Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    WALKING ON AIR

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WALKING ON AIR
 Login/Join

posted
I recently found an old VHS tape of the 1986 made-for-TV film, WALKING ON AIR, which aired on PBS and starred Lynn Redgrave. It's the story of a wheelchair-bound 12-year-old boy who dreams of becoming an astronaut and walking in space, and was based on a story by Ray Bradbury. Fortunately, I still have a VHS player and was able to watch the film for the first time. (I don't think it is currently available on DVD or Blu-Ray.) While no classic, it was a very nice family film which, for me, had a great message: never give up on your dreams.

Posts: 2447 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To my knowledge this was Ray's only story about a disabled character unless you count elderly people in wheelchairs and he caught hell for it.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The film was nominated for a Primetime Emmy Award in 1987, in the category of "Outstanding Children's Program".

Here is what the reviewer for the Los Angeles Times had to say about the film when it aired:

“ 'Walking on Air' is quintessential Bradbury--fantasy infused with hope, optimism and a keen, unbridled appreciation of the good things life has to offer (to most of us, anyway) if only we’d pay attention."

And the reviewer for the New York Times wrote:

" 'Walking on Air' is an encouragement to the handicapped, a lesson to their detractors, a cautionary tale for parents inclined toward inhibiting their children, a paean to teachers who ignite their students' dreams and an inspiration to anyone who has ever struggled against earthbound imaginations."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Richard,

posted Hide Post
The TV Guide published some of the nastier viewer letters.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never heard of this!

Since the teleplay is by Ed Kaplan, where is Ray's story? It's not one of his collected works, and there's nothing of that title by him listed in ISFDB. It's also not listed among the unpublished stories in THE LIFE OF FICTION.

Was it published (in print) anywhere at all?

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
douglasSP, like you, I am not aware of Ray's story for this film ever being published.

posted Hide Post
I wondered if the story was never published due to all the attacks after the TV show aired, but since it gained critical acclaim I can't explain this.

posted Hide Post
I had a look on Phil's website, but I could find no mention of the movie.

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
douglasSP, the film is there. Go to Phil's website, click on "Ray Bradbury Film and TV" in the right-hand column, and scroll down to the year 1986. It's a relatively short entry, with the information taken from the on-line Internet Movie Database.

posted Hide Post
Thanks, Richard! I must've scrolled right past it.

posted Hide Post
Physician Assistant Hayley Arceneaux, who lost part of a leg to bone cancer as as child and whose missing bones were replaced with prosthetics, has been selected to be a member of the all-civilian crew on the SpaceX space mission planned for later this year. Perhaps Ray's vision in the made-for-TV movie, WALKING ON AIR, wasn't very far off the mark after all. To read about Ms. Arceneaux and her inspiring story, just click on the link below:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56159726