Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    THIS HAS BROKEN MY HEART, APOLOGETIC MICHAEL MOORE SAYS.
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

THIS HAS BROKEN MY HEART, APOLOGETIC MICHAEL MOORE SAYS.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Hitchens has a great prose style, but he takes contradictory and sometimes offensive positions, e.g. his book "The Missonary Position" which was an attack on Mother Theresa.

Posts: 17 | Location: nowhere, AK | Registered: 24 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Teetop,

Only Hitchens could have a problem with Mother Theresa. I think he's an acquired taste. A wonderful prose stylist, that's true. Entirely unpredictable on television, he doesn't suffer fools gladly. Of course I disagree with him on Reagan. I think he's spot on about Clinton and the war. Am I biased? Of course. But his piece on Moore's film seems sound and, based on what I know of Hitchens, I'll go along with him on this.

Best,

Pete

Posts: 547 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a counter-review to the Hitchens one, I present another (actually, a variety of others). Which are the better one? Who knows? Why not watch the movie, and then speak about it?
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/Fahrenheit911-1133649/

Also, I too had a problem with M Theresa. Not with her good intentions, perhaps, but with her methods.

Cheers, Tranaltor

Lem Reader

Posts: 626 | Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
-Now he is threatening critics and avoiding debate

Doesnt that remind you of someone else as well? Maybe our leader?

Posts: 7 | Location: Conway, MI, USA | Registered: 29 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Translator

Her methods?

( Oh. Don't you just love this? This is goin' to be good. )

'''''And...what methods be those, Translator?'''''

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Translator: I'm curious on this one, too. I'm looking forward to this one!

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray's ego is enormous! He didn't copyright the word Fahrenheit did he? Get over it you old coot.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 30 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I want to thank all of you and Mr. Bradbury for seizing upon the opportunity to promote his book and this so-called title controversy. It has done a great job of keeping Moore's movie fresh in the news cycle. Well done. I hope both artists make a lot of money.

Fahrenheit 451 is now ranked 56th on Amazon! Those $5 paperbacks are flying out of the warehouse. And I'm sure it will continue to climb up in the rankings. Brilliant move. Keep up the great work.

Moore's film has made it big... the film is #1 (until tonight when Spidey 2 opens). Last weekend's per screen average was over $9,000 (vs. Hollywood's usual $2,500).

Carpe diem.

Ray

Posts: 1 | Registered: 30 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Also, I too had a problem with M Theresa. Not with her good intentions, perhaps, but with her methods."

This is unbelievable.

A woman devotes her entire adult life to caring for and serving India's rejected "lessers," making Calcutta a refuge for those lost, alone and dying and you 'had a problem' with that? Oi.

Enlighten us: what better methods have YOU used while sacrificing everything in YOUR life to help others?

Posts: 20 | Location: Springfield, Missouri, USA | Registered: 12 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Erm...sorry for spinning off-topic...

Posts: 20 | Location: Springfield, Missouri, USA | Registered: 12 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
rbianco:

Since Spider-Man is opening, interesting note that with all the money flying around, none goes into the pocket of one of its creators: Steve Ditko. Having sold his rights years ago, he says...."not enough to even buy that cup of coffee."

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pas de problem. Her insistence that condoms were a tool of the devil (her ban on it, etc) ended up creating more kids for her to help. It's very simple, really. She insists that condoms and anti-conception methods are no good. Poor and uneducted people in India and elsewhere engage in the one free activity that brings them pleasure. Babies are born. When food shortages come, the babies (now young children) are sent to her hospices. She cares for them until they die.
-No to mention that thousands were infected with AIDS and other std's in the process.

How now, Dark Senor?

Cheers, Translator

Lem Reader

Posts: 626 | Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An old argument. Her witholding of condoms did not create babies. People having sex created babies. This is simple biology.

Her work was to assist the poor, homeless and hungry. She will be remembered for her work for many, many years.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never argued it was new. Ignorant people making babies need to be taught how not to make them. Opposing such teaching leads to the creation of more babies. More babies means more mouths to feed. Conclusion: It was a bad idea not to teach them.

Cheers, Translator

Lem Reader

posted Hide Post
Translator:

Since scripture makes it clear that every word that comes out of our mouth will be judged, then perhaps we should all shut-up and make judgment less severe? Naw! It's our relationship with the judge, that tempers are words, and judgment humane.
(I don't know, thought you needed to hear that!)