Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Way too Long!
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Way too Long!
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I saw that, philnic; looks like I'll have lots of reading material this winter! As it is, I have 4 of his works (F451 is not one of them!) and have slowly been acquiring other works of his.

Posts: 213 | Location: New Berlin, WI, USA | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those of you just beginning to read Ray's works, go to Phil's site--pick a book, any book, go to a used book store or buy it new if you can, doesn't matter--then take your time, read, fall into it, enjoy. It could be a life-altering experience, just as it's been for many here.

Like grasstains, this is the first site I ever visited when I finally got a computer. I return here whenever the rigors of work allow, to respectfully listen to the wisdom of people who, like me, were profoundly influenced by Ray's writings. And, like dandelion mentioned above, many good things in life are limited-time opportunities. You gotta grab 'em when you can.

Posts: 109 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Im almost afraid to reply to my own posting, as fear that this will put and end to more threads. i am truly amazed how bradbury has touched each of your lives; who have then in turn touched eachothers. Sometimes you just have to have ask a question like i did to understand why some people do what they do. sometimes i wish i could have been touched as you all have, but, i shall not force somehting that does not come naturally. I apologize to those of you i didnt name. And yes, it was a good thing to not be on my list initially, but now, all of your posting have changed my opinion and opened something in me i had never seen before. so, thank you.
ive actually derived my name from ray's F451 when montag is leaving the city and is following the river, letting the water take him to where it is he's destined to be. Think of me as just a passerby in your lives, just another poster who threw out a question, recieved an answer, and was changed for the better. And, if your city comes down around you, and youve nowhere to go, let the river take you; always follow your river.

Posts: 3 | Location: Plainfield IL, 60544 | Registered: 31 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Riverwalker--For me, this is a hobby, and one I enjoy very much. Ray is my absolute favorite author, and I enjoy coming to this site to learn more about him. It is fun to hear stories from those who have met him, and it's fun to discuss his work. I enjoy hearing different opinions and different interpretations of his stories, and I actually feel like some of the regulars here have become my friends. I know cyber-friends are not the same as flesh and blood friends, but what's wrong with having both types? Maybe some day some of us will actually meet in person. We're not obsessed--we just really love our subject. Also, several of us on this board are teachers. I have often gotten good teaching ideas right here to implement in my own literature classes and my book discussion club. I hope some day you can find something that you enjoy as much as we enjoy Ray.

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ahh, peer pressure and the criticism of what others do. It feels like high school again. Fantastic comment, RiverWalker.
Cheers, Translator

Lem Reader

Posts: 626 | Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fascinating little list, RiverWalker. Spot the odd one out

Posts: 149 | Location: Ostend, Belgium | Registered: 11 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dandelion,
You can't just fade away, never to be heard from again.

We are part of Ray's legacy and would just have to carry on without him. If you left I'd be mourning the loss of two people.

How's that for a guilt-trip?

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey! Is RESOURCES turning to molasses again? Several times last few days I've click on SUBMIT REPLY and nothing happens!

By the way, I'm sure if you had every single edition of Ray's works, published in all their glorious foreign language editions as well, you would surely fill a very nice size library.

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard: I'm having the same problem with the resource page. Very, very slow, or not opening at all.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark:

After all the hundreds of deletes by accident, I don't know! Is it safe to even venture trying t fix things?

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A little trick I've found to work is to do a search under your user-name, all open forums, and click on the most recent one in Resources. Once in, keep pressing "next newest topic" until it says something like "there is no newer top" and then you can work your way back down by hitting "next oldest topic". By no means exit because you'll never get back in.

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just did it again. I promise you, it works.

I tried to go in the traditional way and after watching my little blue bar creeping slowly for what seemed like several minutes, I finally got the dreaded "website not responding" treatment. So I did that search trick and got in no problem. I even posted something with no problem. "save oh' save".

posted Hide Post
grasstains:

Hmm !?!
I usually go to the 'options search' and try sneaking in thru the profile of an obscure name I make up. For some reason, it tends to permit entering a password that must be made up of no less than 8 letters. This is turn switches you over to the page with 'Legends' on it...you know, those 'smile' pages. Now it gets a little tricky here, but if you pick just the ones that look like they are about to smile...not the smiling ones...but the 'about to' ones, then this will enable you to get to Resources a little quicker once you immediately click on the Resource icon, that's right after the smiley page is 'clicked on' to end that page.

Okay, then you have only about 6 or 7 more steps to get the Resources post to engage, and you'll be in business. (I kinda remember all this being a little easier not that long ago...)

Okay next... oopps! Excuse me, phone is ringing. I'll be right back...

posted Hide Post
Well, it opened fine for me just now, but I'm trying another trick in case it decides to stick again. I already have the boards on my Favorites, which is the list of all the boards in the Forum. I have just added Resources (Open) to Favorites. That way if it sticks sometime the regular way, maybe I can get in the other way. 6 or 7 steps to get in and post is excessive!

Is anyone smart enough to contact, not the publisher, but the website provider itself, and say they are having this problem on this board and may be on others? Also, is anyone smart enough to download the information, or tell me how to do it, so we can SAVE it in case anything goes wrong?

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dear RiverWalker,

Welcome to our humble assemblage of Ray Bradbarians. (Does that sound right?) For someone who got to meet Ray some 37 years ago and have been invited into his home on several occasions, I must say that I was surprised that someone was concerned with this eclectic group of RB fans. We hurt no one, oh we may antagnonize one aother once in a while, but that happens in any "family" of liked-minded people.

I think that we are all very happy to have this web site to convey our thoughts regarding Mr. Bradbury and his dearth (whole bunch) of literary works over the years.

Your having had a change of heart enlightens me to no end. Now you have, as an extension, a whole new group of acquiatances wishing to know you better!

[This message has been edited by biplane1 (edited 09-14-2004).]

Posts: 294 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post