Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Movies Ray Appeared
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Movies Ray Appeared
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robot Lincoln:
...I noticed that the actor who plays the doctor in The Small Assasin is the same who portrayed the Captain in F-451...

Yes! It's Cyril Cusack, a great Irish actor, also father of Sinead Cusack and Niamh Cusack. (But apparently not related to John Cusack.)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! You have this down to a science. I pride myself on recognizing old actors from other eras. I just can't remember their names very well.

By the way, I am sorry about my accusation directed at you before. I was way out of line and wrong.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Robot,
Cyril Cusack played Barkis in the 1970 TV version of “David Copperfield” directed by Delbert Mann.

“Barkis is willin’!”

In “David Copperfield”, read the last line in Chapter 30 (oh, would that it had been Chapter 31. Oh, the heartbreak).

Now in “Dandelion Wine”, read the last line in “The Leave Taking”, (that chapter starts with, “She was a woman…”) and the last line is at either Page 204 or Page 141.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chapter 31,

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, now I've got to write down these clues, remember to get these books out when I get home and see what's there!
Dickens' characters are the best. I can just see Peggotty throwing her apron over her face and her buttons flying!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RB admits in the NEA "Big Read" of F451 (thanks, MC!) the book with the greatest influence on him personally was Dickens' Christmas Carol. Why? Scrooge decided to change (then received and gave love) before it was too late and, thus, he Lives Forever!

RB's comments are expressed very emotionally, in words as magical as his written passages.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fjp451,
“A Christmas Carol” was published in 1843. Lord Jeffrey wrote to Dickens regarding the story saying, “You may be sure you have done more good, and not only fastened more kindly feelings, but prompted more positive acts of benevolence by this little publication, than can be traced to all the pulpits and confessionals since Christmas, 1842.”

Braling II,
Ah, Clara Peggotty. “C. P. Barkis. No better woman anywhere!” No one could pop a button like Peggotty and no family ever had so many near relatives that were “drownded”.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chapter 31,

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And it being low water, he went out with the tide. And the sea moved her back down the shore.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What do you think, R.L., Ray was influenced by Dickens or great minds think alike?

posted Hide Post
Most definitely. I think he had a lot more influences than he even knows. He must have literally lived in the library as a kid.

Also, great minds do think alike.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rocket,

posted Hide Post
Aha! A diplomat.

posted Hide Post
I don't think there's much that escapes, and, therefore, influences a mind like that. That's why he surrounds himself with his "metaphors":
rubber Godzilla, his dad's Stetson, globe of Mars, masks from Mexico...
By the way, if you get to hear the Big Read CD, I promise you'll get misty (at least) whe he talks about "A Christmas Carol".

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Braling II,

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray Bradbury isn't in this movie, but his 'mentors/teachers' certainly are. Authors C.L. Moore and Henry Kuttner frequently used the name Lewis Padgett while writing together. The new Sci-Fi Fantasy movie out this weekend, 'the last mimzy' is listed as written by Lewis Padgett. (It was written in 1943). Hope it's as good as they say! Ray Bradbury loved them both, and they loved Ray.

Posts: 384 | Location: Anaheim, CA. | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To coincide with the release of the film, Del Rey Books has just re-issued a book that was originally published back in the 70's as THE BEST OF HENRY KUTTNER. The title of the re-issued book is THE LAST MIMZY as a movie tie-in. Ray wrote a wonderful and moving introduction about his late friend Henry Kuttner (who died tragically young of a heart attack in 1958...I think he was only 42 or so) for the original 70's release. Ray's introduction, "Henry Kuttner: A Neglected Master", is also included in the re-issue.

The story on which the film is based, "Mimsy Were the Borogroves", is terrific. I hope the film is as good.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Richard,

Posts: 2456 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With deference to the Jabberwocky, that's
borogoves.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Off to see the movie this weekend. Hope to report.

The output these two had together is quite a listing. If anyone has the chance, try looking at the Wikipedia and search their names there. Their work, together, and individually, is impressive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Kuttner
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C._L._Moore

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post