Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Waukegan Considers A Statue of Ray
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Waukegan Considers A Statue of Ray
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Hope that this gets off the ground and happens. (Similarly, I'd love to see the museum plans for the old Carnegie Library in Waukegan come to fruition.) I'll donate what I can, but $125,000 is pretty steep. Hopefully some Bradbury fans with deep pockets will chip in.

And I agree with dandelion. Mayne would do a lot to rehabilitate his reputation as the guy who tore down Ray's house if he donated a chunk of change to this project. (Of course I'm sure he doesn't really care, but one can hope...)

Posts: 37 | Registered: 31 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There ought to be an entire museum complex featuring a reproduction of Ray's demolished house down to the smallest detail and Mayne should foot the bill!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Below is a link to a recent newspaper article detailing the fund raising efforts to date for the Ray Bradbury statue in Ray's childhood town of Waukegan, Illinois, as well as the future plans for a Ray Bradbury museum in that same town. The article notes that about half of the $125,000 needed for the statue has now been raised.
http://www.lakecountyjournal.c...ay-bradbury/a9g602k/

While I included this link in an earlier posting, I am including below for convenience the link to the website by which anyone interested in contributing to the fund raising efforts for the statue can make a monetary donation. Again, donors who give $500 or more will be permanently recognized near the statue on the grounds of the Waukegan Public Library:

http://www.raybradburystatue.org/give

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Richard,

Posts: 2455 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Richard, your choice of the ravine location is an excellent one. Perhaps a statue of him as an old man, perched in a living tree?

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds beautiful if possibly a bit unsafe.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I made a nice contribution to the Waukegan Public Library Foundation to help fund the statue. Hoping the funding stream will continue to make this project a reality.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: C. M. Christopher,

He said, "You're -- You're not waiting anymore, are you, Chris?"

Posts: 35 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 10 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
C. M. Christopher, that's great! I did the same last year. And for those who might be thinking of contributing: any amount, no matter how big or how small, will help make this well-deserved tribute to Ray Bradbury a reality.

posted Hide Post
Speaking of statue, my new film I did with Ray (the last project he worked on at his passing) is complete and hoping a film festival will show it.

You can see the trailer here: johnsasser.co

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Richard, this is the first I've heard of the statue, although I'm a recent addition here to the board. I am surprised it hasn't gained more traction more quickly. Ray Bradbury has so many fans worldwide, many quite wealthy, many celebrities who could help spread the word. I'll click on the link and make my own contribution. It won't magically help them achieve their goal, but every contribution will bring them a step closer.

Posts: 18 | Registered: 07 January 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Incidentally, if you make a contribution of $150 or more, you will receive a book directly from Ray's library.

I received a copy of "The Cat's Pajamas" which includes a bookplate in the front stating the provenance from Ray's library.

I already had a signed first edition of that book, but still kinda cool getting one from Ray.

Posts: 35 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 10 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As of May 3, 2018, over half of the $125,000 needed for the proposed statue of Ray Bradbury in his home town of Waukegan, Illinois has been raised. For the latest information on the fundraising, click on the link below. Also, links appearing earlier in this thread provide additional information for anyone out there who would like to contribute.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/...d-st-0504-story.html

posted Hide Post
I'll definitely be making another contribution this year. Hoping the statue becomes a reality soon!

posted Hide Post
I received a letter from the Ray Bradbury Statue Committee today. As of August 2, 2018, the Committee has raised $96,603 of the $125,000 needed to pay for the statue of Ray scheduled to be installed in front of the Waukegan, Illinois Public Library. For future updates and to make a contribution, you can visit:

www.raybradburystatue.org

posted Hide Post
Why can't they make Thom Mayne pay the difference?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Why can't they make Thom Mayne pay the difference?

This is a positive thread about making an effort to remember Ray with a really cool statue.

Why introduce something as nonsensical as that?

Incidentally, I have shared the fund raising effort for the statue on social media ... perhaps others who read this could do the same since very few people actually come to this board. And I'll be doubling my contribution this year towards making the statue a reality.