Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    A Halloween Tree
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Halloween Tree
 Login/Join

posted
For last weekend, I was charged with the task of making a Halloween Tree for the lobby of the Fremont Centre Theatre where Ray Bradbury's Dandelion Wine is currently playing. To be honest, it looks more like a Charlie Brown Xmas tree, in orange and black. Smiler

Anyway, does anybody else on this board create or decorate a Halloween Tree? If so, why not take a snap shot of it and post it for the us to see? I will take a picture of my tree and post it Saturday night.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
For last weekend, I was charged with the task of making a Halloween Tree...

Well, he can make charges like that now - he's a Commander of the French Empire, you know. Or something very like that.

quote:
To be honest, it looks more like a Charlie Brown Xmas tree, in orange and black.

Appropriate, since RB disliked the Charlie Brown Great Pumpkin show. I, on the other hand, loved it.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For several years we had done so to our large flowering crabapple tree. After its demise, a sorry tale told here once before, our several year old white oak tree has taken over the duties.

Just this weekend we traveled out into the Autumn Country and procured approximately two dozen of the small orange orbs (Isquotersquash, Cucurbita, Calabaza, Zucca...) in anticipation of the perfect crisp clear night that approaches and will get us into the spirit of All-Hallows!

A scarecrow is also in the plans that will give neighborhood kids something to think twice about...

Fixed:
Nothing prettier than pumpkins in autumn- http://www.virginiaplaces.org/classschedule/graphics/pumpkins.jpg

I think-
http://atangledweb.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/scarecrow_oz.gif

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Autumn Country - the phrase has a sound to it.

Orb is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Autumn Country - the phrase has a sound to it.

Orb is a good word.

Time for the October Country, for sure.

I'll take the liberty of making color prints of any of the trees posted and give them to Mr. B at a theatre performance close to the hallowed day.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you've got a bad link there, Butch.
I get some kinda "404 error"...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For anyone who wondered who the GREAT PUMPKIN truly is:

Imagethe_GREAT_PUMPKIN.jpg (283 Kb, 22 downloads)

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a rather sepia-toned photograph - beautiful!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Ray didn't like the Great Pumpkin?

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Ray didn't like the Great Pumpkin?

No. I reference The Bradbury Chronicles, page 285.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
What upset Ray (and Chuck Jones) was not the Great Pumpkin, so much as the Great Pumpkin's failure to appear. This was an affront to the sensibilities, on a par with denying the existence of Santa Claus.

It is thanks to this affront that Ray (and Chuck) began to create The Halloween Tree.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is that a Halloween Tree on Mr. B's tie?

This a.m. before students arrived, I put up a collection of classic movie posters in honor of RB's love of the old movies and the greatest characters of early monsterdom. This, of course, in preparation for the most imaginative season: Dracula, Curse of the Werewolf, Godzilla "King of the Lizards," The Mummy, Bride of Frankenstein, and King Kong!

The "center piece" of the layout is a Something Wicked This Way Comes" poster he sent us years ago (signed)!
http://pers-www.wlv.ac.uk/~in5379/covers/fullsize/something_wicked4.jpg

Pumpkin carving this week!
"The night was sweet with the dust of autumn leaves that smelled as if the fine sands of ancient Egypt were drifting to dunes beyond the town."

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The questions are about ready. SO here's the plan:

'Ten Bradbury Questions' (multiple choice)...with an additonal 3 or 4 extra Bradbury-Bible connection questions (multiple choice.) Ten Days online. The first person to answer the most correctly in the Ten Day period, gets a very limited-print Halloween poster, signed by Bradbury in silver ink! I hope this doesn't sound too hokey. But I kinda enjoy doing this!
See photo of portion of Ray's signature on poster. Overall poster measures about 17" x 21" approx. Full picture and questions by tomorrow.

Anyone interested?

ImageHaLL0Wee!!!!.JPG (206 Kb, 20 downloads)

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bring it on, Nard!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A tradition maintained!
Our front oak was once again transformed late yester-afternoon as autumn breezes rushed and danced dry leaves down our avenue. The scent of which, I am sure, lured spirits of the season that much closer:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_YGVL...yOilPainting1960.jpg

Thanks, Mr. Bradbury!

http://www.fright.com/edge/HalloweenTree.jpg