Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Way too Long!
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Way too Long!
 Login/Join

posted
Please dont take this as a personal hit, but some of you people have been on this message board way too mcuh...and too often. I guess its not really my place to say, but i dont see how you guys (pterran, groon, Mr. Dark, John Galt, Gothic, Dandelion, thormachine, Nard Kordell...) could be so in love with Bradbury's works that you have to post things all time, several times a day, several times a week. Whatever post im looking at, im always catching pieces of your guy's convos about rambling off topic ideas and little spats all over the place on this site! You guys never give up. Hey, if you like it that much, do it, but trust me, im not going to be coming back here in a year ( like some of you. Others, ive traced you back as far as 2001). Its almost amazing how peoples intersts (or obesessions) take them this far...how bradbury's books bring people to a single sight so often, and lead them to be so fervently involved.

Posts: 3 | Location: Plainfield IL, 60544 | Registered: 31 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I may be so bold.....it's called sharing ideas and viewpoints. Also, I do believe that some of these people have become friends and this is a way for them to communicate shared ideas. I could be wrong, as I've only been around a few months, but I'm going on my personal experiences. What's the difference between communicating this way or over the phone or via email or chat rooms? It's still communication and a meeting of the minds.

Posts: 213 | Location: New Berlin, WI, USA | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Might it also be true that we all simply love the author? Why, because he touched us in some magical way that left us with hearts filled with emotion; joy, fear, wonderment, laughter and most of all love of the human condition, and an undying optimism about Mankind's future place in the universe.

Like Dandelion Wine, it takes a while for the emotions to gestate into a truly drinkable nectar. Very few authors have touched their readers in this way.

[This message has been edited by patrask (edited 09-01-2004).]

Posts: 257 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There exist common bonds between us, and Ray Bradbury is the bond which binds those who gather here regularly. "I came for the food, I stayed because of the company." After the initial respect any decent person exhibits towards others, something else evolved; A jugdement of character, then- mutual understanding(and/or acceptance), and finally- endearment.

The first website I ever "chicken-pecked" on the keyboard was www.raybradbury.com- I figured I'd start there because I know how RB has influenced me and continues to do so everyday of my life and by extension influences everybody who knows me, especially my kids. I was curious to communicate with others who had been affected the same way.

If there was a mom website I'd spend way too much time there too, but I'll have to settle for Uncle Ray's website. For next to mom, he is the biggest influence in my life. I don't know how better to explain it all.

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And...

Regarding off-topic discussions-
Politics and religion seperate many of us here. If not for a common interest in Ray Bradbury, many of us would not be communicating other than flamethrowing. These off-topic discussions have provided me with much fiber to chew on. For example, I'll never forget Mr. Dark's "books in every room" theory for providing a subtle means of influence for the kids through familiarity. Thanks again for that one Mr. Dark.

Sure, sometimes we have our own little flame-wars here. Before, during, and after the release of THE PASSION it got a tad ugly, then again here recently before, during, and after the release of FAHRENHEIT 9/11 it got very ugly. I left for awhile during the recent mayhem, kudos to those of you who firmly stood your ground. With two kids in the military and two at home it wasn't worth the depression, anxiety, and stress for me to hang around. I'm sure glad to see things back to normal and I'm rejoicing in it daily. We are fortunate to be able to come here and enriched when we do.

[This message has been edited by grasstains (edited 09-01-2004).]

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yesssss! First on River Walker's list of folks who've spent far too much time on this board! I'm flattered. Then again, seeing the others on the list, it's truly an honor just to be nominated. . .

Seriously, I've been lurking for quite some time, keeping my opinions to myself, and letting some of the others have their run of the board. Frankly, and sadly, I for one haven't missed my own contributions. But River Walker's post cried for a response.

I agree with much of what has already been posted. Speaking for myself, my limited experience on boards like these has proven that this one of the better sites around. Sure, we're gathered here to discuss a common interest in Bradbury but, yes, I consider many of the posters my online friends, though we've never met. So why not stop by to check in? As time has passed, I've found little I can add to some of these conversations - the Michael Moore controversy of this past summer notwithstanding! - but I continue to lurk to hear the ideas of others.

Overall, it's a good group of people joined by a common love of good literature. That's no bad thing. What on earth is not to come back for?

Best,

Pete

Posts: 547 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually, some of us HAVE met (I keep trying to get Pete to drop by for spaghetti on his next trip to Dallas). I have exchanged books and articles in the mail with some posters. A couple posters have been kind enough to send me copies of articles and/or reviews they've read. Several of us have read Dandelion's book. I've talked with other members on the phone. We've had emails exchanges off the board.

Besides, Ray continues to produce, and I continue to try and catch up on all the work he continues to bring out.

Some of us have met Ray, some talk with him on the phone, some have written or are writing books about him and his work, some have exchanged correspondence with him.

There are lots of reasons -- besides the great company of the regulars -- to come here frequently.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know whether I should be relieved or flattered that RiverWalker didn't name me.

Phil

Posts: 406 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"For next to mom, he is the biggest influence in my life. I don't know how better to explain it all."

Second that, grasstains, and add that in part I am going on here while I CAN. Ray Bradbury is over 80 and my mom is not much younger. Much as I would like them to, they can't last forever, and it looks as if I can't plan on finding any electric grandmothers or anything to replace them. So, once they are, alas, no more, it's possible no more will be heard from me, as I will probably be curled up somewhere in a noncommunicative blue cocoon of depression. But, thanks for the memories!

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I most definetly aggree with RiverWalker! This book couldn't have made that big of an impact on oneself. Its not like the whole concept of the novel was so out of the ordinary. I can understand how it would broaden ones horizons and open peoples minds to the dangers of an utopia, however I think people are taking things to serious about certain quotes and sayings of Ray within the novel. I can't imagine how Ray, next to someones mother is their biggest influence. The man is a brilliant writter, no doubt about it, but in my opinion its not a necessity to dwell upon this novel and constanlty cheer for it.

Posts: 4 | Registered: 23 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Again, evidence that many of the recent student-posters are unaware of Mr. Bradbury's prolificacy. I thought, in 40 years, I'd read everything he's written, but keep discovering more - and then to discover there's more yet to be published!

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bianca. I know what a 'written' is... but what is a 'writter'? You say Ray is a brilliant 'writter'. Please explain!

Posts: 116 | Location: Anaheim, CA. | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Complete Story Listings and Story Classifications threads are near the top--if they'd care to look. These include titles of collections as well as individual works. Maybe we should post some VISUAL AIDS! Oooh! Pictures of a pile of Ray's books! Anyone care to do so?

I have spent 29 years, solid, reading Mr. Bradbury's works, and am always a number of books behind. Right now, two and a half major story collections, one novel, and several smaller story or poetry collections still to read, NOT EVEN COUNTING other items such as nonfiction, besides many, MANY complete books and uncollected items which I HAVE read--some numerous times. How much do you want for a "major influence"?

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't most books include, in the front page or two, listings of what else the author has published? OK, maybe in Ray Bradbury's case, it would a couple of pages in the front of the book....

Posts: 213 | Location: New Berlin, WI, USA | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, but have they read the book, or have they just read the Spark Notes?

Here's a visual aid that may help: http://www.raybradbury.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000381.html

(When you go to this thread, post a reply to it, so we can keep the thread near the top of the list!)

Phil

[This message has been edited by philnic (edited 09-02-2004).]

Posts: 406 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post