Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    THE END OF THE WORLD!
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 24

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

THE END OF THE WORLD!
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
I searched the site, but simply could not find any Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans.

Then you shoud try this site.

Brilliant - thanks!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
...a pot of hottish water and a teabag on the side!

Hottish is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Our pet peeve regarding tea served here in restaurants is not necessarily the quality of the tea itself...

I occasionally found good iced tea in the deep south (ice cold and syrupy sweet), but these western folks don't know from tea - all you can get out here (and up north I should think) is unsweetened tea!

Now what they don't understand about tea is, that it is extremely difficult to sweeten after it's already cold!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Hottish is not a good word...tepid, now that's a word.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a bit lukewarm when it comes to "tepid".

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Curious, I have always found the word "putrid" quite a disgusting sounding word! (I believe my first aversion came in my youth while reading Steinbeck's "The Pony." Remember those buzzards?)

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, put that way Phil I'm a tad warmish on it too, lukewarm is much better.

Putrid is a foul sounding word, Fjp. I think we associate the word with the image, yet so many words seem so appropriate, its uncanny. I have a definite lifelong fascination with words and reading.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...and, of course, Mr. B's graceful line in DW from Col. Freeleigh's talk with the boys, about "Shiloh."

"There's never been a year in my life I haven't thought, what a lovely name and what a shame to see it only on battle records!"

How true! A lovely sounding word - with rich, historical origin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiloh_(Biblical)

http://www.civilwaralbum.com/shiloh/index.htm

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...and in honour of Mr. Poe, the last lines of "The Facts In The Case Of M. Valdemar" :

As I rapidly made the mesmeric passes, amid ejaculations of 'dead! dead!' absolutely bursting from the tongue and not from the lips of the sufferer, his whole frame at once--within the space of a single minute, or less, shrunk--crumbled--absolutely rotted away beneath my hands. Upon the bed, before that whole company, there lay a nearly liquid mass of loathsome--of detestable putrescence.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sundance, now there's a passage to read to the kiddies before one wishes them "Pleasant dreams!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
...and, of course, Mr. B's graceful line in DW from Col. Freeleigh's talk with the boys, about "Shiloh."

"There's never been a year in my life I haven't thought, what a lovely name and what a shame to see it only on battle records!"

And Neil Diamond songs!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
Sundance, now there's a passage to read to the kiddies before one wishes them "Pleasant dreams!"

Indeed - especially if your kiddie's names are Wednesday and Pugsley!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Good, a change in vibe has happened on this thread. It was getting a little ummm... you know.

As for Bond... I like the Lazenby movie best, but Connery is my favorite Bond. Grew up watching Roger Moore as Bond and still see him in my mind's eye when Bond is mentioned.

At work when things get hairy I'll often shout to no one specifically and everyone in general, "Get me Jack Bauer on the phone, NOW!!!"

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got me a CTU coffee cup at work; the 24 one was sold out. Hope everyone got to see the 4hr season opener. No spoilers, but wow, how much can one man sacrifice for his country.

Posts: 195 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grasstains:
As for Bond... I like the Lazenby movie best, but Connery is my favorite Bond.

I believe it was Maltin who said that OHMSS would have been the best Bond film ever, had Connery played the part.

"Live Forever!"