Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    THE END OF THE WORLD!
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 24

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

THE END OF THE WORLD!
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Well, I've kept out of these religious discussions (although I have been reading them), but I have to make just one observation. As a Brit, I have to say that Americans take their religion a lot more seriously than we do. Which is rather ironic, given that Britain has an Established Church/state religion.

But now the discussion has moved into areas that are even more culturally impenetrable. What is all this stuff? Limes? Bennett Cerf?

Doug Spaulding needs to translate for me, as he so kindly did in translating "wrench" into "spanner".

(Alternatively, I could start filling the board with talk of orange squash, Marmite, malted milk biscuits, pavements, lifts, car boot sales, motorways, mobile phones, Gilbert Harding, Michael Bentine...)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
philnic,
Sorry for the cryptic references. No one else has knocked me up about this stuff but my door is always open to a fair question.

The reference to “one whole green lime” is what James Bond would order with a gin and tonic. “A gin and tonic, shaken, not stirred, with one whole green lime.” This reference has nothing to do with the discussion—INTENTIONALLY.

Bennett Cerf was a publisher and a quiz show contestant on “What’s My Line” in the 50’s and 60’s. This reference also has nothing to do with the discussion—INTENTIONALLY.

Best to you, Sir.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those who may not know, philnic has made mention of a member of the British panel of “What’ My Line”, Gilbert Harding shown on the right of the attached photo.

Imagewmline.jpg (37 Kb, 6 downloads)

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chapter, thanks for the clarification. Of course by now I would have been shot or had my jugular slit with a toothpick. I did read Fleming when I was a kid but it has been so long that I forgot the password. Been too long since I've seen a Bond flick too. One of my favorite onscreen cohort of Bonds in the movies was Miss Tiffany Case played by...

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chapter 31:
No one else has knocked me up about this stuff...

Aren't cultures funny? In Britain this would mean that someone has popped round to visit. In America, it means that someone has fertilized your eggs!

Disgusting Americans!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rocket:
...Miss Tiffany Case played by...

Jill Saint John, Diamonds Are Forever (1971). Connery's last 007 picture, unless you count the "renegade" Bond film Never Say Never Again (1983), which, ironically, was better than the "official" offering from that year, Octopussy.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Malt Loaf!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Knickers!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chapter 31:
For those who may not know, philnic has made mention of a member of the British panel of “What’ My Line”, Gilbert Harding shown on the right of the attached photo.

Correct! What about Michael Bentine? Anyone? (I bet Braling II knows.)

I suppose I should have known about the lime/James Bond thing, as it is British. I've obviously not been paying attention to 007.

But I am baffled by Braling II's "Malt Loaf". What does he mean? And biplane1's "Knickers!". What's going on here?

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2805 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The former, methinks. I recognise the product (quite enjoy it, in fact). But why does Braling II tease us with it?

Maybe he just has Tourette's syndrome, and uncontrollably utters names of foodstuffs instead of expletives.

(Unlike biplane1, who utters names of undergarments.)

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
What about Michael Bentine? Anyone?

Sorry - I thought it was a rhetorical question. Thought everyone knew he was a Goon.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Well, you're both right. I was at once expressing my being fed up with the foregoing discussion and adding to Phil's list of British terms.

By the way, my wife just returned from Manchester bringing with her malt loaf; Battenberg cakes; Christmas cake; Lancashire, Wensleydale, and Red Leicester cheeses; P.G. Tips; McVities; and many, many chocs!
She was afraid to smuggle in any bacon, though.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see. I didn't realise Malt Loaf was exclusively British. Nor most of the others you mentioned. Does that mean Americans were deprived of the PG Tips chimps?

Son: Dad, do you know the piano's on my foot?
Dad: You hum it, son, and I'll play it.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Alas, yes. No Chimps, no Ovaltinies, no P-p-p-penguins...

I would add that Cadbury has licenced production of many chocs to be made in Hershey, PA, but they're not nearly as good. The quality of British dairy products is so superior to ours. They don't make Flakes or Walnut Whips and a few others here yet either.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Braling II,