Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Spirit of Montag?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spirit of Montag?
 Login/Join

posted
A new blog - guymontag.org - has appeared. It's run by a legal librarian who is interested in our attitudes to the web and books. Might be worth a look from time to time. The full explanation is here:

http://guymontag.org/?page_id=2

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting! His opening "About" statement could have come right out of one of the books I'm reading: "The Cult Of The Amateur".
I don't recall that Montag is a "California Fireman", though, but it has been a long time since I read the book. I think I'll check that site from time to time to see how it develops...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Montag was from Illinois, not California.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
A new blog - guymontag.org - has appeared. It's run by a legal librarian...

Good - I hate it when illegal librarians try to establish weblogs!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about Conan The Librarian? Nobody ever returns books late with him around!

Dandy, thanks for the clarification. I'll have to read the book again - I don't recall any state or even country being mentioned...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
I don't recall any state or even country being mentioned...

Nor do I. I have a full electronic text of F451, and I've just done a search for both California and Illinois, and neither state is mentioned anywhere in the novel.

HOWEVER, Montag does recall meeting Mildred in... Chicago!

Plus, Beatty refers to the McClellans as once living in Chicago.

So to say Montag was from Illinois seems highly plausible.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sheesh, talk about having a grudge against Wikipedia...

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To all:

I am the law librarian running guymontag.org. Thank you for your comments and the correction (Guy was not a "Californian") If you have any suggestions, comments or story ideas, please feel free to email them to me, david@guymontag.org. My concern is for the printed word which I am sure is shared with many on this site. Thanks

David

david@guymontag.org

Posts: 1 | Registered: 16 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi, Guy.

Wasn't the city destroyed at the end said or implied to be Chicago, or did I just infer that from the other mention of Chicago?

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wishful thinking?

Sorry, cheap shot. Never been there, would love to visit. Preferably in summer. In all the movies I've seen, Chicago looks mighty cold in the winter.

Anyhoo, the only explicit mentions of Chicago are the ones I referred to in the earlier post. And even those aren't enough to confirm that the story is taking place IN Chicago. In fact, it seems more reasonable for it NOT to be in Chicago, since the only references to it are in characters' memories. Maybe it's set in the next big city along from Chicago, whatever that would be.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Oh, and Doug Spaulding: notice that David calls himself a LAW librarian so as to evade the idea of being either a legal or an illegal librarian.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Ray said once that "the sun dresses you in L. A." where winter in Chicago was the lowest level (the seventh rung or wherever the really cold part was) in Dante's Inferno.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Oh, and Doug Spaulding: notice that David calls himself a LAW librarian so as to evade the idea of being either a legal or an illegal librarian.

I noticed that straightaway!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Straightaway is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Ray said once that "the sun dresses you in L. A." where winter in Chicago was the lowest level (the seventh rung or wherever the really cold part was) in Dante's Inferno.

Ray has certainly remarked to me just recently that the weather is one of the things he loves about SoCal.

"Live Forever!"