Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wow!!
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Cool! I'll be playing on the Santa Cruz Wharf tonight, so I'll look for it!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you see it?

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alas! no. I looked for it at sunrise this morning too, but both times there were clouds near the horizon. Phooey!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember going on a week end pass from Ft. Ord to Santa Cruz. Is the boardwalk still happening there?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since this is a WOW! posting forum...tho this has NOTHING to do with Bradbury... this is not only a Wow post, this is also a "I can't Believe THIS is Real" post. (Or is life going by tooooo fast?)

Watch the entire short video. And tell me... do you have a hunch that this new iPhone is actually really from the year 2065?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgW7or1TuFk

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard, what a clip!! They go on sale in June 2007.

Two thoughts: Should I leave right now to get in line so that I assure myself of getting one?

Or, will it be outdated by the time June rolls around? (Talk about a brave new world!)

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure about it being from the year 2065 from the look of the phone itself, but the way they had it mounted in that display case sure creates that kind of impression.

Now would be a good time to go and register as trademarks all kinds of words prefixed with "i" - in order to make millions outs of Apple when they decide to use the same name. I thought I might register iSpoon, iCup, iCar, iPen...

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cockneys already feed their kids in an iChair, don't they?

posted Hide Post
We (in Lit 12) just read "The Murderer" and viewed RBTh episode. How great is that?

*I especially like Brock's use of the chocolate i.scream.

It's perfect. I survive with no LG VX8500cell, 1080i hdtv, 4gbipod, gps, ps3, MP3/WMA, or even a HPIQ770 PC.

Tapping away here into cyberspace, a Ticonderoga #2 pencil rests behind my right ear. Now where did I put that black marble notebook?

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cockneys already feed their kids in an iChair, don't they?

"They'll try and make me study elocution,
Because they say my accent isn't right,
They can clear the slums as part of their solution,
But they're never gonna kill my cockney pride."

THE KINKS--Muswell Hillbilly

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A little cause for pause and reflection...

A while back I made a remark in regards to Ebonics. I have no tolerance for Ebonics, no sympathy for those who refuse to learn, or grow, or change their bad habits. Considering my nostalgic feelings for the Cockney accent, this makes me a hypocritical racist. I need to do some soul-searching, and try to understand this and hopefully conquer it. I was not aware of this until now.

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

posted Hide Post
Braling II, that's one of the worst puns I've seen round these parts. I wish I'd thought of it.

grasstains, how astute of you to notice the discrepancy in your own set of beliefs. If only more of us were able to do this. (Without getting angry at ourselves, that is).

Anyway, you can still stand by the Muswell Hillbilly's right to his own dialect AND berate "those who refuse to learn, or grow..." And that is by saying that EVERYONE needs to be able to adopt more than one voice, to suit the circumstances we are in at any given moment. Street talk is fine when on the street, but standard English is preferred in more formal situations. As long as the cockney can write a good letter in standard English, all will be well. Same goes for Ebonics (but that isn't very familiar to us on this side of the Pond).

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My mother taught me a very important lesson several years ago. We were on the phone and she suddenly paused and said something like, "Oh my god!". So, asked her what was wrong and she said, "There's this black guy walking through the trailer park." and I'm thinking, "Okay, so does he have a knife, or something?" and she says, "No, I just looked up and saw him and my first thought was, 'What's HE doing in here?' " I'll never forget that and will do my best to follow my mother's lead in making no allowances for racism, from myself or others.

Until today I was convinced that my ill feelings towards Ebonics was not racially motivated. It's strange to see things as they really are, to see a part of myself which I denied existed. The Emperor sees himself naked.

posted Hide Post
There are black racists too, you know.

posted Hide Post
I dare you to say that to Oprah.Smiler