 | Location: Currently Flint, MI | Registered: 28 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Psychosomatic is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bet it was a weather balloon.

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
General Hardhat says: "See, the weather balloon explaination is a good one. It's got some legs on it and the locals will eat anything we feed 'em. We say it was a weather balloon, and leave it at that. Maybe send in Ollie North's boys to plant a prop but nothing more. We can always resort to more extreme measures in order to secure the situation if that's what needs to be done. Alright, we'll go with the arsenic too."

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

posted Hide Post
Braling II:
Glad to see someone with a knowledge of difference between meteors and meteorites.

I never owned a meteor, but I have had a couple meteorites on my bookshelf.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for acknowledging the knowledge, Nard!

We really should all meet sometime. Whatever became of the picnic idea? Maybe we could all meet in Peru?

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Macu Picu?

Did You Know??? The Incas never realized the wheel. Everything was hauled on donkeyback. They built fantastic cities high in the Andes without the use of the wheel. They were an advanced society, capable of building great cities, planting crops and irragating them on terraced mountainsides, and predicting astronomical events. But they never realized the wheel?

Costa Rica is nice too. But Big Sur is closer, and about halfway from the SoCal clan and the NorCal clan. And much cheaper than Yosemite or Las Vegas or Lake Tahoe.

Big Sur would be my vote. They have affordable cabins and they even have some tent camping. I'll show up in drag.

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

posted Hide Post
How does a woman dress in drag these days? Is there any article of clothing traditionally worn by men that hasn't by now become acceptable to be worn by women?
Now a guy in drag still causes a stir.

Anyway, Big Sur is nice. And near there is a small place that bears my favourite California Spanish name: Salsipuedes. Anyone out there know how that translates into English? (It's a good one!)

I wonder, though, if we couldn't meet philnic and tinkerbell halfway. Maybe Biplane's house?

posted Hide Post
Florida? That's a long drive.

posted Hide Post
Canned Salsa?