Ray Bradbury Forums
Moon Landing 35th Anniversary

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1001093901/m/4521000011

23 July 2007, 07:27 AM
patrask
Moon Landing 35th Anniversary
I live just over the hill from Laguna Beach, in Laguna Hills. Unfortunately, at this time of the year the festivals are on and the traffic going down Laguna Canyon Rd is backed up and it takes forever to get a few miles down into Laguna. If you have never been to the Pagent of The Masters, it is well worth the effort, a truly unique experience that has been going on for many years and has put Laguna Beach on the map as a prime tourist attraction for visitors from all over the world. There was, at one time, a Fahrenheit 451 book store in LB and Ray was there to sign books years ago. Sadly, it did not last in the era of Amazon etc. We need a village atmosphere with book stores to browse through again. The country has become one big megastore of many branches, all the same from place to place. I guess we are truly just up agaist the Wall - Mart.
23 July 2007, 09:30 AM
greenray
patrask

There is a Fahrenheit 451 book store in Carlsbad,(California) that just opened a few months ago. Click the link for more information. I'm not sure if it is the same store or owner that used to be in your area.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/02/04/news/coastal/21_45_322_3_07.txt
23 July 2007, 02:35 PM
Nard Kordell
patrask/greenray

From what I understand, the old Fahrenheit 451 in Laguna Beach fell victim to a lavish misspending of funds, not the internet.
24 July 2007, 07:05 PM
jkt
quote:
Originally posted by patrask:
I live just over the hill from Laguna Beach, in Laguna Hills. Unfortunately, at this time of the year the festivals are on and the traffic going down Laguna Canyon Rd is backed up and it takes forever to get a few miles down into Laguna. If you have never been to the Pagent of The Masters, it is well worth the effort, a truly unique experience that has been going on for many years and has put Laguna Beach on the map as a prime tourist attraction for visitors from all over the world. There was, at one time, a Fahrenheit 451 book store in LB and Ray was there to sign books years ago. Sadly, it did not last in the era of Amazon etc. We need a village atmosphere with book stores to browse through again. The country has become one big megastore of many branches, all the same from place to place. I guess we are truly just up agaist the Wall - Mart.

Family friends used to own the liquor store on Broadway in Laguna Beach. I've only missed one year in the last forty years of the Sawdust Festival. I'm looking at a Fred Bonn original of Angel's Flight as I type this.

Some of us remember where your home is now used to be strawberry fields and Lion Country Safari with Frasier the Lion and Bubbles the Hippo being their two most famous residents.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley
24 July 2007, 07:41 PM
Nard Kordell
John:

I'm about 1 mile or 2 from the old Lion Country Safari. And they just opened one of the old attractions: calling it something along the order of The Wild Waters, or Water Park, some sort. Anyway, it's now open.

Laguna Canyon Drive is bumper to bumper during the Sawdust Festival. I actually took a short video inside one part of the Sawdust Festival last year until I got 'kicked out' (asked to leave...no videos allowed!). Maybe I'll put it on YOUTUBE and post it in Miscellaneous. Ha!

(What this has to do with the 'Moon Landing 35th Anniversary' post-topic escapes me like air in a vacuum of space)
25 July 2007, 01:03 AM
patrask
When I first moved to Laguna Hills, in 1977, I remember that Bubbles the Hippo got loose from Lion Country and wound up in a small pond just off Laguna Canyon drive. I also remember actually driving through Lion Country and watching the live, and not animatronic, lions milling around the cars as they drove though the park. My uncle and family used to attend the Festival back in the '30s. It hasn't changed that much, except Victor Hugo's is now The Laguna Museum of Art and a mexican restaurant. The folks down there won't let the twenty first century in, they want the world to come to their village but won't let the road be widened and the parking is just impossible and very expensive. Some day they will get with the program and the traffic thing will get better.
20 July 2015, 02:33 PM
dandelion
Time to bump all the anniversary threads!
25 March 2016, 06:07 PM
fjp451
Lack of leadership and misplaced priorities:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/br...e-moon/#5d251282604c

I believe we currently get to the space station via Russian rockets. Sad.
Now in our 47th year since Neil Armstrong took his historic "step" (7/21/69), Mr. B would be very disappointed in the current state of affairs.