Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Post War
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Post War
 Login/Join

posted
This article is painful to read. It provides a window into war, post war? Iraq.
What does it have to do with Bradbury? Read on about the tattoo on one soldier's chest.

With the first public appearance of Private Lynch tomorrow, I wonder if all the politicians will show up to claim some of the glory. She is, no doubt, an innocent, but useful, re-election pawn.

Wonder if Bradbury was anti-war during the Vietnam era?
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A16510-2003Jul19.html?nav=hptop_tb

[This message has been edited by Green Shadow (edited 07-22-2003).]

Posts: 333 | Registered: 12 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He hated Lyndon Johnson, which is a very good indication.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Green shadow:
I guess I'm wandering... Exactly where in all the windows...is this particular fellow and that particular tattoo...?

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard,

Look a little further into the story. One of the soldiers had the epigram from F451 tattooed on his chest: "If they give your ruled paper, etc." This makes the soldier, according to the reporter, "iconoclastic."

Green Shadow,

I guess I'm a little puzzled about this particular thread. OK, there's the Bradbury connection with the soldier and the tattoo. But then you lose me with the stuff about Private Lynch and Bradbury's stance on Vietnam. Your point would be. . . ? Guess I'm too dense to get it.

Dandelion,

Does it necessarily follow that because Bradbury hated Johnson, he hated the war? Perhaps he only hated how Johnson was conducting the war. (Though I'm sure I'm not right on this, there's the possibility that, like many American's, Bradbury was pro-war, or even indifferent to it, in the beginning, but gradually turned against it because of the way it was waged.)

I guess what I'm saying here is it smells like an anti-war thread brewing here. Am I right? If so, why don't we all just come out and say what we mean?

Pete Terranova

[This message has been edited by pterran (edited 07-21-2003).]

[This message has been edited by pterran (edited 07-21-2003).]

Posts: 614 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In interviews I've read, I'm not sure I'd peg Bradbury as a strict pacifist. In other words, I think from Bradbury's perspective, there may be some things he would see as being worth going to war over.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you read the article, you'll notice that Private Lynch was mentioned as being down the hall from the 20-year-old soldier with "If they give you ruled paper, write the other way" tattooed on his chest.

Good grief. Is speculation not allowed on this forum or answers to political questions?

Thanks, Dandelion for the info. I would like to know more.

posted Hide Post
Green Shadow,

I apologize if my post above came across as somehow trying to prohibit speculation or seeking answers to political questions. I know how sometimes thse posts can come across as being ham-handed but my intent was only to seek clarification of the subject under discussion. (Obviously, I thought I was coming across a little strong myself, since I had to edit my posting twice before I found it acceptable.)

But back to your statement on Jessica Lynch. Yes, she was down the hall from the Bradbury-linked gentleman. And no doubt politicians will show today at her homecoming, as will other dignitaries. Will they bask in her limelight? Probably. Attempt to claim her glory? I dunno, maybe so. But I don't share your cynicism about her usefulness as a re-election tool; I believe the electorate are much more sophisticated than that. Besides, who would you have appear at this kind of thing? I mean, besides, of course, her family, friends, churchmembers, school chums? I don't think you'd argue that they'll be trying to claim some of her glory. So who better to give this occassion the importance it deserves than to expect, besides the mentioned loved ones, political and military dignataries to show up?

(Lord help me, I think I just defended politicians!)

Sincerely,

Pete Terranova
Oklahoma City

Posts: 614 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I, also, on internet postings, see a level of cynicism that I chose not to make a part of my life. The motives of EVERYONE seem to be impugned constantly, and it just makes me tired.

People are flawed, some are evil. If she gets used, believe me, it will be by both sides of the fence. The anti-bushes will say she was a pawn and that the heroism was exagerrated to gain popular support for the war. The conservatives will highlight what a wonderful job our military did as they routed an evil dictator from the world. None of us knows the motives of these people, really. None of us knows them personally or was involved in the decisions on how to communicate the story. We just extrapolate evil, self-serving motives based on speculation.

Let's celebrate that she is alive and getting well. What's wrong with that?

As far as political cynicism goes, Bradbury, in his role as curmudgeon, seems capable of being critical of hypocrisy wherever he sees it.

On the other hand, he is one of the kindest and most gracious persons I've ever met.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark,

Nice tie-in to Ray. I'm sure he would be critical of whatever hypocrisy which might occur with Jessica Lynch. And, yes, we should all celebrate her well-being so I will. As always, you know just the thing to say.

Pete

posted Hide Post
I was wrong.

The homecoming for Private Lynch was simple and dignified. I was glad. No partisan politics. No long speeches by democrats or republicans. I was impressed with her family, her brother's poignant introduction, and the community, as well.

The family had tight control over the events (according to today's NY Times) and are not rushing into movie, book,interview deals. They seem to have a grip on the media
although an unauthorized NBC movie is
already in the works.

I am still interested in Bradbury's Vietnam views, his opinion of LBJ, and why. Actually, his take on national and inter-national events is often refreshingly opinionated and on target.

posted Hide Post
Green Shadow,

Classy post. Very classy. It's posts like yours that keep me coming back here time and again for the civilized tone of debate. It's a pleasure to "know" you through this board.

Pete

posted Hide Post
Duly noted. Thanks.

posted Hide Post
Never has a conflict received the detailed and instantaneous coverage as did the recent Iraq War. I just read "The Drummer Boy of Shiloh" over again. And the words of Col. Freeleigh in Dandelion Wine, "I don't remember the color of the uniform I wore!" also come to mind.

I have young military personnel - previous students from my HS classes - return to say hello to me all the time. They stand tall, speak confidently, tell of close friends they have made and far off places they have seen. They all seem to have grown up in such a short period of time, compared to others that go directly to work or into the halls of academia for 2-4 years.

The point!? If what we have seen of our next generation can be judged by our young men and women serving around the world, this country will be in pretty good hands in the decades to come. They are educated, well-rounded, patriotic, and highly motivated. Now consider and compare these attributes to the philosophies and regimes they are struggling against in attempts to lay foundations for future justice and human opportunity.

In The Drummer Boy, the war-hardened General speaks to the 14 year old drum carrier in the middle of the night, just hours before the battle. His message, the future rests on the shoulders of the boy. Play your drum with spirit, conviction, and confidence and the troups will be victorious in their cause.

Quite a request of a youth barely into his teens. But do we not ask the same of our young heroes today? They must be proud and stand tall as they do their jobs, for the world is watching and may very well respond to the example they set as time goes on!

Mr. Bradbury - for war or against it? Aren't we all against war but for freedom and supportive of our heroes who defend our rights in fragile and tense times?

There is always the highest price that must be paid if freedom and democracy are to endure. Tragically we read about it daily. However, I am sure the 14 year old in Mr. Bradbury's moving story went out and gave his all when the sun rose and the battle began. Just as those "kids" coming back to say hello to me do. These young people are the same from coast to coast -- and from North to South!

As for Pfc. Lynch, she made us all proud in her actions and her words. My point exactly!

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 07-28-2003).]

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow. This is an inspiring post!

posted Hide Post
As I am in Portugal I cannot have access to the article mentioned, which I would like very much to read, can any of you help me?

Posts: 73 | Location: portugal | Registered: 10 November 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post