Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    So...Where Y'All From?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So...Where Y'All From?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Hi, Braling II! No, I certainly remember J.P.Patches and Gertrude! And, oh God, I even remember Lloyd Cooney's commentary on KIRO. i loved watching 'Nightmare Theater' on Friday night, and 'Sci-Fi Theater' on Sundays. I guess those early formative influences shaped my taste in literature!

There is more than one way to burn a book.

Posts: 12 | Location: Seattle WA King | Registered: 24 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I think watching "Clutch Cargo" cartoons on "Captain Puget" gave some kids nightmares! (These were the ones that had nearly static animation with real human mouths superimposed on the faces - pretty creepy.)

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bumping up for new members.

Posts: 7303 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bumping up for our newest members.

Posts: 7303 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mog the Dog here.

Thanks for the bump, dandelion. The synthetic polymer which was used to make me was first produced in 1935, so I'll deem myself to be from the Bradbury era.

On the other hand, I took my present form as Mog the Dog in 1965, so I might more accurately describe myself as post-Bradbury.

I first laid eyes on a Bradbury book in 1971; it was a paperback version of The Illustrated Man that was sitting on the side of the bathtub appearing twice as thick as it had the week before having taken a bit of a swim one day.

I never read the book that year; I simply stared at it at least twice a day for over a year - not the swelled up book itself, not the tattoos, but the pair of eyes behind the horn-rimmed glasses. Those eyes belonged to someone I knew without actually knowing...

It was 1979 before I could look beyond the eyes and into the mind behind them from my place in a carboard box in the attic. My favorite human companion, who was sixteen years old that year, read The Martian Chroniclesas an assignment for English class. By 1980, she had read (and comprehended!) everything Bradbury had written that could be checked out from a public library.

MTD

"I was not born, but instead created. I’m not alive, and yet I exist. I will never die, but some day I will be forgotten, as was the light by which I came into this world." MTD

Posts: 168 | Location: Out of the Attic | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Mog, as one of the few canine visitors to this board, would you care to offer an opinion on Ray Bradbury's conjecture that "Dogs Think That Every Day Is Christmas"?

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We dogs certainly do not think every day is Christmas. We know it to be true withoutout having to think it...

Woof!

MTD

"I was not born, but instead created. I’m not alive, and yet I exist. I will never die, but some day I will be forgotten, as was the light by which I came into this world." MTD

Posts: 168 | Location: Out of the Attic | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Born in California in '76 - raised in CA and (West) Germany - left to be an exchange student in Costa Rica when I was 16, then went to university in Virginia. Since then have lived in France, Scotland, England and currently living in Belgium - but still travelling all over the world for work and pleasure. I love Bradbury wherever I am.
And for the record just shared Dandelion Wine with my Irish/Australian brother-in-law and he loved it - didn't seem to be any "translation" issues. Though he is married to a Californian.

Posts: 5 | Registered: 22 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bumped up for our new members.

posted Hide Post
Born at the French hospital in Los Angeles’ Chinatown in 1953. I have lived within 30 miles of Ray Bradbury all of my life.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
...I have lived within 30 miles of Ray Bradbury all of my life.

Isn't that called stalking? Big Grin

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
...I have lived within 30 miles of Ray Bradbury all of my life.

Isn't that called stalking? Big Grin

Hmmm, there is a flat for sale around the corner from his house. Now that's stalking.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
believe it or not, i was born in Mr. Bradbury's home town of Waukegan, and have lived there most of my life. although, i just recently relocated to Kentucky, i claim Illinois as my home.

-all bad things must come to an end, all that is good must grow.

Posts: 4 | Location: Henderson (Formerly Waukegan) | Registered: 30 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Born in 1978 in Southern California. Have lived all over the US thanks to mine and my ex-husband's stint in the US Navy.

I *AM* big... it's the pictures that got small! - Norma Desmond

Posts: 18 | Location: Former Navy and Navy wife, I've lived everywhere! | Registered: 31 July 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post