Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Up to Speed!
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Up to Speed!
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Ray comes through, again in a pinch. To paraphrase someone My Father read once " Future Schlock " I think it was Toffler ? Bradbury is the Best!!! at showing all the rest... Hands down.

Posts: 49 | Location: Ogden, Utah. | Registered: 05 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's time to clean out my Library, to donate to the Stewart again, periodically I run out of space
the final frontier. So its time to go weeding again, and do somemores, reading!!? Nothing like
Spring,,,, cleaning...

Posts: 49 | Location: Ogden, Utah. | Registered: 05 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay...I agree without a doubt that Alvin Toffler is nothing like Ray, however...Toffler is an English educator who wrote mainly non-fiction.
It's like comparing apples to oranges.
Toffler's famous book, 'Future Shock,' was written in 1968 and released about 18 months later.
See if any of the things he said sound familiar. Now, some of these things are slightly paraphrased, but the basics of what he said in the book are correct:

As the population increases, violent behavior will increase exponentially.
Computers will shrink in size and become available to the everyday man. He will use these computers to communicate with others around the world.
Television will continue to stretch the limits and violence shown on the small screen will increase.

I could go on, but the basic point is that Toffler wasn't a fiction writer. He was a predictor. Read his book and you will be amazed. How he saw some of the things he did, especially predicting the changes in human behavior as the population of the world increased, is downright amazing. His book was a best seller and a shocker, not because people thought it was true, but because people could not and did not want to believe it... Cool

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Blevins, thank you for the information. I will
look it up!

posted Hide Post
Looking back now, Toffler could have been the guy in a peace march in the Sixties who would stand up and say, "Wait...let me tell you what it is really going to be like in 2006..." He was right, but no one wanted to believe him. Could you blame them? I think Toffler was a smart guy who extrapolated very well, saw beyond the time he lived in, and somehow got VERY lucky. Reading his book, you say..."oh, yeah. How the hell did he know THAT?"
Since we are already at the point he predicted, I suppose it's all moot now. Weird, though. Cool

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Simply more carrots in front of us, or not?

http://www.popmatters.com/columns/makowsky/060601.shtml

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm somewhat encouraged. I must say, though, she's not much of a writer herself. Opinionated. Likes the word "helmed". Mr. Bradbury's quotes, however, are rich and thought-provoking. As to the movie? We can only hope for something excellent and fairly soon...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently picked up this book at Goodwill:
'The Road Ahead' by Bill Gates.

Written in 1995, old Bill got everything right except two things: He thought HDTV wouldn't go far, and he thought more people would access the internet via their televisions.
Other than that, the book is amazing.

The book still had the CD on the back sleeve, unopened. I tried to access it, but only opens with Win95 or 3.1 so no luck... Cool

posted Hide Post
Robert, this seems like deja vu'. I could swear that someone posted a note in reference to this book and Gates being wrong on the popularity of HDTV. Am I going bonkers?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did I (totally) miss this as a post in recent weeks? Mr. Bradbury's message to the fans who visit here daily and others from time to time:

http://raybradbury.com/inhiswords.html

posted Hide Post
Totally!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! Thanks for sharing that, fjp. I had also missed it before. I feel honored he would put a message on this site!!

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<usernameOWNED>
posted
i will not buy this book. i will not even look at one page unless my eyes are going to be burned out if i dont lol.

so i guess thats all ur gonna get out of me -_-

emo ftw!!!/
SPAM!@$!@#$@#qwerty

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by usernameOWNED:
...so i guess thats all ur gonna get out of me -_-...

We can only hope!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post