Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Writers Who Have Dedicated Books to Ray

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Writers Who Have Dedicated Books to Ray
 Login/Join

posted
I recently picked up a copy of Richard Matheson's new short story collection, DUEL. The dedication reads, "To Ray Bradbury, a mentor, guide, and inspiration to me for more than fifty years." That dedication made me think about the tremendous influence that Ray has had on so many writers, both with his writing and his friendship, and other books that have been dedicated to him. Just off the top of my head, I recall the following books being dedicated to Ray: DARK COUNTRY, by Dennis Etchinson; IMPACT-20 by William F. Nolan; MOVING MARS, by Greg Bear; and FOOD FOR DEMONS, by E.E. Evans. The science fiction anthology, VISIONS OF WONDER, edited by David Hartwell and Milton Wolf, is dedicated to nine writing giants, including Ray. Also, BOY'S LIFE by Robert McCammon was dedicated in his afterward to a whole variety of people and influences, inluding a special mention of Ray. Can anyone else add to my list?

Posts: 2456 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is not exactly what you asked for, but I thought you might be interested: "The Bradbury Chronicles" is an entire book written to honor him. It contains 22 short stories written by his "literary comrades and heirs" as a "tribute to his genius." (I'm quoting off the back of the book.) I had read about this book and it took me about two years to locate a copy. The authors include Isaac Asimov, Cameron Nolan, Ed Gorman, Norman Corwin, Orson Scott Card, and more, including Ray himself. The stories are written in some ways like he writes and in some cases are like sequels to some of his stories, all because these people so greatly admire him. What a cool concept, and what a great book!!

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here are a few that I know of:
"October Dreams" an anthology edited by Richard Chizmar is dedicated to Ray Bradbury. "Orangefield" by Al Sarrantonio. W.F. Nolan's anthology "Dark Universe" is dedicated to Matheson, Beaumont, and Bradbury. "A Night in the Lonesome October" by Roger Zelzany is dedicated to a bunch of people including Bradbury as is Dennis Etchison's "Talking in the Dark" anthology.

Posts: 10 | Location: freehold,nj,usa | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the additional information. It is much appreciated!

Posts: 2456 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I remember correctly, both Stephen King's Danse Macabre and Harlan Ellison's Essential Ellison are partially dedicated to Ray.

Clive Barker may have as well......I know he has written some tributes to R.B. in various places, and the design of the book the Thief of Always is patterned after The Halloween Tree.

Posts: 4 | Location: IL | Registered: 03 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quite a number of books have been dedicated to Ray. A list Donn Albright made names 24 publications, books and magazines dated 1952-1981, so dedicated, and presumably he is keeping the list current. There are a couple of Bradbury bibliographies in print which I don't yet have so don't know whether these are listed.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post