Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Bradbury Waukegan Tour Report 10/6
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bradbury Waukegan Tour Report 10/6
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
libRArY:

Ray's old boyhood haunt, owned by his grandparents, was sold to some unsuspecting buyer about a month ago. Price: probably near the 285,000 thereabouts originally asked. The Real Estate fellow who sold the house was totally unaware of who had owned it before, in regards to anyone who made a name for himself or was connected to a prominent person having been born in Waukegan.

As to another 'tour'...No! The only tour of Ray's old neighborhood was back a couple years ago... With the weather having been so nice for October in Chicago, a tour anytime during the month would have been a pleasure....

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$285,000.00! Where did I get the idea it was $189,000.00? Perhaps I was confusing it with the price of another house for sale somewhere.

I did hear from a man who did a Waukegan tour on Halloween, but his pictures aren't online and I don't know if he knows how to put them there or wants to. They came as attachments to an email which open very slowly so after nearly a month I still haven't seen them all, but they are beautiful.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bradbury Park to be re-dedicated this weekend - read all about it at www.bradburymedia.co.uk!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Bradbury Park to be re-dedicated this weekend - read all about it at www.bradburymedia.co.uk!

Doug Spaulding, "Missed it by THAT MUCH."

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Phil for posting the link. An excellent interview with some new perspectives, or at least said in a little bit different way I think.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:

Don Adams?

Why does one "re-dedicate" something? Did the original one wear off? Kind of like re-affirming marriage vows.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:

Don Adams?

Why does one "re-dedicate" something? Did the original one wear off? Kind of like re-affirming marriage vows.

Maybe Colonel Freiling was not available the first time.

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
...Why does one "re-dedicate" something? Did the original one wear off? Kind of like re-affirming marriage vows.

At the risk of answering a question that was meant to be merely rhetorical: I gather that they're putting some new explanatory/celebratory signage in the park. Seems a good enough reason for me. I wonder if they told Ray...

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Signage is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine become blocked when I have a cold.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
quote:
...Why does one "re-dedicate" something? Did the original one wear off? Kind of like re-affirming marriage vows.

At the risk of answering a question that was meant to be merely rhetorical: I gather that they're putting some new explanatory/celebratory signage in the park. Seems a good enough reason for me. I wonder if they told Ray...

Philnic: We are dealing with a burocracy. The origin of that word is French but everybody knows that the English perfected burocracy and we in the States learned from the masters.

It would not surprise me if they forgot to tell Mr. B.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:It would not surprise me if they forgot to tell Mr. B.

Hey, it took the longest to get through to him that he had a website, or at least that it had a message board!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Hey, it took the longest to get through to him that he had a website, or at least that it had a message board!

Dandelion: Techincally, he does not have a website, the publisher does. So Ray is still right. It is more yours than his. Wink

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
A report on the re-dedication of Bradbury park:

http://www.suburbanchicagonews...ation-062809.article

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Hi Nard. This is an old post, but I seem to be following you through the different threads. I'm from Waukegan, IL. I grew up there and lived there most of my life. It was the town of Dandelion Wine through the 50's and partly into the 60's. Then the great Mexican migration started. I heard there was a sign down in Texas, encouraging emigrants to head to Waukegan, and go there they did. I don't know my hometown any more. I'm not surprised at the decline you witnessed. Some memories are best left in the heart and not revisited. I have to admit, Ray's legacy to me was a passion to write but I never really did much with it till lately. I have just completed a book called Running in Place (poems and other short stories) which is published under Christian Fiction for Kindle on Amazon.com. I have started writing another book since then. So if you do know Ray...tell him I owe him a great deal for firing the imagination of a young girl.
Better late than never.

Posts: 12 | Registered: 20 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post