Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Christopher Reeve Condolences
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Christopher Reeve Condolences
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Only in the West, and the USA in particular, do we have the luxury of worry about the value of an embrio as a potential person. In most of the world, where there is poverty and starvation and great over population, such a worry would be meaningless to those in that situation. In some parts of the world parents kill their newly born children, or sell them into prostitution, to avoid the cost of having to feed and raise them. Ignorance abounds. Embrionic stem cells are not the problem. We enjoy this unique and very privaledged position in the West because of our pursuit of and mastery over technology, which has given us the standard of living which we now take for granted. If we do not maintain the forefront of technology, we will slip backward and others will leap ahead and take over the very priviledges which we so value. Then, concern over that emrionic stem cell will have lost its importance.

[This message has been edited by patrask (edited 10-13-2004).]

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm still waiting for an answer to my Norrie question and came across this thread and just can't resist adding my 2 cents worth. First off, an excellent article on the impact of Christopher Reeve's life was written by Patti Davis on the MSNBC site yesterday. Titled: "The Life He Left Behind - People who never met Christopher Reeve were emboldened by his crusade. If only President Bush had been one of them". It can be found at http//:msnbc.com/id/6232686/site/newsweek/ I hope that's right.
Secondly, I've been reading about the GOPs negative ranting about Sen Edwards referencing Christopher's life in the context of a political speech. I think Christopher would be proud to be included in that speech as it is a continuing monument to his work. What I find appalling is the Republican useage of the 3000 innocent lives lost on 9/11 as a political wedge. How must the families feel........ libRArY, it's always useful to expand on a theme to it's logical conclusion before basing an opinion. Gather, read, listen to as much information as you can to see if it works. It saves the embarassment of being proven wrong on a half baked thought.

Posts: 4 | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Christopher Reeve will alaways be Superman in my book. Most of all, a courageous and brave man. He was truly the Man Of Steel, right up the end. My condolences to his family. He will always be remembered and admired for his courage and perserverance. God bless you, Chris. We all love you and we will miss you.

Posts: 41 | Location: Louisville, Kentucky | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
George Reeves will always be Superman to me!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was one of my posts accidentally removed from this board?

Posts: 333 | Registered: 12 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While none of your posts was intentionally removed from this board, suffice to say that "Hal" has been doing some strange things lately. Several people were discussing a post which briefly appeared, then suddenly and mysteriously disappeared. I don't believe I EVER saw it. People making long and complicated posts might be advised to keep copies for awhile, while people with shorter contributions may want to "hold that thought," "just in case."

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think one of mine went bye-bye, too! Oh well, it wasn't anything earth-shattering!

Posts: 213 | Location: New Berlin, WI, USA | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark,

Many years ago in college Zoology there was a fellow student who, unfortunately was not mentally balanced, and who thought that plants could cry out in pain when cut. The class did not know how to react to this young man, who must have had a lot of other problems in his life. So perhaps Raold Dahl was speaking from knowing someone who had that experience as I did.

In regard to Chris Reeves, his autobiography was very interesting. I was struck by his appearance on one of the last things I saw him on as his head was bald and his face rather gaunt in comparison to earlier interviews when his brown hair was still in abundance and his face full. I realize that the ravages of the paralysis did affect much of his body. To soon for such a neat person to die.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am surprised no one has brought up 'The Secret Life of Plants'. The book described a series of experiments by a half-mad-or-half-inspired polygraph operator --- it's been over two decades since I read it, so inaccuracies will creep in --- in which he attached electric potential sensors to plants' leaves and then charted the plants' 'reactions' as he did a number of things. In the end, I believe, he had to conclude that plants were sensitive not only to their own good forune or misfortune but to that of whatever sentient life was in the room. And if my memory's not too inaccurate, they responded to intentions as well as deeds.

I don't want to get a rep as too 'dotty', but the book was enjoyable and convincing.

Posts: 34 | Location: houston | Registered: 30 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was also a test done where branches were stripped off particular trees in a certain area, and trees in nearby vicinities were measured at the same time with instruments that showed sap being withdrawn from their branches, as if expecting the same thing.

There is a heck of lot stranger things happening. I've heard scientists speculate that everything around you records forever every sound in its area. What's so strange about after someone leaves a room, they also leave a near perfect image of themselves long after they are gone, now known as possible because of the bodily heat that remains. Or that the air is filled with moving images and sound...radio and TV signals. Explain that to someone 150 years ago. You wouldn't be able to.

One of my parakeets flew out a temporarily open door the other day and I was really sad, because there was a history with this bird that dates back awhile. Troubled also because it is going to die out there while it meets a world it knows nothing about. The weather was fine and warm, and she took off thinking it was better in the sunlight. But I think it had more to do with the fact she couldn't find a boyfriend in the small bunch of parakeets I somehow have acquired. Not knowing that one week or so the weather is changing; tho it was nearly 80 last week in Chicago, tomorrow night it is supposed to snow here. So I thought... only if I were a bird, I could fly up there with the other birds and ask where my parakeet went... and talking bird -talk somone up in the air would probably know her whereabouts. You drop a piece of bread outside and darn if not nearly every bird in a half mile is at your doorstep in five minutes. Well, how is that? I'll tell you how. There's a lot of talking going on with these birds about that piece of bread and it's heard everywhere.

Of course, we're talking birds here, and trees and plants are a light leap away...but I think there is a whole lot more communication going on all around everyone... then you would ever dare to begin to imagine.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ever looked into residual hauntings, Nard?

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whither goeth this thread?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II:

Don't worry. My 'thread' automatically deletes after 72 hours.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post