Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Movies Ray Appeared
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Movies Ray Appeared
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Richard,
Just read “Mimsy Were the Borogoves” and you’re right, it is terrific.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is Jabberwocky framed on the wall of my den. My daughter learned it in grade school and so did I.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for clearing up that the movie is based on the Kuttner story. I was wondering if there was any connection. It's coming to my local theater soon and I will certainly catch it then.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just saw “The Last Mimzy” and think it is one of the great SF films. Script, casting, acting, fx budget, music (Howard Shore), all first rate. I’m thankful a 1940’s talking heads story could be made into such an excellent film. When is Ray going to get this kind of treatment?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chapter 31,

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just saw 'the last mimsy' as well.

..... First, the things I do not like about the film: Never read the original 1942 story, so I can only refer the film. Michael Clark Duncan, who plays the Homeland Security boss was total no-no as a choice. All I could see was junk he's done 'off' official camera. Oh, for those old days when we knew little of the personal life of actors and actresses unless we picked up a rag at the local newsstand, and even that didn't tell us the whole story. That, and the scene of his exorcism rite in 'The Green Mile'.
..... Also, the choice for the teacher with the fascination of Indian symbolism in drawings, was a big NO!! for me in the casting department. Everyone else, was okay. The kids were great. Even that bumpkin teacher's girlfriend was pretty good. The film as a whole? Nice stuff, some 'Spielbergish' stuff...the city loosing all its power and lights going off. The spider weaving bridges was great. In fact, the film needed more of that kind of stuff. But, unfortunately we got more new age voodoo at the end of the picture of highly evolved kids in school floating home after a day at class. Plus a new Adam and Eve style couple. Mimzy, the last Mimzy, a product of a far future 'intel' corporation, sent back into time to save humanity, was good stuff, and the entire story was actually good storytelling.
..... As a whole, the story was not fit for kids, more for adults with a head on their shoulders. Kids have one. But easily exchanged for other heads. The film led me over a very cumbersome trajectory over a terrian of new age symbolism, Indian mysticism, and a sort of a type of evolved heaven-on-earth theology.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IMHO Lewis Carroll was the Timothy Leary of his time, with two differences.

1) He didn't go real public with his exploration and use of hallucinigenic drugs, as Leary did.

2) Carroll had a much better imagination and more writing talent than Leary... Cool

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just realized that Ray is in this film (The Last Mimzy). Two relatively minor things have a gigantic affect. That’s not Paget (Kuttner/Moore), that’s Bradbury.

posted Hide Post
I had the chance to see THE LAST MIMZY yesterday. While a number of liberties were taken with the Kuttner/Moore story in updating it for present-day audiences, and while the downbeat ending of the written story was replaced by a feel-good "happy" ending, the film is nonetheless very entertaining, has some well-done special effects, and is quite suitable for the entire family.

Posts: 2447 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Me likely - too! Very entertaining, good theatre. Take the family, leave grandma at home, she won't understand it.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree with Richard. Things are changed in the film "the last mimzy," including some but not all names, and all through the film I had the feeling they were going to have to do something about "that ending." They certainly weren't setting up for such an outcome, but found an adequate and fulfilling substitute. A great film, highly recommended!

Things I STRONGLY FELT: the film owed as much to "E. T." as to Kuttner's story, and was almost as good, and, except for the upbeat ending, could just as easily have been of the Bradbury story "Zero Hour." Why CAN'T we have such a treatment of a Bradbury work? It certainly gave justice to the Bradbury feel!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patrask:
Me likely - too! Very entertaining, good theatre. Take the family, leave grandma at home, she won't understand it.

Agreement here, too. Got my mom reading the short story even as I post. She claims she doesn't understand it.

Yeah, she finished it and said, "Pretty sad ending." Doesn't want to see the movie although I told her they changed the ending.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dandelion,

posted Hide Post
"Ray bradbury is the great-great-great grandson of Mary Bradbury, a woman who was tried in the Salem Witch Trials in 1692, but saved herself from being hanged for witchcraft."

I wonder if thats true.

If it is, we share ancestory. My ancestor Susanna Martin was also in the salem which trials, except she hanged. She was my nine times great grandmother.

haha.

If there is a God, I know he likes to rock.

Posts: 274 | Location: Marooned | Registered: 15 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is so sad!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe it. I mean, what they say about her. Thats how all the women in my family are, this includes myself.

If there is a God, I know he likes to rock.

Posts: 274 | Location: Marooned | Registered: 15 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post