Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Need info on Bjo Trimble for Tuscon
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need info on Bjo Trimble for Tuscon
 Login/Join

posted
Hi, Bradbury-ans,

I know some of you are old-time fen.

Is ray reading this? I know that Ray Bradbury knew (or knew of) Bjo Trimble 'way back in the 1950s. She is a famed Trekkie and BNF.

Does Ray or do any of you have an anecdote to share for our Tuscon program book? Bjo and John Trimble will be our GOHs and I have only met them a couple times at lunch. (I may have to compile from sources...)

We need anecdotes.

Can anybody help us?

Send replies to: glomc@dakotacom.net

Thanks,
Gloria

Posts: 14 | Location: Arizona  | Registered: 14 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BNF?
GOH?

WTH?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
BNF?
GOH?

WTH?

And don't forget Bjo!
Smiler

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Old English
Middle English
Modern English
(and now, to the chagrin of all grammarians)
Text English - called SMS language,Textese, chatspeak, txt, txtspk, txtk, txto, texting language, or txt talk ...of which I am completely illiterate. Thank you.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those terms (BNF,GoH) pre-date textspeak by years and possibly decades. They are fanspeak, the language of organised science-fiction fans.

If I'm not mistaken, BNF = big-name fan (i.e. a fan who has become famous for being a fan. I suppose the biggest BNF was Forry Ackerman, although he also had professional involvement in the field).

And GoH = guest of honour.

A true SF fan will also know about egoscan and corflu...

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil, once again...
"URABUT.INVU!"

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
Phil, once again...
"URABUT.INVU!"

You've lost me there.

Er,...klaatu barada nikto...?

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://latimesblogs.latimes.co...stood_still_1951.jpg Classic!

Per the aforementioned fanspeak revelation. Your uncanny astuteness to details, minusculely and magnificently pertinent, ceases to amaze me. Therefore, a cross-pond cajole seemed timely"
"U-R-A-B-U-T. I-N-V-U!"

posted Hide Post
Got it! Reminds me of a classic British TV comedy sketch (The Two Ronnies, if I recall correctly):

F.U.N.E.X?
S.V.F.X.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Got it!

I don't get it. Is "B.U.T." short for "beauty"?

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Got it! Reminds me of a classic British TV comedy sketch (The Two Ronnies, if I recall correctly):

F.U.N.E.X?
S.V.F.X.

That's a cracking joke. Must be in the fork 'andles episode.

Posts: 396 | Location: Never Never Land, UK | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those who have lost the thread of this thread:

http://www.dailymotion.com/vid...dish-made-simple_fun

- Phil

posted Hide Post
That gives a whole new meaning to, "Do I have to spell it out for you!?"
(So, Phil, you have proven me right again!)

posted Hide Post
So is Bjo a Swedish name?

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
So is Bjo a Swedish name?

It might be, but according to Wikipedia it's short for Betty Joanne in this particular case. (And pronounced Bee Joe, I believe.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bjo_Trimble

- Phil