Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    So...Where Y'All From?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So...Where Y'All From?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
fjpalumbo- By "put out the lights" do you mean no electricity for 3 weeks at a time? Us Californians are so spoiled. Rolling blackouts had us bummed out.

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Literally o-u-t!! The accumulation of ice on major power lines built up (specifically "Ice Storm of '98") and caused poles to snap off and tumble, causing a domino effect for miles at a stretch. We invited 10 neighbors into our home until they could make arrangements with family or other friends. We have wood as a back up heating source and natural gas for hot water and were quite fortunate compared to others.

We cooked on the back porch with a propane grill, placed all of our freezer items in an igloo type structure we build on the deck, listened to the radio a lot, played games and cards, talked and ate at night by candle light. A real pioneer feel to it as everyone pulled together in checking on one another and sharing whatever was needed.

You could walk around the block, but the constant cracking and snapping of limbs was very intimidating to say the least. Every street was like a disaster area.

The National Guard came in and many of us chipped in to help feed hundreds of people all day long at our elementary school until Army flat beds with generators were finally able to get through (due to all of the incredible amounts of ice, downed lines, and snow build up) and power up facilities at the three colleges in the area.

After 3 1/2 days of sleet, hail, snow, and the most bizarre thunder and lightening storms, everything was encased in crystal clear ice! ....And then the temps fell to 10 below zero for nearly a week.

We missed over 3 weeks of school simply because nothing was working, not to mention how dangerous it was everwhere. Some homes were without power much longer. The storm came in from the Eastern Great Lakes Region, moved across the upper portion of NYS and followed the St. Lawrence R. up past Quebec, Can. There was massive damage to forests, property, and utilities.

So when I hint about being cautious in speaking about the warm weather "finally coming" to this region, it is not without reason...

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 05-16-2004).]

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few self-explanatory photos: http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/btv/html/ice98.html
http://members.rogers.com/brianscoffield/IcePage.html

*Click on the highlighted red key words (a few are inactive): http://webpages.charter.net/73monte/Ice_Storm/

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 05-18-2004).]

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Born in Dallas TX October 26,1960. Met Ray at a publishers convention in Chicago in late 90s. Very nice man. Seemed rather bored in the publisher's booth, but was likely obilgated by his publishers to attend. I am becoming a better reader and discovering more about this incredible author. I believe he has changed the face of our world and will continue to do so for a very long time.

Posts: 5 | Location: dallas, texas USA | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm from TX, and I'm really enjoyed Bradbury's work.... I have to, I'm being forced to read it!

Don't tell me what I'm doing.... I don't want to know!

Posts: 10 | Location: Orange, TX, USA | Registered: 10 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a born and bred cheesehead (from Wisconsin, for those folks not from the US of A); born in 1961. And what's not to get about Bradbury's work? Maybe because I read so darn much, there isn't a whole lot I "don't get" when reading Bradbury.

Posts: 213 | Location: New Berlin, WI, USA | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Niagara Falls, NY USA here - see my site - http://www.return.to/niagara - my dog walks you around the falls.

Posts: 4 | Location: Niagara Falls, NY USA | Registered: 20 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was born on a farm in the middle of Washington state. I didn't live there long. Now I live in Utah. I'm 21 years old.

I have never had a problem understanding Bradbury's works. The only bits that seem outdated are the unofficial rules of social interactions, ie, kids talking to strangers, or running off to the carnival unattended.

Posts: 32 | Location: Provo, Utah, USA | Registered: 09 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
cowboy_at_the_falls: I enjoyed your niagara tour pictures. I've been to Toronto several times on business, and understand the Niagara Falls are about an hour away, but I never go there. Nice shots.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess I'll get in on this.
Born in 1952 - just completed my 52nd solar orbit yesterday, in fact!
Former Seattle-ite, now in the even wetter Santa Cruz Mountains.
Do any of the few of you around my age remember getting up in the wee hours to watch rocket launches with the family on the grainy black-and-white TV?

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was born in 1944 and have no problem whatsoever in relating to Ray's writing. I grew up in a small town in Iowa, Ottumwa. That is where Richard Bach, author of Jonathan Livingston Seagul, et. al., was a neighbor of mine and how I got to meet Ray Bradbury. Tom Arnold, the actor, is also from Ottumwa.

Posts: 294 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's also where "Radar" O'Reilly (MASH) was from. Yes, I watch WAY too much television!

Posts: 213 | Location: New Berlin, WI, USA | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was born in Oceanside, CA (And I was introduced to RB before I left there) since then I have live in Hawaii, Texas, Philadelphia, Virginia, and Florida and I now reside in Atlanta, GA. As a youngin (born in 1986) I have NEVER had trouble comprehending RB, and that's why I love him...he's timeless!!!

Lauren Murray

Posts: 26 | Location: Snellville, GA, United States | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hey nerd boy...fellow film maker here!!! I am actually minoring in it. what kind of films do you make?
PS don't feel too young, I am only 18 too...

Lauren Murray

Posts: 26 | Location: Snellville, GA, United States | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Filmmaker!? Me too! I've only done short films, silly stuff, mostly, but I'm planning my first feature. The script is finished, and now I'm just trying to save up $5000 so I can afford the production.

Posts: 411 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post