Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    One new book and one reissue coming to a bookshop near you...

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One new book and one reissue coming to a bookshop near you...
 Login/Join

posted
Logotopia: The Library in Architecture Art and the Imagination (Paperback)
by Ray Bradbury (Author), Alberto Manguel (Author), Esther Shipman (Editor)
Paperback: 128 pages
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1897001266
ISBN-13: 978-1897001264
PRICE: $32 retail
RELEASE DATE: February 2008

The Best of Ray Bradbury: The Graphic Novel (Paperback) Reissue
by Ray Bradbury (Author)
Paperback: 160 pages
Publisher: IBooks Graphic Novel
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1596878169
ISBN-13: 978-1596878167
PRICE: $18.95
RELEASE DATE: January 25, 2008

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With all those old books and these new books Bradbury mu$t be a billionaire. Isn't $32 dollars for 128 page paperback somewhat steep? That's like 25 cents per page.

Posts: 162 | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Salamander:
With all those old books and these new books Bradbury mu$t be a billionaire. Isn't $32 dollars for 128 page paperback somewhat steep? That's like 25 cents per page.

A billionaire? I don't think there's ever been a billionaire made from writing before; if there is to be one, Bradbury is deserving.

Most authors only get a small percentage from the sale of each book.

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Salamander:

One must not think of this as a trade paperback but as a large format book. Here is more info from the distributor's website:

Logotopia: The Library in Architecture, Art and the Imagination
Edited by Esther E. Shipman; Curated by Sascha Hastings

With contributions by:
Architects: Hariri Pontarini Architects; Kongats Architects; Patkau Architects, Shigeru Ban Architects; Shim-Sutcliffe Architects, Snøhetta Architects. Writers: Lise Bissonnette, Ray Bradbury, Alberto Manguel, Robert Jan van Pelt, Nora Young. Artists: Adam David Brown, Douglas Coupland, Denis Farley, Guy Laramée, Michael Lewis.

Why are libraries such desirable commissions for contemporary architects and the frequent source of inspiration for artists and writers through the ages? Logotopia - the ancient Greek for "word place" - explores the library through architecture, art, and literature. With an astonishing multidisciplinary approach, these original writings examine both ancient and contemporary libraries - notably Egypt's Biblioteca Alexandria and Japan's Library of a Poet - as well as libraries of the imagination as seen through fiction, art, new media and pop culture. Punctuated with interviews and essays, Logotopia explores the library as a concept and a built form through four distinct forms - the Universal Library, the National Library, the Public Library and the Private Library. Discussions range from ancient Alexandria to modern Iraq and from personal experiences to national identities. This original collection is richly illustrated with photographs, sculptures, models and installations from the past, present and perhaps the future.

Cambridge Galleries (02/2008) 128 pp 105 col. ill. 10 x 8.5 in softcover 978-1-897001-26-4

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A billionaire? I don't know about that, but when I showed him my DVD of The Twilight Zone Season One ('85) a few weeks ago, he asked if I could get him a copy, and said that he would pay me for it, so I know he must be worth at least $35.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
A billionaire? I don't know about that, but when I showed him my DVD of The Twilight Zone Season One ('85) a few weeks ago, he asked if I could get him a copy, and said that he would pay me for it, so I know he must be worth at least $35.

And then there is this $25 DVD:

The Exciting Story of the 3 Founders of Modern Day Sci-Fi. Forry Ackerman, Ray Bradbury, and Ray Harryhausen. See how they created "Famous Monsters Magazine, Fahrenheit 451 and some of the greatest special effects in Cinema History. From "King Kong to Star Wars, these 3 influenced many of today's greatest minds. In 1939 a group of visionaries gathered at Clifton's Cafeteria. From that meeting NASA Scientists, Hollywood's greatest directors and modern day film special effects artists were inspired and went on to create some of the world's greatest achievements. Special Appearances by: Directors: Frank Darabont and John Landis Special Effects: Phil Tippet of Phil Tippet Studios, and Dennis Muren of ILM NASA, JPL Scientists and Many More. Join Dennis, Frank, Phil, John, and others as they salute the 3 greatest contributors to modern day science fiction. See how these men inspired NASA Scientists, Authors, Hollywood Directors and many others to take the risks and become DREAM PIONEERS.

John King Tarpinian

ImageSciFiPioneers.jpg (64 Kb, 8 downloads)

posted Hide Post
Exciting things happening in Hollywoodland!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
And then there is this $25 DVD

Yeah, but he probably already has that.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
I noticed in Sam Weller's book on Ray Bradbury a photo of Bradbury and Hugh Hefner at the top of the page, and at the bottom of the page a photo of Bradbury with President Bush. No one puts photos on a page in such a position but to make a statement. Is the statement sex is better than politics or he's just more friendly with Democrats?

Posts: 162 | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you're reading too much into a chance layout.

But I wouldn't hesitate to put just about anyone ahead of W.

Actually, RB supports the current administration. Why is anyone's guess.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Doug Spaulding, there is no chance layout. Publishers pay people big money to design pages and layouts and there is an editorial guideline behind all that goes down on the printed page. Editors fight over the placement of design and photos on pages. You sound like one of those Politically Correct guys. Bradbury says he's a Republican? Where did he say that?

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by embroiderer:
You sound like one of those Politically Correct guys. Bradbury says he's a Republican? Where did he say that?

I'm about as politically incorrect as you can get!

No one said that RB claims to be Republican. He used to be a fairly liberal Democrat, now he's an Independent (as am I). I just said that he supports the current administration.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
It appears that the release of The Best of Ray Bradbury: The Graphic Novel, has been delayed.
Any information on this release will be much appreciated.

Posts: 189 | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greenray:
It appears that the release of The Best of Ray Bradbury: The Graphic Novel, has been delayed.
Any information on this release will be much appreciated.

That's a shame. I have the First Printing from 2003 and am surprised that a re-issue would be delayed.

John King Tarpinian