Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Ray's Legacy    I need a sundome now!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need a sundome now!
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Nice, WG. Let me know if he ever starts up that cult. I have never joined a cult before unless you count being a Deadhead! Fjp., since I am now on this thread, I will once again tell you how great your story was. You must have some awesome cool kids like mine.

I just thought of another correlative story of Ray's and my real life. In '97 we had a flood here in Louisville. It rivalled the great 1937 flood. During that time, the sun didn't come out for weeks. Plants and trees were beaten down by the constant rain. It made me recall one of my favs by Ray, The Long Rain. He created such an alien hostile world. The way everything was in a constant flux of decay really impressed me and has stuck with me for years. The way the jungle like plants grew so fast and decayed and turned white in the never relenting rain was almost uncomfortable to read. Not to mention the lightning which zaps that one guy. A side note about our flood that we witnessed on the news was a distraught man who had lost everything to the waters. His house stood in what looked like a sea of water. Because he lost it all and had no flood insurance, he decided to try for fire insurance and lit his house. It was so surreal to see this guys house burning like a ship on fire at sea. I think they actually had the temerity to arrest the poor man for insurance fraud.

Hey, I just want to once again exhort everyone to post a story from your real life that correlates to a Bradbury story. I think it is neat to get people to tell and share their stories.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We've had a few floods here. The one in '82 made international news. Shortly thereafter, at a "reading night", I read "The Long Rain" aloud to a couple dozen folks.

I always think of Bradbury in October, particularly while walking in the evening. Something about the way the glow of lights coming through the windows of cozy homes looks when one is walking in the crisp air of an October evening is different than at any other time of year.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good one B-Two, The Pedestrian!

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Right now we're having our customary January thaw and it's pretty nice here.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rocket wrote: "Question: How often in your everyday world, whatever is going on, do you correlate a Bradbury story to what is happening?"

Today I saw a preview of a new movie about Andy Warhol. In the excerpt Warhol is compulsively eating Hershey Kisses while sitting in the Confessional and giving Confession. Sound familiar? It's just too weird a coincidence. Is it common for someone to eat chocolate while doing that? Was Warhol a fan?

================================================

"Kind and giving, all the rest is treason."

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
February and frozen again!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Snow here, more on the way tonight. Possible school closings tomorrow.

posted Hide Post
grasstains!!!Smiler That movie looks killer, I saw the preview when I went to Son of Man which is really good also if you haven't seen it. It's still colder than an ogre's butt here, which reminds me that Shrek III looks hilarious as well, at least the sun is shining today which helps a little I guess. I have to do chores now, bummer....hating the dishes, laundry, and general mayhem of my house at this moment and yes I am tired of stepping on leggo's at 3:00 a.m. when I get up at night, also not pleased that living room blanket forts are back in style but being that kids can't go out, I'm sure they are as stir crazy as I am, there, I feel better, having vented a little and that's good for an old volcano such as myself.. I'm off today (I was mistaken earlier in that it was today and not tomorrow that I'm off, forgot where I posted that as if anyone cares or if it matters...) It has been productive though as this morning I sold some of my cds and dvds to my store, went to the post office and sent several packages out, and then went to Wallyworld in hopes of getting The Long Hot Summer dvd, which they didn't have, so instead I got Godfather 1 and To Catch A Thief, plus I got some clearance thermal longsleeve shirts, one was Orange Crush(wearing it now) and the other was Batman(yes!). Well, I better scramble to get some stuff done so it at least looks like I tried and my wife won't beat me with her short stick, just kidding honey, by y'all....

posted Hide Post
Rocky, you don't get to answer this.

Is the Capital of Kentucky pronounced
"Lewis-ville"
"Looey-ville"
or "Loowa-ville"
?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II it is the latter. I know because I have been there six times. I heard how it is pronounced.

Hey, I am finally getting over my second cold of the season and I hate to mention this but it has been in the low 80s and sunny the last couple of days.

Bummer though for the folks that paid $3,000 a ticket to sit in the rain at the Super Bowl.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Biplane, sorry, my man, but that is an incorrect answer!
Anyone else?
(hee hee!)

posted Hide Post
It's pronounced "luːǝvǝl", but the capital is pronounced "Frankfort".

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
B-Two, I tried that on everybody in my family and everyone missed it. We are dumb hicks...

(I even almost rebelliously answered yesterday, luckily I didn't because I too was wrong, lol...)

posted Hide Post
Thought you'd like that one!
Yup Frankfort, it is.

posted Hide Post
yeah, ya got me on that. I owe ya one dude...