Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Kurt Vonnegut - Birthday - 100

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kurt Vonnegut - Birthday - 100
 Login/Join

posted
The great writer and artist Kurt Vonnegut born of this day November 11, 1922.

Here is a photograph by Yousuf Karsh of Kurt Vonnegut and Ray Bradbury.

https://karsh.org/photographs/...ut-and-ray-bradbury/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Linnl,

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Linnl, thanks for letting everyone know about the centennial of Kurt Vonnegut's birth, and posting the terrific photo. I had the good fortune of attending a lecture by Mr. Vonnegut several years before his death, and still remember his mention during that talk of his admiration for Ray Bradbury's writing. He also commented, "Have you read THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES? If not, you should."

Ray Bradbury was asked for his thoughts on Mr. Vonnegut's writing during his 1996 Playboy interview. This was after he had already told the interviewer that he did not want to read in his own field of science fiction because "it's incestuous". When then asked about Mr. Vonnegut, Ray responded: "I know him and we get on fine. We had a wonderful day together in New York a few years ago, and he had a nice sense of humor. But I haven't read anything since PLAYER PIANO, and that was forty years ago. So I can't give you any comment."

My favorite Vonnegut works? SLAUGHTER-HOUSE FIVE and THE SIRENS OF TITAN.

Posts: 2461 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Richard, you are welcome. Kurt Vonnegut gave a lecture in Tuscaloosa at the University back in I think '94. I remember it and him as being humorous, humble, and wise.

The photo by Yousuf Karsh was for publicity for the TV series THE RAY BRADBURY THEATER and KURT VONNEGUT'S MONKEY HOUSE.

Interesting fact, both writers dedicated a book to Laurel and Hardy.

My favorite Vonnegut work is BLUEBEARD.

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post