Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Coming Soon...

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coming Soon...
 Login/Join

posted
I think I've mentioned this before somewhere (but can't find the original post). Anyhoo...

Salem Press has a new volume in the CRITICAL INSIGHTS series coming very very soon: FAHRENHEIT 451. It's a collection of essays looking at different aspects of the Bradbury's book. Everything in the volume is brand new, including an essay by yours truly on media versions of F451.

An expensive book ($85!), clearly aimed at libraries and schools/colleges, but cheaper copies will become available once copies get onto the used-book market.

The latest news from editor Rafeeq McGiveron is that it is now at the printers (where it has hit a slight delay), but it should be available real soon now.

Amazon's page is here:
http://www.amazon.com/Fahrenhe...ights+fahrenheit+451

Publisher's page is here:
http://salempress.com/Store/sa...ights/fahrenheit.htm

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now in stock at Amazon... but only one copy remaining right now!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil, this critically focused publication places Fahrenheit 451 in a category of its own! As with the works of Orwell, Huxley, Wells, Poe, et al, RB's book speaks to all generations. F451 is a timeless text that should be required reading in all secondary English curricula, though that is an entirely different conversation for another time.

Your post nudged me to slide over to my library to pull my classroom copy down. It boasts of many underlines, noted references, arrows, asterisks, and, alas, softly textured pages from having been turned in front of a myriad of classes taught and read to!

When our family traveled to visit Mr. B back in '09, we had been exchanging with one another for about fifteen years. We had spoken a few times by phone, and he had been receiving letters, cards, and photos throughout. So, upon introducing myself, he reached over, grabbed my hand firmly, and said, "Oh My!!" (I think he was pleased.)

I showed him this classroom copy of F451 (hidden away earlier in a pocket, a la Montag, since "Extras" in the signing line were prohibited due to the crowd on hand for his 89th). In any event, the true character of the text was quite evident, its hardcover still firm but obviously well-visited.

He reached across the table and taking his masterpiece into his hands, flipped through the pages quickly stating, "Quite a book! Huh?" RB, the master of understatement!

That day the edition was signed by Mr. Bradbury, William Nolan, and Michael Pritchard (reader of countless RB audio versions). Here is the edition we read - from cover to cover! - for nearly twenty years! Pretty good run....Huh!

http://everybookandcranny.file...2010/11/451cover.jpg

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post