Ray Bradbury Forums
Deanna Durbin

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1001093901/m/5111063562

30 October 2006, 08:49 PM
patrask
Deanna Durbin
Well, here I was, flippin' through the numbers on the tele and what did I see, but an ol' filim from 1937 starring Deanna Durbin. Me thinks its title was 100 Men and A Girl. Now, do any know what that might have to do with our man Ray? Gotcha, have I?

Well, think back a whiles to the first readin' of that wonderful story, The Anthum Sprinters. And, what was the boys doing that night? Why, they was watchin' a filim staring, of course, our little lady, Deanna Durbin, herself! And remember how they got so choked up at her up there on the silver screen, and listenin' to her beautiful singin' voice, that tears began to fall from their hardened eyes, and they couldn't get up outta their chairs and the end of the filim! Ah, she was their dahlin' little girl angel from heaven, so they just sat and cried with joy. I had a few tears myself after watchin' this filim, rememberin' how Ray caught the situation in his story and could now understand why the boys just had to sit and marvel at her angel voice. What a tribute to the Irish sentimentality! Let's have one to good old Ray and little Deanna, who kept them in their seats.
31 October 2006, 12:01 AM
Chapter 31
And it’s as beautiful as an Irish mornin’ she’ll always be!
31 October 2006, 12:46 AM
dandelion
It's already been established that the picture you mention was the only one Deanna Durbin made in 1937. So, Patrask, don't leave us in suspense. What DID she sing at the end? I know it isn't what the story said she sang, but after having further learned that the tune is older than the 1948 words, wonder if it could have been something to the same tune. Did it go anything like this? http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~irelandlist/innisfree.mid
31 October 2006, 04:47 AM
fjp451
Be sure to have Dandelion's music playing (post above) while you enjoy these pictures of a beautiful, smiling young lass. (Anthem Sprinters now makes that much more sense. I will read it again and be forever changed in my appreciation of the tale.)

Very nice exchange patrask and Dandy!

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?p=deanna%2...ei=UTF-8&fr2=tab-web

...and Happy Halloween!
31 October 2006, 08:51 AM
patrask
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
It's already been established that the picture you mention was the only one Deanna Durbin made in 1937. So, Patrask, don't leave us in suspense. What DID she sing at the end? I know it isn't what the story said she sang, but after having further learned that the tune is older than the 1948 words, wonder if it could have been something to the same tune. Did it go anything like this? http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~irelandlist/innisfree.mid

Alas, me better half pulled me away from the silver screen, with the tears streamin' down me face, to save me from the drown' it was. So, I did not see the whole filim, ya see? Maybe next time its on TCM I will lash meself to the chair, open a Guinness and get a big box of tissues to stay me through? Ah, what a lassie she was!
31 October 2006, 10:20 PM
Chapter 31
Ever see the picture of the accordion player crying at president Roosevelt’s funeral? He was playing a piece from Dvorak’s ‘Symphony for the New World”. The piece was adapted as the song “Going Home” and sung by Diana Durbin in the film “It Started with Eve”. I think that might be the film but the song isn’t at the very end.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chapter 31,
01 November 2006, 07:37 AM
Braling II
Wow. I haven't seen that in a very long time. Still moves me.
http://www.athousandandone.com/?p=10
01 November 2006, 09:21 AM
fjp451
Dvorak’s "New World Symphony" is my all time favorite piece of classical music. Moving!

As is the picture to which you have alluded, BrII. Tears like those pour forth not from our eyes but rather from our hearts and souls. Humanity, a fragile and complex condition.
04 November 2006, 09:13 PM
Chapter 31
The words to the song sung by Deanna Durbin in “It Started With Eve”:

Going Home
Music to the Largo of the Symphony “From the New World”
By Antonin Dvorak

Going home, going home,
I'm a going home.
Quiet-like, some still day,
I'm just going home.
It's not far, just close by,
Through an open door.