Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    THE END OF THE WORLD!
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 24

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

THE END OF THE WORLD!
 Login/Join

posted
As Ray says, will never happen.

http://men.msn.com/articlepm.aspx?cp-documentid=1628365>1=8991

Some smart scientist will figure out how to explode this thing, head it off course, burn it up, or all of the above. The hero doesn't necessarily have to be an American man. It could be a Russian woman, or a whole team!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Eeek.
I do know a few Russian women who could handle it, though!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder if God would let it happen?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
God will not let it happen before He's really done with this planet. He's just trying to shake us up a little.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is it THE HAMMER OF GOD?
http://www.amazon.com/Hammer-God-Arthur-C-Clarke/dp/055.../002-8954931-9527258

Or is it LUCIFER'S HAMMER?
http://www.amazon.com/Lucifers-Hammer-Larry-Niven/dp/04...7258?ie=UTF8&s=books

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biplane1:
I wonder if God would let it happen?

Do you know, I think God takes very little intervention in day-to-day operations of the planet. I believe God pretty much lets us caretakers do our job and rarely interferes with it.

Take all the terrible evils in the world past and present - does God not exist because of them? Athiests would probably argue so, but we believers would reject that, knowing there is a God. How then do we rectify it in our minds? Like I say, just realize that although God exists, we're pretty much on our own as far as logistics go.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grasstains:
Is it THE HAMMER OF GOD?
Or is it LUCIFER'S HAMMER?

No, it's just nature in action.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug :
God is concerned and works in the activity of a single cell. All the stars we see (and don't see), the galaxies, the whole entire universe, are all but a tip of the iceberg in God's creation!! Do you actually think there is something God has not had a direct hand in? Then, you are not talking about GOD. You are talking about...? Well, exactly what is it you are talking about?

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
Well, exactly what is it you are talking about?

God.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Doug:::

Well, if it be God, where do you find in scripture that God takes such a back seat to everything? (referring to your above post).

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
Well, if it be God, where do you find in scripture that God takes such a back seat to everything? (referring to your above post).

Scripture is a poor reflection of God.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
WHAT!!!!???
You lost me!

Well, let me ask you something that is in scripture ...if it is such a poor reflection....maybe I can expect a poor answer, right?

Who is the only person God the Father recognizes? And no one else! You, Me? a Jew? Paul? Peter? etc etc. what's your answer?

posted Hide Post
DOUG:

I have to run out on an appointment, so I have to leave this wonderful posting moment, but NOT without answer to my above question:

One of the answers is located in Ephesians, First Chapter, around verses 4-5

"Long ago, even before he made the world, God loved us and chose us in Christ to be holy and without fault in his eyes. His unchanging plan has always been to adopt us into his own family by bringing us to himself through Jesus Christ. And this gave his great pleasure."

All thru scripture you will always read that we are only pleasing to the Father when he sees his own Son. When he took us and inserted us into the character of his Son, he now sees us fashioned in the character of his Son. No matter what personality you take from the Old or New Testament, it is ALWAYS that person cradled in the character of Christ that the father recognizes. Go ahead and look for another recognition. You won't find any. The gift of God, as stated in Ephesians and elsewhere, is that God took 'us' and 'put' us into the person of Christ (squeezed us, so to speak, into the personality of Christ and thus strained out the unfamiliar and the damned in us) so that we would be 'known' by him.

posted Hide Post
God is not a defined word though many people seem quite sure they know exactly what it means. My sense is that we can experience God inside the limits of our human frame of reference, but no person can tell another person either who God is or what God is.

To make people conscious of that, I ask whether or not an insect can tell you what it is like to be a bird. Can an insect escape the frame of reference in which an insect lives in order to describe a whole new level of reality? Can a horse tell another horse what it is like to be a human being? Can a horse step outside the realm of a horse's consciousness to describe a realm of being they have no way of understanding? Can a human being escape the limits of our humanity to describe God? What makes us think God can fit into a human consciousness? Is that not why all our pictures of God wind up being an expanded human being? It was a Greek philosopher named Xenophanes who said, "If horses had Gods, they would look like horses!"

Defining God is not within the capacity of our human competence.

True religion is always religion beyond propositional creeds and defined doctrines. Creeds and doctrines at best point us to God. They never capture God. That is why I believe that religion must always fade into mysticism. It must move beyond creeds, beyond certainty and finally beyond words. That is not an easy realization for many who use religion as a security system and who need certainty for security's sake and who always turn religion into idolatry.

Thanks for the conversation; it's thought-provoking.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
You see, this is what theology school does.

Look, the whole purpose of scripture is to show you who God is. Now that's Scripture 101!

Take for instance, Moses and the burning bush. Okay, that was taught in basic elementary school. Moses talks to the bush and God speaks from the bush...and God says," I am the I am!"

So far so good. Now we go ahead a cartload of centuries and you come to Christ who makes that amazing declaration that he was the one speaking to Moses from the burning bush.

Now let me get this straight. God speaks to Moses from the burning bush. Christ said that he was the one speaking to Moses from the burning bush.

Now are we still having difficulty here as to who God is?