Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Real Life Book Burnings
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Real Life Book Burnings
 Login/Join

posted
A topic worthy of its own thread. First up: Just what Germany doesn't need--ANOTHER massive book burning!
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/040902/325/f1tqz.html

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's tragic. The library has some pretty cool stuff. Doesn't list what articles were lost, does it?

Here's another kinda similarly themed item.

Headline says, "Pentagon Censors PEOPLE'S RIGHT TO KNOW Video."
http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20040901020909990002&cid=936

[This message has been edited by grasstains (edited 09-04-2004).]

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
grasstains,

I read an article about that; it's kind of funny, in a warped way.....

Posts: 213 | Location: New Berlin, WI, USA | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
grasstains: Your post above address was for AOL users only, according to the appearing box!!

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What box?

I just learned how to cut and paste about a month ago. I don't know all the 'ins and outs' yet. I'm all ears, oh' wise one.

[This message has been edited by grasstains (edited 09-20-2004).]

posted Hide Post
I couldn't open that up, either. General netiquette on these kinds of deals is that if you're going to include a link, you should include a short, but explanatory statement about what the link is. This thread has a couple links that are undefined.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh...

The link is an article about singing plants. The flower works as a speaker and the leaves do little jig.

It reminded me of something you might find on THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES mars.

Did the other link work for anybody?

[This message has been edited by grasstains (edited 09-20-2004).]

posted Hide Post
That does sound "Martian Chronically". Thanks.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, this one should work because it's from the N.Y. Times.

It's about how Germany's art scene has never really been restored since the Nazis destroyed it.

Here's an excerpt.
"That the exhibition featured art the Nazis called degenerate and banned, and that was thereby lost for German museums, is a fact implicitly understood here. Berlin is a cultural capital lacking cultural capital when it comes to modern and contemporary art, so the city has become anxious, even desperate, as the Flick loan illustrates, to gets its hands on some now."

Here's the entire article. http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/27/arts/design/27flic.ht...&ei=5059&partner=AOL

posted Hide Post
grasstains:

I always think of how contrasting scripture is to our modern world, or the old world as well... or THIS world in all its histories and civilizations, as per Acts 19, vs. 18 & 19:

'''Many of those who had become believers came and openly confessed that they had been using magical spells. A good many of those who had formerly practised magic collected their books and burnt them publicly, and when the total value was reckoned up it came up to fifty thousand pieces of silver.'''

From this translation it sounds like a few held back from burning books.

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Considering that German museums still have some stolen russian and polish art in their museums, to say that they're lacking cultural capital is a misstatement- they have it, except it's not theirs.
Cheers, Translator

Lem Reader

Posts: 626 | Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeeaahh...I was thinking the same thing.

posted Hide Post
Here's a link to the gov. site which shows the F.B.I. files on famous people. No, I didn't see a Bradbury file. There's all the usual suspects; Sinatra, Elvis, Malcom X.

But then there's files on some people you wouldn't expect to see; Gene Autrey, Will Rogers, John Stienbech.

On that page you can access files regarding "unusual phenomena", X-Files.

http://foia.fbi.gov/famous.htm

[This message has been edited by grasstains (edited 10-01-2004).]

posted Hide Post
Well, Steinbeck you'd expect to see. He was openly sympathetic to the communist party at a time when "that wasn't cool".