Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Bradbury Waukegan Tour Report 10/6
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bradbury Waukegan Tour Report 10/6
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WeeLassie:
Then the great Mexican migration started.

I was wondering why it was that from within a hundred yards of Ray's old neighbourhood, you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting three Mexican supermarkets! Now I know.

quote:
...which is published under Christian Fiction for Kindle on Amazon.com.

Oh no, not Kindle!

Do you still live in Green Town? Your post indicates not. I visited there a few weeks ago, and took numerous photos. You may see them here.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WeeLassie,

For a period of time Ray lived among the Mexicans here in the pueblo of Los Angeles. Out of that came one of his best works (and there are so many), The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit. The best translation of a story to the screen. The original stage production was F. Murray Abraham's first paying acting job. Edward James Olmos was at his comedic best in the movie. Earlier this year, the stage play was reprised, by Ray, and is probably being brought back in the Fall...to be followed by an all Mexican language version this December.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I visited Ray's childhood home in 1984, it was inhabited by non-English speakers who gave me looks of extreme suspicion when I mentioned his name. Like, "We don't know him, and whatever he did, it's not our fault!" Best to just sigh, and think of the wonderful Mexican stories Ray wrote.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
...and is probably being brought back in the Fall...to be followed by an all Mexican language version this December.

So no Martian Chronicles again?

An all Spanish language version? But do you think there are enough Spanish speaking folk in LA to make such a production feasible?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Someone asked if I still live in Waukegan. No, I had a business in Beach Park, (between Zion and Waukegan) for 34 years, but a divorce put an end to that. Then I lived in Scotland for a year, Arkansas for another year, Colorado for 2 years, and now I'm up in Northeast Wisconsin just below Door County. It is here that I decided to try my hand at writing. Yes, for you purists, I had to publish to kindle. Sadly that is because publishing houses no long take "Unknowns" and if you self-publish you better be ready to put out anywhere from $5,000.00 up not including self-promotion. It is not easy to get started. Kindle was free. In hopes of making money on the downloads, I would put that to paper publishing in the future. It's a start anyway. I decided on the short story format because it just seemed to flow easier for me.
Time will tell if I'm chasing a dream or living in one. Wink

Posts: 12 | Registered: 20 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
...and is probably being brought back in the Fall...to be followed by an all Mexican language version this December.

So no Martian Chronicles again?

An all Spanish language version? But do you think there are enough Spanish speaking folk in LA to make such a production feasible?

Being in L.A. it is being put on a block from the Formosa Cafe.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post