Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    Books of fiction that really affected me.

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Books of fiction that really affected me.
 Login/Join

posted
What three books of fiction changed the way you think about the world outside your personal walls? I’ll go first, in order of publication:

Johnny Got his Gun by Dalton Trumbo (read it in the 10th grade and made me think about the consequences of war)

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (read in the 8th grade and made me think about censorship and the dumming down of humanity.) (Of course, I had no idea what the future held for me and the author.)

Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein (read it in the 9th grade and it made me think about religion and hypocrisy.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jkt,

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
jkt, great "q!"

Fahrenheit 451
To Kill a Mockingbird
All Quiet on the Western Front

They all dramatically pushed my perspectives on things human, political, social, and ethical. I have read all three of these works countless times. Yet, each encounter always brings about a new experience learned and a greater appreciation for the characters, their actions, and the principles for which they stand. (During my teaching years, I always felt honored to share these works with my students.)

I could pick up each of these books right now and, knowing exactly hows things will turn out, still enjoy the turning of the pages and the journey into the forests that ultimately will lead to the Book People, Boo Radley, and the WWI armistice (that so tragically for Paul Baumer is declared a few days too late!)

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting question, John. I think my list would be:

1. GOLDEN APPLES OF THE SUN, by Ray Bradbury. The first book by Ray I ever read, way back in junior high school. The book that lead me to all of Ray's other books, and a life time of reading enjoyment from my very favorite writer.

2. OF MICE AND MEN, by John Steinbeck. I was assigned to read this book in high school and do a book report on it. The incredible power of this short novel moved me then, and still does.

3. TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD, by Harper Lee. Eloquently speaks to the reader about the wonder of chidhood and the evils of discrimination.

Posts: 2443 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Without giving this the thought it deserves, for "life-changing" books or stories, I would list (in no particular order):

MERE CHRISTIANITY by C.S. Lewis
THE TELL-TALE HEART by Edgar Allan Poe
R IS FOR ROCKET by Ray Bradbury

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
By the way, the title of this thread should be corrected to read "affected" rather than "effected".

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Golden Apples of the Sun was the first of my RB reads (back in 9th grade...Wow!) and would need to be on my list, also! My "novels" above mentioned still stand as milestones. But Golden Apples stories will always have a special meaning in the scheme of things Bradbury!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com...10178_f04a769c9e.jpg

RE: We are currently reading TKAM orally as one of our summer family selections. (The trial is just about to begin.)

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great choice, Butch!

I mentioned a couple of years ago that I'd read "Mockingbird - A Portrait of Harper Lee" by Charles J. Shields when it had just come out. Well worth reading, though a lot of the focus is on her work with Truman Capote, so not fun family reading.

I understand there's a movie about her due out soon too; or maybe already out?

posted Hide Post
Hey there, Ol' Pard! Nice to see you here and there from time to time. I'm done correcting papers, you know!? So, a bit more time to enjoy the sunsets over the far mountains with a hot cup of coffee in hand...

Harper Lee only wrote one book because she said all she "wanted to say in that one book!" That's saying a lot!

(Heading to Nova Scotia in the a.m., with much to listen to and read along the way. I think I'll throw in Green Shadows, White Whale. It is a good traveling narrative. I read it first going around the Gaspe' Peninsula many years back. It should be interesting to find new meaning to the metaphors.)

Enjoy the fine summer RB folks. Any word or plans for a 91st at the M&I bookstore this year?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
Any word or plans for a 91st at the M&I bookstore this year?

I was just about to ask jkt the same question! I saw an advert at the shoppe recently for the party, but it said it was contingent at this time. I'm going over to read to Mr B on Saturday, so perhaps I'll ask.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DS: Please extend a sincere hello and love from the North Country. I have some stuff being sent his way when my feet are in one location long enough! Thanks much.
f

posted Hide Post
Have a safe and pleasant trip!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
Any word or plans for a 91st at the M&I bookstore this year?

I was just about to ask jkt the same question! I saw an advert at the shoppe recently for the party, but it said it was contingent at this time. I'm going over to read to Mr B on Saturday, so perhaps I'll ask.

As of now, Ray has decided to have a nice quiet birthday at home with his four loving daughters and eight grandchildren.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wish him a happy birthday for us, jkt! Really missed him at Comic-con.

Posts: 386 | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hummmmm.....This is tough (just three???).

Martian Chronicles
Starman Jones
Fahrenheit 451 (Goes along side with 1984)
The Illustrated Man
Journey To The Center Of The Earth <----Absolute Classic.

Sorry had to list five, and in no particuliar order, however I could (in all truefulness) list about 200 books if I actually wanted/needed to.

Regards,

Posts: 15 | Location: New Jersey, USA | Registered: 10 September 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post