Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Diseased Meteor Will Kill Us All?
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Diseased Meteor Will Kill Us All?
 Login/Join

posted
Not sure where to put this, but it sounds right up our alley (defining 'our' or 'we' as Bradbury fans and fans of science fiction in general).

LIMA (AFP) - Villagers in southern Peru were struck by a mysterious illness after a meteorite made a fiery crash to Earth in their area, regional authorities said Monday.

Around midday Saturday, villagers were startled by an explosion and a fireball that many were convinced was an airplane crashing near their remote village, located in the high Andes department of Puno in the Desaguadero region, near the border with Bolivia.

Residents complained of headaches and vomiting brought on by a "strange odor," local health department official Jorge Lopez told Peruvian radio RPP.

Seven policemen who went to check on the reports also became ill and had to be given oxygen before being hospitalized, Lopez said.

Rescue teams and experts were dispatched to the scene, where the meteorite left a 100-foot-wide (30-meter-wide) and 20-foot-deep (six-meter-deep) crater, said local official Marco Limache.

"Boiling water started coming out of the crater and particles of rock and cinders were found nearby. Residents are very concerned," he said.

SOURCE

Did Chrichton predict this in The Andromeda Strain?

Or did Steve McQueen in The Blob?

Big Grin

Free sci-fi mag online at:thelordshen.com

Posts: 178 | Location: Currently Flint, MI | Registered: 28 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Likely struck a radioactive dump from the Russians, something left over from the Cuban missile crisis. Sneaky dumping. Or maybe just a whole lot of something from man made source discarded haphazardly. Diseased meteor? Figured it'd be destroyed by the heat of re-entry.

Posts: 384 | Location: Anaheim, CA. | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, now you know how they get rid of the waste from the occupants of the space station. They dump it out the window.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Otherwise known as "Brown Ice".

"What a blessing!!! God has smiled down upon us and showered us with a bounty of fudge-sicles!!!"

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LordShenBig Grinid Chrichton predict this in The Andromeda Strain?

Or did Steve McQueen in The Blob?

Big Grin

No, Bradbury beat everyone to it with It Came from Outer Space! (That was TOO easy!)

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What's that one from Dandelion? The reason I ask is that just the other day, I bought a hardback from clearance for a dollar with the title They Came From Outer Space. Under the title a description, 12 Classic Science Fiction Tales That Became Major Motion Pictures. When I got home, I realized that the introduction is by none other than Ray. The book is copyright 1980. Ray's introduction is titled The Turkey That Attacked New York and it is really interesting and sheds some insight into his formative years going to the movies with his mother. It's about four pages long. The other stories with the exception of the Foghorn which was adapted into The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms are not Ray's stories but stories that eventually became movies. Is this what you were talking about? I perused Phils awesome site in hopes of finding it but to no avail.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dandy is referring to this movie. The complete story of how Bradbury's script was turned into the film is told in this book.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, okay, thanks phil.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The film was directed by Jack Arnold, who later directed Gilligan's Island, featuring Russell Johnson, who was in It Came From Outer Space.

For our British friends, Gilligan's Island was a highly intellectual American situation comedy, which Jerry Van Dyke turned down to accept the part on My Mother the Car.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug! Shame on you! Trying to deceive our British friend like that!

(Wanna see the unaired pilot?)
http://video.aol.com/video/tv-gilligans-island-marooned-unaired-pilot/1828723

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Doug! Shame on you! Trying to deceive our British friend like that!

Wanna see the unaired pilot?

Deceive!?

I have a copy of the pilot on video or DVD somewhere or other.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It Came from Gilligan's Island LOL.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I loved My Mother The Car, becasue of Jerry Van Dyke, Now that was the era of real kitch! Thanks for the heads up on Dandelion Wine at the Fremont. I will try and make it.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wasn't it Dick Van Dyke? I think Jerry played "Luther" on the TV series COACH.