Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Moon Landing 35th Anniversary
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moon Landing 35th Anniversary
 Login/Join

posted

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Dandelion.
At his talks, Mr. Bradbury often recounted his experience of being scheduled as a guest on , I believe it was, the "Tonight Show" the night of the moon landing. Does anyone know of a printed version of this anecdote?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II

Well, it was not the 'Tonight Show', but the 'David Frost Show. You can read about this on the following link. Scroll down a bit to get to the part of Ray's Frost Adventure:
http://www.nationalbook.org/nbaacceptspeech_rbradbury2.html

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 07-20-2004).]

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard,
Thanks so much for that.
I seem to remember him mentioning someone like "...that great astrophysicist Charo..."
rather than Sammy Davis Jr, but it's a great anecdote. To think; as long as man has been on earth, he's looked at, wondered, mythologized, even written songs about the moon. Then, at last, after uncountable generations, to actually TOUCH it...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ha, I thought of David Frost on the anniversary day, as well as the oft-repeated remark, "They can put a man on the moon, but they can't--" Too bad Dennis Miller was too young to be hosting a show then. He'd have appreciated the opportunity he had there.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
__
____
________

Tomorrow is 38 YEARS since the Moon Landing.

To some, an impossible number! To others, an impossible feat!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
__
____
________

Tomorrow is 38 YEARS since the Moon Landing.

To some, an impossible number! To others, an impossible feat!

Thirty-eight years ago tomorrow I was at Zuma Beach with a buddy, that's north of Malibu for you non-locals. Our parents forgot to come and get us because they were glued in front of the TV. Another group of people were on the beach and they had a portable TV with them. Soooo, we kind of sorta broke into a lifeguard tower so we could plug in the TV and watch the moon landing.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At the time of the moon landing, I delivered newspapers for the long gone Los Angeles Herald -Examiner. For those not familiar with the Herald, this was an afternoon newspaper. So, it was just as exciting on the next day, July 21, 1969, that I delivered the news to my neighborhood subscribers. I remember the tall large headline type, as well as the giant photo on the front of the paper. Since the paper was freshly printed, the ink would make my hands black as coal. Finally, I made about $30.00 a month for my hard work. Not bad for a kid in junior high. Record albums, my habit at the time, were only $3.99 each, while candy, chips, and gum were only a nickel.

Posts: 189 | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At church, our minister brought a television in and we all watched the moon landing together. He thought it was a great sign of man's capability of growth--a gift of God to man. It was with a sense of awe and wonder we all watched those B&W images of Neil Armstrong back down and then stepping onto the surface of the moon. Absolutely amazing!

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Um ... I was minus-four years old (born in '73)!

Posts: 125 | Location: NSW South Coast, Australia | Registered: 07 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oz-crumley:
Um ... I was minus-four years old (born in '73)!

You missed one of humanities greatest achievements.
Test: Get out your grade school books to find out on which mission Australia saluted the astronauts by turning on EVERY light in the country.

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greenray:
...the long gone Los Angeles Herald -Examiner.

I passed the H-E bulding two weeks ago. They have torn down one of the ugly buildings next door so you can again see the beautiful golden H-E building again.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Dark:
At church, our minister brought a television in and we all watched the moon landing together. He thought it was a great sign of man's capability of growth--a gift of God to man. It was with a sense of awe and wonder we all watched those B&W images of Neil Armstrong back down and then stepping onto the surface of the moon. Absolutely amazing!

Your story reminded me of the play that Ray put on last year: The Machineries of Joy - about three priests who were watching the moon landing and how they delt with that fact in their faith. A wonderful play and story. I remember watching the landing on that day, I was a student at UCLA in Engineering, and thinking how proud I was was to be a techie and an American. It is just so sad that Mankind has not set foot on another body since that time. The robots, of course have, and continue to return exciting and very valuable knowledge of our solar system. My favorite picture is The Pale Blue Dot (Earth) taken by Voyager at the insistance of Carl Sagan. But, planting a foot in the cosmic dust and then showing that fact to the world gave me such a thrill on that day so long ago.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Too bad we've not colonized yet!

patrask, ur in Laguna Hills? I love the Sawdust Festival!

Free sci-fi mag online at:thelordshen.com

Posts: 178 | Location: Currently Flint, MI | Registered: 28 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I LOVE the space program and am glad we continued wit the Shuttle, Hubble, the probes and the ISS. We do need to keep pushing out, though.

I used to volunteer at the Festival of the Arts--which used to occur parallel with the Sawdust Festival. I believe I actually have a Sawdust Festival tee shirt.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post