Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    It's not about fruits, it's not about you and it's not about us...
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's not about fruits, it's not about you and it's not about us...
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
LordShen~
In betwixt everything you experience, perfectness exists, and is the driving force of everything. There's a name for this: God, transcendental mysticism, Buddha,etc etc etc. It's there, and has always been there, and always will. The most decrepit person can sense it, the most moral person will incorporate it. Those most vile will be strangled by it, the most humble person will find it. A soul is restored by it.

The difference between a soul and space? A soul is who you are. Space is the great unknown!

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I agree with every word the embroiderer says.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Betwixt is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our future is in our hands...immortality is written in space/time lingo and Mr. Bradbury has sewn the fabric thereof.

believer in Douglas

Posts: 58 | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by embroiderer:
LordShen~
In betwixt everything you experience, perfectness exists, and is the driving force of everything. There's a name for this: God, transcendental mysticism, Buddha,etc etc etc. It's there, and has always been there, and always will. The most decrepit person can sense it, the most moral person will incorporate it. Those most vile will be strangled by it, the most humble person will find it. A soul is restored by it.

The difference between a soul and space? A soul is who you are. Space is the great unknown!

What I meant to imply is that the space program is an expression of human desire - which incorporates human experiences and souls - and thereby penultimate evidence of the soul. The queston was rhetorical and leading. Perhaps misleading? Oh well

Free sci-fi mag online at:thelordshen.com

Posts: 178 | Location: Currently Flint, MI | Registered: 28 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It IS about fruits....PRUNES at that!!

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prunes have gotten a bad rap...they are healthy...

believer in Douglas

Posts: 58 | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think we are the thinking animal, who stands and marvels at his universe, and possesses the ability to question and to learn. But like all living things, we are bound to follow the Prime Directive: proceate and ensure that the gene pool continues into the future. For that reason we will enter space and beyond, to learn and to ensure the species continues to change and grow in new knowledge. For those who believe that all the answers have been written down in a book, there is only faith that they are right. Please do not prevent the remainder of the species from continuing on the journey into the future of startling new discoveries and the adaptation that must result from the change in our near environment. The Human animal is a learning machine powered by chemical energy. It may be that silicon is a more suitable "Body" for space travel. We may see Mankind reborn into silicon and driven by another energy source, still on the path to looking for its creator in the dark depth of space. Would that change the "Soul"? Give me first food - energy, then safety, and then give me answers to my questions, which will never stop, as the next answer only leads on to the next question. To me, that is why life is so interesting.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patrask:
I think we are the thinking animal, who stands and marvels at his universe, and possesses the ability to question and to learn. But like all living things, we are bound to follow the Prime Directive: proceate and ensure that the gene pool continues into the future. For that reason we will enter space and beyond, to learn and to ensure the species continues to change and grow in new knowledge. For those who believe that all the answers have been written down in a book, there is only faith that they are right. Please do not prevent the remainder of the species from continuing on the journey into the future of startling new discoveries and the adaptation that must result from the change in our near environment. The Human animal is a learning machine powered by chemical energy. It may be that silicon is a more suitable "Body" for space travel. We may see Mankind reborn into silicon and driven by another energy source, still on the path to looking for its creator in the dark depth of space. Would that change the "Soul"? Give me first food - energy, then safety, and then give me answers to my questions, which will never stop, as the next answer only leads on to the next question. To me, that is why life is so interesting.

Hooey! Along with some of Bradbury's misconceptions about this idea of our species continuing itself by reaching the stars. There is one reason why we are here. To Know God. To Love God. And to Honor God. And to be happy with him once these mortal bodies fail. But we live in a culture about Me. Myself. I. What I can figure out. What I can get out of it. It's man that sees himself in the mirror of a canal and that's the Martians. If that ain't an invasion of Mars I don't know what. Martians turned to something like burnt and charred blackened remains. Why is man always seem to have to displace and take over? Can he not honor God as his creator but must always seek himself as the god?

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Knox:
Why is man always seem to have to displace and take over? Can he not honor God as his creator but must always seek himself as the god?

It is easy to ignore how the soft overcomes the hard. Fear of vulnerability, and a fear of cognitive dissonance.

Which is why we're more attached to escapist activities today, when we should be colonizing Mars.

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Knox:

Hooey! Along with some of Bradbury's misconceptions about this idea of our species continuing itself by reaching the stars. There is one reason why we are here. To Know God. To Love God. And to Honor God. And to be happy with him once these mortal bodies fail. But we live in a culture about Me. Myself. I. What I can figure out. What I can get out of it. It's man that sees himself in the mirror of a canal and that's the Martians. If that ain't an invasion of Mars I don't know what. Martians turned to something like burnt and charred blackened remains. Why is man always seem to have to displace and take over? Can he not honor God as his creator but must always seek himself as the god?

Look within to find your "God". We are all part of the whole and each knows that it belongs to a bigger entity, some call it "God", and speak of a "Him". Why not "Her" or even "It"? Because we invented this "God" ourselves to placate our doubts and fears, and thus built the description on what we all know best - ourselves - Man. The entity that we are but a small part of, and each is so, is unknowable by "Its" parts. This is an Eastern and very old view of the GodHead and one that I believe is more likely to bring Mankind into harmony with the Universe, seeing it not as our playground to use and abuse, but to integrate with and feel a part of a bigger living thing, in harmony with the Earth and all its creatures. Indigenous peoples of the world have known this for ages. Why can't Mankind see that what he seeks is within, and share the joy that comes from being One with the environment, the Universe. That, I believe, is how to really know what some call "God".

Bradbury has sent us to the outer reaches of our Solar neighborhood to show that Man needs to reach for the stars, in order to be closer to the larger entity, what some call "GOD". What a marvelous journey it will be as we mature and leave our Earthly nest and spread our wings into space.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The entity that we are but a small part of, and each is so, is unknowable by "Its" parts. This is an Eastern and very old view of the GodHead and one that I believe is more likely to bring Mankind into harmony with the Universe

What "Eastern view" are you talking about, exactly?

And why is it incompatible with ideas of "god" in "the west"?

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
patrask~
Phil, I have to disagree. Look inside and you often find "yourself." You may find 'evidence of God' and you certainly find evidence of God in the mountains, the stars, the creation He has made. And that is found in scripture: Romans 1, verse 20. It reads,
"For since the creation of the world, his invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead. So that they are without excuse."

You can "experience" the actual mind of Christ. God in human flesh. You can do it right here on Earth without going to Mars or the stars. Scripture even demands that we have this in order to be a genuine Christian.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
patrask~
Phil, I have to disagree. Look inside and you often find "yourself." You may find 'evidence of God' and you certainly find evidence of God in the mountains, the stars, the creation He has made. And that is found in scripture: Romans 1, verse 20. It reads,
"For since the creation of the world, his invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead. So that they are without excuse."

You can "experience" the actual mind of Christ. God in human flesh. You can do it right here on Earth without going to Mars or the stars. Scripture even demands that we have this in order to be a genuine Christian.

I don't think that the spiritual benefits of going forth into the universe cheapen the experience of Christ, which is supreme over all other experience.

It simply allows us to witness the glory of creation; it allows others too see a grand scale, a multitude of forms, thrown in their faces, they can't ignore it! And that leads to good paths. Looking inward is a good path. Looking outward can be too.

But the problem today is that no one seems to want to look anywhere that offers any difficulty or conflict, any deep challenges. People would rather watch television and youtube videos for cheap platitudes and illusions of absolution.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Because we invented this "God" ourselves to placate our doubts and fears, and thus built the description on what we all know best - ourselves - Man.

Phil Trask is right. I said it before and it bears repeating:

"If horses had gods, they would all look like horses."

- Spong

"Live Forever!"