Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Patriot Act
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Patriot Act
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Gary,

We asked for 'em and you gave 'em to us so thanks for the links. I checked 'em out and, unfortunately, and probably not unsuprisingly, I'm still unpursuaded. I think you would've done better to provide links that were less biased. (Press freedom restricted by the U.S. because they're purposely targeting journalists in Iraq? Come on, Gary, you know that's not true.)

Look, this can go on and on, trust me, so it's better I nip this in the bud now, at least from my end. I'll just leave it by re-stating my position that the Patriot Act isn't the end of the world nor is it the beginning of the end of the world. You feel differently. Fair enough.

Take care,

Pete

Posts: 614 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
okay, no offense though, but if you stick to view, your always going to think an opposing view is only biased.

i gave two diffrent sources of info, at least one of which is an unbiased because its a non-profit orginization that is dedicated to perserving freedom of speech and the rights of journalists worldwide.

our ranking at home or worldwide still makes north korea look like the hell hole it proably is.

now you can disregard the iraq thing, while it is true, it is contreversial.
and maybe was little inflated in giving more opinion then needed.

however we still rank at 17th worldwide at home.

this is much scarier then our worldwide ranking.
after all aren't we the most free country in the world?

no offense, it isn't a good idea to tell anyone what they know to be true or not true either.
after all,

even i can turn out wrong, but i make no claim to supreme knowledge. with contrasting sources and views, few are unbiased.

but i do feel confident that a orginization dedicated to freedom of speech has little in the way to gain by telling facts.

like i said i hope to turn out to be wrong,
for the sake of future generations at least.

just my opinion, glad this did not come to flames, or name calling or whatever.

wish you the best,
hope im wrong,

Smiler

Posts: 22 | Location: Winter Springs,Florida | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
((no disregard the no offense stuff, i mean it but im sure i could have worded it better, but im way out of it right now,lol, Smiler gah..lol, need to work on my grammer to.

**hits self with english book**.

either way thanks for making me at least try to back myself up with sources for once. loved the challenge. Smiler

we can all agree we love this country in our own way at least. and the freedom it represents, regardless of opinion. Smiler

oh..and bradbury, one of the nations greatest writers..let alone the worlds.

Posts: 22 | Location: Winter Springs,Florida | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
((oh yeah now that i think about it, is the movie version of f451 worth seeing? ive heard of it and seen clips, but never the full thing.

also aren't they making a version of f451 now? or have those plans been waylaid.

it popped into my head, and figured id ask.

also, does anybody know if rays working on another book, or has he hung up his spurs so to speak.

just wondering.

Smiler

posted Hide Post
At long last, the good people at the ACLU have finally filed a suit on behalf of a library, challenging the Patriot Act. (Apparently the ACLU has managed to squeeze some time in their busy schedule of making sure the public square is scrubbed of every last symbol of religion and defending NAMBLA’s right to advocate, well, what NAMBLA advocates. But they still don’t have time to defend against encroachments against the 2nd Amendment.) Details here.

I’ve argued on behalf of the Patriot Act but I’m actually glad this lawsuit has come about. Perhaps the issue will be settled, once and for all. Not that I believe that all of us, no matter how we stand on the issue, will be fully satisfied with the outcome. At least we’ll have something new to argue about.

Best,

Pete

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pterran,

Posts: 614 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post