Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    So...Where Y'All From?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So...Where Y'All From?
 Login/Join

posted
One of Bradbury's detractors once wrote a "Case" against him. The sentence which stood out for me when I read the piece was that Bradbury was an author so tied to his own time and place as to make his work incomprehensible to anyone not born in America during the years 1920-1940! So, for the record: where are you from, and what era?

I'll start: I was born and live in America, West Coast.

And, if they care to admit it, was ANYONE here born between 1920 and 1940? I was born over 20 years after 1940 and the only thing I find "incomprehensible" about Mr. Bradbury's work is people saying they "don't get it."

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Born and live in England. Born 1961. Case closed!

(It's as bizarre as suggesting that Mark Twain would only make sense to people living on the banks of the Mississipi in the 1800s. Has this guy never heard of universal themes?)

- Phil

Posts: 406 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The article was "The Case Against Ray Bradbury," by Edward Wood. "Journal of Science Fiction," Fall 1951. (I don't think this is the same Ed Wood who did "Plan Nine from Outer Space." For one thing, Donn Albright related having met this guy years later and said "he still hates Ray Bradbury," and I think the movie Ed Wood was dead long before when this would have been, but I could, of course, be mistaken.)

I remarked to Donn how WRONG that statement was--I was born in 1961 also--(of course, both my parents were born well before 1940, and I'd have to be influenced by them, but still.) Since discovering this message board, I've been astounded by how universal Bradbury's ideas really are, apart from not only America but from English itself! For a lengthy era, Russia was considered the USA's number one nemesis--you should read "Mars and the Mind of Man"--about half of it seems to be speculating on "what the Russians will do and how much they'll tell us"--yet some of the best readers and posters here are from Russia! Now, THAT really says something!

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was born in 1968 in PA. I live in Ohio now. No comprehension problems with RB.

Posts: 116 | Location: Akron, Ohio, USA | Registered: 30 October 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Southern Cali
Born: 1980
I think this guy just needed some attention.

Posts: 411 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Uh oh...1959 here, born in Rifle Colorado, Raised in Carlsbad near the Caverns...or the Roswell crash site(partied with Brassil's grandson) Now I live in Fort Worth, near Carswell(where they took the 'bodys'). I seem to keep living near debris fields! Columbia is a REAL one(saw that happen) But is Roswell real? I missed seeing that by 12yrs or so..(would rather see Yeager if I was going back).

John AJ

Posts: 35 | Location: Fort Worth,Texas,USA | Registered: 13 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Although Ray would probably tell you otherwise, I believe Roswell is real. As with any controversial event, conflicting stories arose, sometimes years later, but that doesn't mean nothing really happened. A Discovery Channel program recently made a good case for it.

posted Hide Post
I was born in 1969 in Portugal, I've never been to USA, and I have no difficulties in understanding B's stories!

Posts: 20 | Location: Caldas da Rainha, Portugal | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everyone knows that age is only a state of mind, I love Bradbury and comprehension is never an issue!

Illinois, USA

Posts: 6 | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Born in Poland, 1982. Raised in Poland, Russia, Germany, France. Currently reside in Canada. No problem with Bradbury.
Cheers, Translator

Lem Reader

Posts: 626 | Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was born in Fairfax VA, in 1980 and have never moved I went to collage at George Mason University and when I was 15 i spent a year in London as a exchange student. I first read Ray when i was 14 and I have never had a problem understanding it.

[This message has been edited by whateverfloatsyourboat (edited 04-04-2004).]

sandy...

Posts: 12 | Location: fairfax,va,USA | Registered: 01 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Born in 1972 in America. I have no difficulties either, when it comes to Ray's books and other projects.

Posts: 41 | Location: Louisville, Kentucky | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My mom got me into Bradbury a while ago. she said he's her favorite author, and she was born in Iowa, 1955. we are in Washington DC now.

By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes.

Posts: 113 | Location: Kensington, Maryland, USA | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Born (1955) and raised in the Los Angeles area. Turned on to Bradbury via a pressured reading of F451 in 9th grade (a friend nagged me to death until I read it). It changed my life. That book turned me on to the idea of ideas. We are what we think, at some level.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dandelion asked nicely, so for the record, I was born in Cape Town, S. Africa, in 1954. I still live there, give or take 20 miles.

I have no trouble understanding Ray's works, and don't see why anyone would.

Posts: 110 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post